Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#158454 - 02/09/04 11:30 PM It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
It has been 40 years--YES 40 YEARS--since the Beatles hit our shores. What is your:

1. earliest Beatle memory,

2. favorite Beatle,

3. favorite Beatle song,

4. biggest Beatle disappointment,

5. saddest Beatle moment,

6. favorite song or album by:

a. George

b. John

c. Paul

d. Ringo

e. The Beatles

OR is you don't like the Beatles, just tell us why in 2 words or less.
Last edited by zaibatsu; 02/10/04 12:10 AM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#158455 - 02/10/04 12:05 AM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I love the title of this post. I just bought the Sgt. Peppers movie on DVD (Hey, I had a thing for Peter Frampton, I'll admit it, I was 14!)

1. earliest Beatle memory- Watching a special as a kid, no idea what the show was, that had clips from the Ed Sullivan show.

2. favorite Beatle-George

3. favorite Beatle song-Come Together

4. biggest Beatle disappointment-?

5. saddest Beatle moment-Johns death

6. favorite solo Beatle song or album by:

a. George- All Things Must Pass

b. John-Plastic Ono Band (although I love the song Imagine)

c. Paul-Band On the Run

d. Ringo-Storytellers

OR if you don't like the Beatles, just tell us why in 2 words or less

Return to Top
#158456 - 02/10/04 12:10 AM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
1. earliest Beatle memory, The Ed Sullivan show. It was not their first appearance though, I was too young to remember that--I remember where we were living when we were watching it, so it had to have been between 1965 and 1968. Probably closer to '65, because as I remember, they were still dapper.

2. favorite Beatle, Ah, the quiet one, George. Don't really agree with his religion, but respect him for his convictions and think he is a very underrated guitarist and wrote some of their most beautiful songs like: "Something."

3. favorite Beatle song, I think "I Saw Here Standing There" is one of the greatest rock songs ever recorded. For a slower pace, I also like: "I'm Looking Through You."

4. biggest Beatle disappointment, The drugs and the trip to India where they all, except George were disallusioned by the Gurus.

5. saddest Beatle moment, Other than the death's, the comment that the Beatles were bigger than God. Maybe it is sad, not so much because John said it, but because for many people it was true.

a. George 33 1/3 I loved this album with Cracker Box Palace and no Krishna songs as I recall.

b. John Rock n Roll -Great to hear John sing through a catalogue of his influences.

c. Paul Band on the Run--wall to wall, a great album!

d. Ringo Ringo--with "You're Sixteen; Photograph, and I'm the Greatest, and It Don't Come Easy--who'd have guessed Ringo would be the early leader in post-Beatles hits.

e. The Beatles: Revolver

Return to Top
#158457 - 02/10/04 02:57 AM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
It has been 40 years--YES 40 YEARS--since the Beatles hit our shores. What is your:

1. earliest Beatle memory: Ed Sullivan as a kid, with my whole family watching!

2. favorite Beatle: George, at the time. Paul grew on me over the years. George was quiet and I like that.

3. favorite Beatle song: 'Something in the way she moves' is a great one. I also used to really like Norwegian Wood. I was a sucker for a guitar.

4. biggest Beatle disappointment: when they brokeup (other than them dying!)

5. saddest Beatle moment-George dying; John's ego got to me, although his death did make me cry.

a. George "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

b. John "Woman" - I do like Imagine and So this is Christmas also.

c. Paul - I love his sense of humor and his compassion, and ability to not take things too seriously! (Not a song or an album, just an opinion)

d. Ringo "When I'm 64"

e. The Beatles

Instead of an album, I will mention seeing American Ballet Theatre's "Tribute to George Harrison" which included - besides amazing dancing - "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" "Something" "I Dig Love" "Isn't It a Pity", "Within You, Without You" and "My Sweet Lord".

All in all, it was overwhelming and brought a tear to many an eye and the audience to its feet!

I am going again this season for a reprise! I am sure if I thought about it I would come up with other choices from those listed above. My ex-husband and I used to fight about the Beatles and Hitler and religion. We had to settle out of court as it would have been too embarrassing to say what we argued about!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#158458 - 02/10/04 01:20 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
1. earliest Beatle memory - The Sullivan show. My parents were not fans, but even they had to tune in to watch. ,

2. favorite Beatle, - Paul

3. favorite Beatle song, - Michelle

4. biggest Beatle disappointment, - The breakup

5. saddest Beatle moment, - George Harrison's death

6. favorite song or album by: - Sgt Pepper

a. George The under-rated Beatle

b. John A great songwriter, but over-rated as a social force

c. Paul - great entertainer and songwriter

d. Ringo - The fun Beatle. My favorite funny Beatle moment is Ringo in Caveman with Barbara Bach.

e. The Beatles - One of the best bands ever.

Return to Top
#158459 - 02/10/04 01:29 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I will probably start a shock wave of horror through cyberspace, but I never liked the Beatles...

and the earth starts to shake...

Return to Top
#158460 - 02/10/04 01:35 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I wasn't allowed to watch them or listen to them after John's comment that they were bigger than God. I certainly wasn't allowed to buy their records! However, my favorite beatle was always Ringo - he was funny - how could you not like someone named Ringo?

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#158461 - 02/10/04 02:34 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Gasp Maria.... I'm sad now!!

1. earliest Beatle memory, Being ten and staying home from school sick and seeing "A Hard Days Night" on HBO... I was done for then... I loved every min of it.

2. favorite Beatle, George, my family was worried how I would be when I found out he had passed. I cried and cried. I got the DVD of the concert for George for x-mas, it was awesome, but sad too.

3. favorite Beatle song, that's hard to say... some of my favs are "The Inner Light", "Strawberry Fields", "Two of Us"

4. biggest Beatle disappointment, That I never got to see them live, that Michael Jackson owns their music and sells it for crappy ads

5. saddest Beatle moment, for me, since I was only 3 when John died, I would have to say George's death, and going to a show at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame that Yoko created about John and staring at his blood cover glasses and the paper bag they gave her with his clothes in it...

a. George : I loved Cloud Nine, and All Things Must Pass

b. John : Double Fantasy (excluding all Yoko noises)

c. Paul : I really liked his latest one "Driving Rain" also liked Ram

d. Ringo : god love ringo, I'd say I liked the song "weight of the world" not much on his records

e. The Beatles : "Revolver" or "Let It Be"

It's almost a funny thing with me how much I love the beatles... I'd say that's the one thing that any one who knows me at all, knows... I love the beatles. I'm sad that I wasn't born in time to see them in the time but I have the joy of being able to know what a huge influence they are on music and culture.

Return to Top
#158462 - 02/10/04 02:34 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

I will probably start a shock wave of horror through cyberspace, but I never liked the Beatles...

Maria, you exceeded your two words, so you will be properly chided!

To anyone who says they do not like the Beatles, I just have to say that you probably have not listened to much of it or are somehow prejudiced. It just always seemed strange to me. Unless of course the person who does not like them, just does not like rock or pop. The reason I say this is because their music is so varied--I mean you can't get much different that "Why Don't We Do it In the Road," "Something," "Octopuses Garden," and "I Saw Here Standing There." I just don't see how anyone can find a common thread in their music to say they don't like the Beatles. I guess you could say that you don't like their voices, but there were 4 lead singers. I guess you could say you don't like their instrument playing, but it varied so much, I don't see how that could be (it's not like listening to Boston where his guitar always sounds the same). I suppose you could say that you don't like the songwriting, but again, it is so varied: from "Yesterday" to "Revolution" to "I Wanna Hold Her Hand." I just don't get that broad statement.

Return to Top
#158463 - 02/10/04 02:38 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
CelticsPride Offline
Platinum Poster
CelticsPride
The Boston "Gahden"
I was lucky enough to actually hear the Beatles live, though I could not see them. In the Summer of 1966 (I was seven) they played at Suffolk Downs in East Boston. My family's home was right down the street, so we all sat on the front porch and heard the whole concert. Probably heard it better than those attending as we didn't have to try to hear over all the screaming!

Return to Top
#158464 - 02/10/04 03:01 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I never got into the Beatles, probably indicative of my age, but I love the song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". I was given the album, "Magical Mystery Tour" as a kid by my cousin. I now have that on CD and enjoy it very much. "Your Mother Should Know" is also a great song. I'll leave you with this image:

"Yellow matter custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye...."

Return to Top
#158465 - 02/10/04 03:26 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

I never got into the Beatles, probably indicative of my age, but I love the song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". I was given the album, "Magical Mystery Tour" as a kid by my cousin. I now have that on CD and enjoy it very much. "Your Mother Should Know" is also a great song. I'll leave you with this image:

"Yellow matter custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye...."

Fraud Pup--Go to the CD Store, Do not Pass Go, Go directly to the CD Store and purchase the Beatles:

Hard Day's Night--the first album completely comprised of Lennon/McCartney originals

AND

"Revolver"--this album is amazingly solid! Sonically "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Sgt. Pepper" is better, but Revolver is better music. Another good choice would be "Abbey Road."

As far as John's comment that the Beatles are bigger than God, what he actually said was that the Beatles were bigger than "Rod." He was talking about Rod Stewart and as everyone knows, Rod would not reach his zenith for another few years. All kidding aside, John Lennon (and I am not a defender of his) was just commenting on society. He was not comparing the Beatles to God.

Return to Top
#158466 - 02/10/04 03:52 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Whaaaaattt??????????? Earthquake in New Jersey! Even Sinatra liked the Beatles, and he was not a lover of rock/pop. He thought "Yesterday" was one of the finest songs written in the 60s. Gotta agree with him on that.

Return to Top
#158467 - 02/10/04 04:22 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
I never really got into the Beatles either, I am probably with Fraud Pup on the age thing.. I did'nt grow up with them nor was I ever introduced to them early on.. I am not saying I do not like their music, in fact I probably have about a hundred different songs on my pod by the Beatles and/or Beatle members. But I don't find my self thumbing through my library to listen to one of their songs. But I do thank the Beatles for bringing Rock & Roll (and music in general) to where it is today. I am almost positive that if it was not for those ol' boys I probably wouldn't be listening to some of my favorite bands of today. And I do love my music,, So heres to the Beatles!!

Return to Top
#158468 - 02/10/04 04:23 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Gotta add that I love the song Let It Be.

Return to Top
#158469 - 02/10/04 04:50 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Let it Be - Naked. I like it better that way.

Return to Top
#158470 - 02/10/04 04:51 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I never got that much into the Beatles. But I did see their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. I thought Paul was the cutest. Did watch their cartoon every Saturday morning. Anyone else remember that? I would sing along, but never had one of their albums.

Return to Top
#158471 - 02/10/04 05:27 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I never got that much into the Beatles. But I did see their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. I thought Paul was the cutest. Did watch their cartoon every Saturday morning. Anyone else remember that? I would sing along, but never had one of their albums.

I was disappointed to learn years later that they did not do their own voices for the cartoon. I guess as a pre-schooler, I just assumed. I think my mother must have been thinking about these cartoons when she dropped us off to see "Yellow Submarine." Of course, this is the same person who, when we were still kids, saw an advertisement for Fritz the Cat in the paper and thought it would be a great movie for us to see.

"Ah...mom...that...ah...cartoon...is...ah...Rated...X, but whatever you think, you're the mom. We'll be waiting in the car. Don't forget to give us a couple of dollars for soda and popcorn. Thanks mom, you're the greatest!"

Return to Top
#158472 - 02/10/04 05:37 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I think at that age I wouldn't have even wondered if it was there voices or not. Of course, I also watched "The Monkees" religously! Boy, what dorky shows we had then. "Lost in Space", the one about the Martian...but I did watch "Star Trek" also! Later on I had this thing about Bobby Sherman and just HAD to see "Here Come the Brides" every week! Grew up in love with Donny Osmond. Boy, now I'm telling my age!!! Actually, Donny was too young for me!

Return to Top
#158473 - 02/10/04 05:40 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I think at that age I wouldn't have even wondered if it was there voices or not. Of course, I also watched "The Monkees" religously! Boy, what dorky shows we had then. "Lost in Space", the one about the Martian...but I did watch "Star Trek" also! Later on I had this thing about Bobby Sherman and just HAD to see "Here Come the Brides" every week! Grew up in love with Donny Osmond. Boy, now I'm telling my age!!! Actually, Donny was too young for me!

Nice try Boomermom, but I've got to take this thread Back to the Beatles please.

Return to Top
#158474 - 02/10/04 05:43 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Quote:

that Michael Jackson owns their music and sells it for crappy ads

skye - Paul bought it all back a few years ago... it's safely back in the right hands.

Return to Top
#158475 - 02/10/04 05:51 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...

1. earliest Beatle memory, sitting in my brother's room listening to albums on his turntable and my mom telling us to turn it down!

2. favorite Beatle, Paul - a musician's musician. Great voice (not so much anymore, though <sigh>), can play just about any instrument (bass, lead guitar, keyboards, drums... probably brass and woodwind if he tried), can write in just about any musical style (heard he was working on an opera around the time he got re-married) -- and does it all without even being able to read a single note of written music. Musical genius. Plus, he was (and still is) the "cute" one!

3. favorite Beatle song, While My Guitar Gently Weeps One of the best lyrics ever: I look at the floor and I see it needs sweeping / Still my guitar gently weeps. And Eric Clapton really made that guitar cry.

4. biggest Beatle disappointment, Revolution Number 9. What the heck is that all about?

5. saddest Beatle moment, George's death

6. favorite song or album by: (you expect me to pick just one?)

a. George

b. John

c. Paul

d. Ringo - I used to watch "Thomas the Tank Engine" just to see him as "Mr. Conductor".

e. The Beatles

Return to Top
#158476 - 02/10/04 06:10 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
I think at last check michael jackson does still own them and it is one of his largest assets... it's said that with all his troubles he maybe forced to sell them... which paul would quickly buy them. There were rumbles about him selling them years ago, but he never did.

Return to Top
#158477 - 02/10/04 06:15 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
"As far as John's comment that the Beatles are bigger than God, what he actually said was that the Beatles were bigger than "Rod." He was talking about Rod Stewart and as everyone knows, Rod would not reach his zenith for another few years. All kidding aside, John Lennon (and I am not a defender of his) was just commenting on society. He was not comparing the Beatles to God. "

Agree, Z, but I was just a kid and my parents wouldn't believe that. I don't think it would have mattered if they did - they were shocked that anyone would THINK this much less say it.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#158478 - 02/10/04 06:16 PM Re: It Was 40 Years Ago Today Sgt Pepper Taught...
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
My Mom couldn't get past the shaggy hair! And in looking back on them - their ears were even showing!!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2