Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1586807 - 08/03/11 01:57 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) waldensouth
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Like who are they in their background? Varys (the Spider)'s background is described in Dance, as he rose to power in Pentos, before he moved over to Westeros. It's in the first third of the book, when Ilyrio is telling Tyrion about it in the wagon on the way to Griff.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1586998 - 08/03/11 04:52 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) waldensouth
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
Originally Posted By: Dazed Auditor
Did the mad king have a thing for Lord Tywin's wife? Could he be the Imp's father? I've heard this theory somewhere and after reading what I have, I do wonder.

what did you read that made you think that? I didn't pick up on that at all. Of course, in the book anything is possible. The 3rd head of the dragon is still out there somewhere.

Who is varys and who is Lemore?

I don't recall the blog site that mentioned the theory that the mad king was the Imp's father. I do believe there is a link on Amazon to discussions that talk about this. I will have to go back through the book to find where it is implied that the mad king had an interest in Tywin's wife. I think it is when Baristan talks to Dany about her family and if her parents married for love.

Return to Top
#1587007 - 08/03/11 05:02 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) Dazed Auditor
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I just think that there's more to Varys and Lemore than he has told us.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1587040 - 08/03/11 05:34 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) waldensouth
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Finished reading Dance at lunch today, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about where the story left off. I think all it did was annoy me. crazy

Return to Top
#1587046 - 08/03/11 05:38 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) RR Becca
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
most upset about jon. thought cersei's suffering wasn't as much as the poor folks in the dungeon and was well deserved.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1587062 - 08/03/11 06:04 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) RR Becca
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Finished reading Dance at lunch today, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about where the story left off. I think all it did was annoy me. crazy

And now you get to wait another 5 to 6 years to be annoyed again.

Return to Top
#1587067 - 08/03/11 06:01 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) waldensouth
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I think that if Tywin thought for one second that Tyrion was not his, Tyrion would have been extinguished long, long ago. Just my opinion though. I firmly believe that Tyrion is a Lannister.

Return to Top
#1587072 - 08/03/11 06:10 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) RR Sarah
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I thought the same and thought the theory of someone other than Tywin being his father was crazy. Now I wonder. Probably just over thinking it.

Return to Top
#1587080 - 08/03/11 06:14 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) Dazed Auditor
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Well, there is a lot going on in this series so anything is possible! smile

Return to Top
#1587118 - 08/03/11 06:54 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) RR Becca
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: RR Becca

So did I. He really left us hanging in this one. I'll say no more until everyone catches up.

If anyone is looking for the perfect gift for a little 10 year old girl, how about Needle:
http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/swords/needle-sword-of-arya-stark/prod_3.html

Last edited by KFitz; 08/03/11 07:08 PM. Reason: add Needle

Return to Top
#1589588 - 08/09/11 03:59 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) MyBrainHurts
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I finished the book last Friday. So many questions left unanswered.

Return to Top
#1595390 - 08/23/11 07:23 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) Dazed Auditor
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I finished last weekend - can we discuss cliffhangers, questions, etc?

Return to Top
#1595415 - 08/23/11 07:42 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) E.E.G.B
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
Yes please.

I'll suggest one. What is Dany's next move?

Return to Top
#1595502 - 08/23/11 08:49 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) Dazed Auditor
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Dany is just who I was thinking of too. I assume she is bleeding due to miscarriage? I expect confrontation with the Khal, don't you? At a minimum, verbally, if not outright physical combat. Not sure if she can bend this Khal to her will, wasn't he one of the ones who took off with a lot of her people?

Is anyone overly concerned about Jon Snow? I am not - mostly because I read an interview with GRRM where the interviewer said something about his death and GRRM replied "Oh, you think he's dead, do you?" Don't know if he can come back to *this* body, but I don't think we've seen the last of Jon Snow.

Now Abel the singer in Roose Bolton's Winterfell was really Mance Rayder and the spearwives, right? Is Mance really dead, do we think? Or is that a B*stard's lie? And along the same lines, is Stannis dead, as that last letter said (I think no)? I think Melisandre would have seen that one coming.

Return to Top
#1595520 - 08/23/11 09:06 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) E.E.G.B
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I haven't given up on Jon Snow. I refuse to believe that this is the end of him!

I don't for a second believe that Stannis is dead (or Mance for that matter). Seems to me that in the rest of the books when we didn't "witness" a character dying, they weren't really dead.

I never thought about Dany bleeding due to miscarriage but I guess that would make sense.

Return to Top
#1595529 - 08/23/11 09:20 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) RR Sarah
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Some of the spearwives are dead for sure, though. But I won't be surprised if Mance isn't - for one thing, a clean death is *not* the B*stard's style. And I'm 99.9% certain Stannis isn't either - for one thing, the B*stard wanted his 'Reek' back and the last we saw of Theon, he was with Asha in Stannis' camp. If they'd battled and beaten Stannis, wouldn't Theon be back in captivity, or dead?

Oh - thought of another question - who on earth did Brienne take Jamie off to see? She said it was Sansa and the Hound, but unless I've got my timetables mixed up (totally possible) I don't see how that can be.

Return to Top
#1595547 - 08/23/11 09:51 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) E.E.G.B
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
It never occurred to me that the singer was Mance. Good call. I don't think Mance or Stannis are dead. The B*stard is pulling a fast one. I think we will hear from Jon Snow again but not sure in what form. There seem to be a lot of characters who may or may not be dead. Will the next book be called "the Walking Dead"?

I also did not think that Dany could be having a miscarriage. She will either bend the Khal or the dragon will roast him.

Isn't someone wearing the Hounds helmet? Someone hanging out with Lady Stoneheart. I think that is who she is taking Jaime to but who knows. Seems like I overlooked a lot. We never learned what word Brienne yelled that kept Lady Stoneheart from hanging her. Will we find out in a future book in a flashback?

Return to Top
#1595577 - 08/24/11 01:47 AM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) Dazed Auditor
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
(The next book is Winds of Winter. Or WOW, for short. I hope that is a good omen.)

I forgot about the person wearing the Hound's helm. I need to read Book 4 again. I bet you're right about that being who it is. Boy is she going to be disappointed. It's neither Sansa NOR the Hound.

Return to Top
#1595607 - 08/24/11 12:39 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) E.E.G.B
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'm struggling to see how Martin is going to bring the stories back together at this point. Dany is wandering the wilderness. Jon's been stabbed, Sam (we have to assume) is in maester school. Jaime and Brienne (who may or may not be a zombie) ran off together. Sansa's story seems to be on indefinite hold in a strange, windy little corner of the realm while Littlefinger nurses an unhealthy obsession with her. The zombie count is rising. Bran is a tree. What's wrong with Jojen? Why haven't we heard anything about Rickon in two whole books now? Arya is halfway 'round the world learning to be an assassin.

The list just goes on and on....
Last edited by RR Becca; 08/24/11 12:40 PM. Reason: afterthought

Return to Top
#1595670 - 08/24/11 01:56 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) RR Becca
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Davos is off to get Rickon - I can see those 2 stories merging next book.

Does everyone think this mysterious huge silent champion of Cersei's is a zombie Ser Gregor?

ETA: To Becca's point, I'm going to be really mad if at the end of Book 7, he ends it with "and they all got run over by a truck the end."
Last edited by E.G.B.; 08/24/11 01:58 PM.

Return to Top
#1595696 - 08/24/11 02:22 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) E.E.G.B
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I think that Brienne is taking Jamie to zombie Catelyn. I believe that Catelyn gave Brienne that option (hang or bring me Jamie) because she believes that Jamie betrayed her.

Becca is right...the zombie horde is about ready to take over! laugh

Return to Top
#1595705 - 08/24/11 02:33 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) E.E.G.B
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Does everyone think this mysterious huge silent champion of Cersei's is a zombie Ser Gregor?

Yes. Didn't someone here refer to him as "Franken Gregor" earlier? laugh

Return to Top
#1595724 - 08/24/11 02:48 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) RR Becca
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I bet the silent champion is Gregor. They gave the necromancer his body after he died. I only remember this from reading other blogs. By the time WOW (I'm sure that will be false advertising) comes out, who will remember where any of the stories left off?

I think the last book will end with Pam Ewing waking up to Bobby coming out of the shower and it was all a dream. I will then go find Martin's grave and do some very disturbing things.

Return to Top
#1595734 - 08/24/11 02:59 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) Dazed Auditor
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I can see Martin sitting at his PC, staring a blank Word doc, saying, "What have I done? How am I ever going to pull this together?"

I'll definitely have to re-read the books in 2016, just before WOW is released. Looking forward to popping over to my neighborhood Borders store to buy it...

Return to Top
#1595743 - 08/24/11 03:07 PM Re: Game of Thrones Discussion (SPOILERS) MyBrainHurts
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I wonder if I'll even remember that I've read the series by 2016?

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6