Learn More - Click Here!

Page 26 of 47 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 46 47
Thread Options
#1588102 - 08/05/11 12:41 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? EmilyAnn
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Jane Eyre was always one of my Favorites.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1588106 - 08/05/11 12:43 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? waldensouth
Mr. E. Offline
100 Club
Mr. E.
New England
I'm about half way through The Game of Throngs. It's finally starting to pick up.

If any of you like espionage and thrillers, check out Daniel Silva. He writes a great character called Gabriel Allon. I've read the first 2 books; The Kill Artist and the English Assasin.

Return to Top
#1588125 - 08/05/11 01:17 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Mr. E.
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
another lovely, thoughtful novel: Mary Lawson, Crow Lake.
Excellent depiction of the long-term impact of individual acts or events.

Return to Top
#1588152 - 08/05/11 01:50 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Mr. E.
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: Yaz8
I'm about half way through The Game of Throngs. It's finally starting to pick up.

If any of you like espionage and thrillers, check out Daniel Silva. He writes a great character called Gabriel Allon. I've read the first 2 books; The Kill Artist and the English Assasin.

This sounds like a very amusing mash-up.... ::picturing Jaime in a speedo::

Return to Top
#1588159 - 08/05/11 01:49 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? E.E.G.B
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Originally Posted By: Yaz8

This sounds like a very amusing mash-up.... ::picturing Jaime in a speedo::

laugh

Return to Top
#1588225 - 08/05/11 02:37 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
Mr. E. Offline
100 Club
Mr. E.
New England
I should have said "Game of Thongs!

Return to Top
#1588400 - 08/05/11 05:18 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Mr. E.
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'm in reading material limbo. I finished the 5 Games of Thrones books and am all caught up with both Harry Dresden and Stephanie Plum. I don't think there are any new releases in any of the series that I read for a couple more weeks and none of my Amazon recommendations look very appealing. Any suggestions? I could use something brainless. Maybe some vampire smut?

Return to Top
#1588404 - 08/05/11 05:21 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? waldensouth
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
I finished Jane Eyre last night. It was so good! I've added it to my favorites list as well smile
Last edited by EmilyAnn; 08/05/11 05:22 PM.
Return to Top
#1588409 - 08/05/11 05:25 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
Bomb Mom Offline
The Dark series from Christine Feheen is vampire smut. The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J R Ward, always a good read.

Return to Top
#1588421 - 08/05/11 05:31 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Bomb Mom
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I've read all the Black Daggers. They are definite favorites. smile

I've read most of the Feehans. I guess I could pick up with those where I left off. I got tired of them being pretty much the same story over and over again. Yeah, yeah, I know...it's asking too much to have brainless smut AND a decent plotline. wink grin

Speaking of JR Ward, her new angel book is one of the new releases I'm looking forward to at the end of the month.

Return to Top
#1588437 - 08/05/11 05:40 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Have you read the Memory Sorrow & Thorn trilogy from Tad Williams? They are GRRM-esque with a happier ending / feel to them. A bit smaller, but still enough material in 3 books to keep you busy for a while. AND they're a finished series, so no cliffhangers!

Return to Top
#1588446 - 08/05/11 05:52 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? E.E.G.B
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'll have to check those out. I've been out of the high fantasy loop for a while. Game of Thrones is the first HF series (besides Eragon) that I've really gotten into in years. I think they are different enough that I don't just keep comparing them to Tolkein the whole time I'm reading. smile

Oh, and were you who recommended DiscWorld? I couldn't get into them. It felt like trying to read the script for a Monty Python movie. crazy

Return to Top
#1588472 - 08/05/11 06:20 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Tad Williams is not Tolkein, for sure; they are well written and worth a read. (Not that Tolkein isn't too, but these aren't Tolkein.) I actually found TW years ago, well before GRRM.

I didn't love Eragon. So much of that series feels derivative to me, like you can tell what the author's been reading right before he starts writing each book (Star Wars, for example.)

I was one of the Discworld recommenders, I'm sure. I love them, they are such nice little looks at various cultural phenomenons. A whole book about the Post Office? And Phantom of the Opera? And comparative religions?? But they are light, I'll give you that.

Return to Top
#1588477 - 08/05/11 06:21 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
I'm in reading material limbo. I finished the 5 Games of Thrones books and am all caught up with both Harry Dresden and Stephanie Plum. I don't think there are any new releases in any of the series that I read for a couple more weeks and none of my Amazon recommendations look very appealing. Any suggestions? I could use something brainless. Maybe some vampire smut?

I feel kind of strange recommending books to MY book pimp but here goes...I'm not sure if I've mentioned these to you before or if you said you read them but, Tina Folsom has a series called Scanguard's Vampires. They aren't going to win any awards but if you are looking for vampire smut? wink Also, they are cheap through Amazon for the Kindle.

Return to Top
#1588486 - 08/05/11 06:36 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Loralie
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: Loralie
Manimal, have you read Kitty and the Midnight Hour?

I have not read those, thanks for the tip! I will check them out. I am always looking for new material.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1588540 - 08/05/11 07:40 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? manimal
Bomb Mom Offline
There's also the Anita Blake series (vamps). If your looking for just smut, try Cherry Adair-spy/agent, Diane Palmer-modern cowboy, Linda Howard-just because, Lora Leah-smuttier smut with shape shifters.

Return to Top
#1588549 - 08/05/11 07:46 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
I feel kind of strange recommending books to MY book pimp but here goes...I'm not sure if I've mentioned these to you before or if you said you read them but, Tina Folsom has a series called Scanguard's Vampires. They aren't going to win any awards but if you are looking for vampire smut? wink Also, they are cheap through Amazon for the Kindle.

Will have to check those out. I've got a couple of YA books sitting in the Kindle waiting for me to get around to them, but I just can't seem to want to get those started.

Return to Top
#1588553 - 08/05/11 07:48 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Bomb Mom
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Mad at The World
There's also the Anita Blake series (vamps). If your looking for just smut, try Cherry Adair-spy/agent, Diane Palmer-modern cowboy, Linda Howard-just because, Lora Leah-smuttier smut with shape shifters.

You really don't want to get Sarah and I started about Anita. wink

Have read a couple of Leigh's shifters..."Breeds" or something like that, right? Genetically engineered? You're right. They are especially smutty smut. grin

Return to Top
#1588554 - 08/05/11 07:49 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Bomb Mom
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
My biggest problem is I am always looking for a series. I am rarely content with just one book if I like the storyline or writer's style.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1588569 - 08/05/11 07:59 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? manimal
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
manimal, do you like paranormal stuff? Shifters, vamps, etc?

Return to Top
#1588571 - 08/05/11 08:00 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Originally Posted By: Mad at The World

You really don't want to get Sarah and I started about Anita. wink

Have read a couple of Leigh's shifters..."Breeds" or something like that, right? Genetically engineered? You're right. They are especially smutty smut. grin

My Anita's are getting worn out! wink Packed them back in the closest about a month ago for the third time!

Jotting down the especially smutty smut to check out later... smirk

Return to Top
#1588576 - 08/05/11 08:17 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
manimal, do you like paranormal stuff? Shifters, vamps, etc?

Yes I do. I don't usually go for vamp smut, but that isn't to say I wouldn't read something that others recommended. And no offense to anyone, the smutty smut is good stuff every once and awhile! But if I am going to buy it and keep it, I usually look for a series that goes a little deeper. But then again, everyone defines smut a little different, so for all I know, that is exactly what I have been reading! smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1588593 - 08/05/11 08:23 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? manimal
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Definitely check out Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series as well as Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson books. Oh, and Eileen Wilks The Lupi. All series (ongoing) and non-smutty.

Have you read Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher? Or The Hollows series by Rachael Morgan?

Return to Top
#1588595 - 08/05/11 08:32 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Wow thanks!! I haven't read any of those, so this will be a good list to head into the second half of the year with! smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1588597 - 08/05/11 08:34 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Definitely check out Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series as well as Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson books. Oh, and Eileen Wilks The Lupi. All series (ongoing) and non-smutty.

Have you read Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher? Or The Hollows series by Rachael Morgan?

whistle

grin

Return to Top
Page 26 of 47 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 46 47