Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1579535 - 07/18/11 08:52 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Dan Persfull
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I agree they are discussing FCRA. I would come up with a procedure that works mechanically and follows the FCRA and ECOA requirements as best as possible (you can share reasons but not scores, essentially). The discussion for this change does state that you can say "bankruptcy" and the non-bankrupt co-applicant should be able to understand that is not them.

I think they are drawing a line on just how personal you can get in a shared notice and decided a score was too personal.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1579555 - 07/18/11 09:06 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Dan Persfull
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Back to the credit score being on the report, how will you convince your examiner it isn't used? An examiner can assume if loans with low scores are denied, they're used. The examiner gets to define low. When is the last time you had a subjective area in Reg B or Fair Lending and just knew that if you explained this to your examiner, they'd understand and ignore what they saw? It ain't happening!

Now a question, what is the difference between pleading this case in your exit meeting, or alone in the middle of a forest?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1579566 - 07/18/11 09:14 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Andy_Z
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Andy, for clarification: the rule states that Dodd-Frank requires disclosure "if a credit score was used in taking adverse action" and goes on to say "if the credit score was a factor in the adverse decision" the credit score should be disclosed. I'm thinking it would be non-compliant to include the credit score when the denial was based completely on, for example, insufficient collateral. Someone with an 800 credit score can get denied for insufficient collateral just like someone with a 500 credit score. You agree that in that case, the score should NOT be disclosed? (I know the scenarios presented in this thread have been about denying for reasons related to the credit score, but not the credit score itself, and i agree in those instances it still needs to be disclosed. Just wanting to see if you're in agreement about this.) Thanks.

Return to Top
#1579569 - 07/18/11 09:16 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Andy_Z

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I have to agree with you on this Andy, and state that this is not new. Way back in the 90s banks who were not scoring were having the score removed from credit reports so that they did not have to try to prove the score was not used. If the process was purely judgemental, we got rid of the score. It had no connection to our lending process.

Return to Top
#1579570 - 07/18/11 09:18 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Kathleen O. Blanchard
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Someone with an 800 credit score can get denied for insufficient collateral just like someone with a 500 credit score. You agree that in that case, the score should NOT be disclosed?

I agree with that statement.

Return to Top
#1579571 - 07/18/11 09:19 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure rlcarey
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Thanks Randy.

Return to Top
#1579575 - 07/18/11 09:21 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure raitchjay

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I agree as well. The score had nothing to do with the adverse action.

Return to Top
#1579595 - 07/18/11 09:37 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Kathleen O. Blanchard
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
One of my common "findings" in review Adverse Action notices is when the FCRA box is checked even though the decline reason had nothing to do with the credit report - i.e. the appraised value was too low.

I didn't cite it a high risk finding, more of carelessness and the fact that the bank just entitled the consumer to receive a free copy of his/her report when they really weren't entitled, and the biggest risk was having the credit reporting agency take action because of that.

However now, more than ever, it will be important to ensure the correct box is, or is NOT, checked!

Return to Top
#1579634 - 07/19/11 02:22 AM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Kathleen O. Blanchard
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Originally Posted By: Kathleen B
I agree they are discussing FCRA. I would come up with a procedure that works mechanically and follows the FCRA and ECOA requirements as best as possible (you can share reasons but not scores, essentially). The discussion for this change does state that you can say "bankruptcy" and the non-bankrupt co-applicant should be able to understand that is not them.

I think they are drawing a line on just how personal you can get in a shared notice and decided a score was too personal.

Why not just check "other" and state "co-applicants credit history" if you need to provide a denial to the other applicant whose credit had no weight on a credit decision. I believe something like that was suggested in the final rule. It's clear that only each individual whose credit history is entitled to a separate AAN with a credit disclosure.

Return to Top
#1579635 - 07/19/11 02:30 AM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Princess Romeo

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo
One of my common "findings" in review Adverse Action notices is when the FCRA box is checked even though the decline reason had nothing to do with the credit report - i.e. the appraised value was too low.

I didn't cite it a high risk finding, more of carelessness and the fact that the bank just entitled the consumer to receive a free copy of his/her report when they really weren't entitled, and the biggest risk was having the credit reporting agency take action because of that.

However now, more than ever, it will be important to ensure the correct box is, or is NOT, checked!

Agreed. I see that very frequently. The box is automatically checked. And I see crazy comments added there.

Return to Top
#1579685 - 07/19/11 01:43 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Kathleen O. Blanchard
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
With all the changes, I think the review process will be very important. Currently, I (Comliance Officer) review all adverse action notices before they are sent out. I have actually been able to correct those little mistakes, such as checking the FCRA box when not needed.

If you don't have a review process, I would recommend. If you do, make sure your reviewer is up to speed on all the changes relating to AANs.

Return to Top
#1579700 - 07/19/11 02:13 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure ahkcompliance
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Why not just check "other" and state "co-applicants credit history"....

Because that does not meet the specificity requirements of Regulation B. There is one credit application from a Regulation B standpoint, you have to tell the applicants (whether in one notice or two) the specific reasons for adverse action. You cannot say - sorry - you don't meet our credit standards.

Return to Top
#1579717 - 07/19/11 02:28 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure rlcarey
NLC Offline
Gold Star
Center of US
Question about adverse action notice for a debit card in which we pulled a credit report. Do we use the new form and disclose the four items on the credit report? As I read the reg it only talks about credit denials.

Return to Top
#1580151 - 07/20/11 02:17 AM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure rlcarey
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Why not just check "other" and state "co-applicants credit history"....

Because that does not meet the specificity requirements of Regulation B. There is one credit application from a Regulation B standpoint, you have to tell the applicants (whether in one notice or two) the specific reasons for adverse action. You cannot say - sorry - you don't meet our credit standards.

So being as specific as to say the "co-applicant's credit history had weaknesses" is not enough? I guess I was just fixated on the following from the commentary:
3. Description of reasons. A creditor need not describe how or why a factor adversely affected an applicant. For example, the notice may say “length of residence” rather than “too short a period of residence.”

Just trying to rationalize that point, so I would be very appreciative if the holes in my logic were discussed in further detail. I know there will be questions on this point in the future..
Last edited by Compliance Rules; 07/20/11 02:18 AM.
Return to Top
#1580160 - 07/20/11 06:03 AM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Sheldon Hendrix
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think credit history is too broad - you would not get away with that on a single applicant. It could be past due loans, collections, bankruptcy, lack of credit history, etc, etc. Also, you will not find such a broad statement included on the example AANs in Regulation B.

Statement of specific reasons. The statement of reasons for adverse action required by paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section must be specific and indicate the principal reason(s) for the adverse action. Statements that the adverse action was based on the creditor's internal standards or policies or that the applicant, joint applicant, or similar party failed to achieve a qualifying score on the creditor's credit scoring system are insufficient.

Return to Top
#1580390 - 07/20/11 04:19 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure rlcarey
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
I think it is too broad for the applicant themself, and yes in that situation the citation you are quoting would definitely apply. I think it is appropriate, given the citation I quoated, that it would be acceptable to quote that to a coapplicant.

But now thinking.....

I may be answering my own question here, but would appreciate a ratification if possible. If the primary applicant's credit history is the sole contributor to decision a denial, then would we not be required to provide just one AAN to just the primary applicant since Reg. B only requires one AAN on joint applicants?
Last edited by Compliance Rules; 07/20/11 04:24 PM.
Return to Top
#1580444 - 07/20/11 05:13 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Sheldon Hendrix
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
So, it appears that in the case of a joint application the primary reasons for denial would be the same on both notices; however, each applicant would receive their own credit score disclsoure information.

Return to Top
#1580472 - 07/20/11 05:25 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Dolly Nugent
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
"So, it appears that in the case of a joint application the primary reasons for denial would be the same on both notices; however, each applicant would receive their own credit score disclsoure information."

Only if both scores (or the factors that led to both scores) contributed to the denial.

Return to Top
#1580478 - 07/20/11 05:33 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Dolly Nugent
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
I agree with Dolly - I think the reasons would be specific to each applicant, and on that note, you would only be required to provide both an AAN (with the new credit score disclosure) if both applicants credit history contributed the the adverse action.

Last edited by Compliance Rules; 07/20/11 06:21 PM.
Return to Top
#1581284 - 07/21/11 07:20 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Sheldon Hendrix
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle

Return to Top
#1582503 - 07/25/11 04:01 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure DD Regs
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
I'm going to audit that tonight if possible.. I didn't realize BOL had that out there.

Return to Top
#1582542 - 07/25/11 05:04 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Sheldon Hendrix
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Please and thank you !^^^^ I'll print copies for my underwriters tomorrow.

Return to Top
#1582824 - 07/26/11 02:29 AM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure Truffle Royale
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle

Return to Top
#1583189 - 07/26/11 05:41 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure raitchjay
ibcbanker Offline
New Poster
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
"So, it appears that in the case of a joint application the primary reasons for denial would be the same on both notices; however, each applicant would receive their own credit score disclsoure information."

Only if both scores (or the factors that led to both scores) contributed to the denial.

If you have a credit score included on your report, but it didn't adversely affect your credit decision (such as collateral, length of employment, etc) can you omit the section which discloses the credit score and factors? Or must you have it in the form, but leave it blank. That would seem confusing to a consumer?

Return to Top
#1583443 - 07/26/11 09:08 PM Re: Adverse Action Notice: Credit Score Disclosure ibcbanker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
can you omit the section which discloses the credit score and factors?

Yes - that language, if you read the model, is optional.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3