Learn More - Click Here!

Page 27 of 47 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 46 47
Thread Options
#1588603 - 08/05/11 08:32 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? manimal
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Those are some of my favorites and I was introduced to them through RR Becca. Hence, I call her my "book pimp". smile If you change your mind about the vampire smut, I can hook you up there too! wink

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1588610 - 08/05/11 08:34 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
Definitely check out Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series as well as Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson books. Oh, and Eileen Wilks The Lupi. All series (ongoing) and non-smutty.

Have you read Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher? Or The Hollows series by Rachael Morgan?

whistle

grin

It took me a while to do my last post because I couldn't decide whether to give you credit or blame you for my fiction addiction! laugh

Return to Top
#1588613 - 08/05/11 08:41 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Those are some of my favorites and I was introduced to them through RR Becca. Hence, I call her my "book pimp". smile If you change your mind about the vampire smut, I can hook you up there too! wink

That time will definitely come at some point! I go through phases, as I am sure many of you do. Thanks to you both!
I hope one day I can return the favor smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1588616 - 08/05/11 08:38 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? manimal
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
We readers have to stick together! smile

Return to Top
#1588645 - 08/05/11 09:24 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
Quote:
Definitely check out Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series

Thats the Kitty and the Midnight Hour I was talking about.

As far as fantasy series go, I tend less toward vamps and werewolves, and more toward witches and magic. There are a couple series along that lines I like-

Marie Brennan wrote a small series of two books- Originally titled Doppleganger, and Warrior & Witch (recently rereleased as just Warrior, and the 2nd one is Witch.)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE (and have mentioned here before) the Witches of Eliannan series by Kate Forsyth. (a set of 6, then a set of 3)

another one that is kind of strange, but a good read- makes you think a little more then some- Is the Chronicles of Chrestomanci. Wiki page

Return to Top
#1588676 - 08/05/11 10:36 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Loralie
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
I'm sure this was discussed earlier in this thread, but I'm not going back to look for it. Reading "The Help" now. Almost half way through. This is the best book I've read in a long, long time. Now I have to go see the movie! smile

Return to Top
#1588752 - 08/08/11 12:40 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
It took me a while to do my last post because I couldn't decide whether to give you credit or blame you for my fiction addiction! laugh

Sadly, my own usual book pimp has been trapped in YA land for the last year or so. I haven't really liked the ones she's suggested so far. Teen angst can only hold my attention for so long. smirk

I'm about halfway through the first Scanguards at the moment. I can't decide if I'm enjoying the story in spite of the writing or if it's just fascinating in a train wreck kind of way.

Return to Top
#1588753 - 08/08/11 12:44 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Started 2 new books this weekend:

1. Addressing ADD Naturally
2. Spider Bones

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1588824 - 08/08/11 02:37 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? waldensouth
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I finished "Girl who Played with Fire" this weekend and will start "Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" this week. The ending to Fire was a leeeeeeeeetle unbelievable.

Return to Top
#1588850 - 08/08/11 03:07 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I'm about halfway through the first Scanguards at the moment. I can't decide if I'm enjoying the story in spite of the writing or if it's just fascinating in a train wreck kind of way.

Maybe I like them because they are cheap? LOL

Return to Top
#1588865 - 08/08/11 03:22 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
We readers have to stick together! smile

Just reserved the first two Eileen Wilks books at the library... excited to try something new!!

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1588873 - 08/08/11 03:29 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? manimal
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
So what does everyone do with books they are done with? I mean, if I love a series, I keep it to re-read, but what about the others? Do you donate them? Sell them? Just curious since I have a small stash of books I know I won't read again beginning to build in my home.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1588885 - 08/08/11 03:42 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? manimal
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I am a book hoarder. I have bookcases jammed FULL of paperbacks I will probably never read again, but can't seem to make myself get rid of. It would be different if we had a decent used bookstore where I could trade them in...though my Kindle has very nearly made this option irrelevant.

Return to Top
#1588891 - 08/08/11 03:47 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
I donate mine to the Friends of the Library group in my city. They hold book sales several times a year to raise funds for the library. I try to keep only the really good ones, but honestly, I rarely ever re-read a book.

Return to Top
#1588903 - 08/08/11 03:53 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? manimal
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: manimal82
So what does everyone do with books they are done with? I mean, if I love a series, I keep it to re-read, but what about the others? Do you donate them? Sell them? Just curious since I have a small stash of books I know I won't read again beginning to build in my home.

If I like the series, I keep it too. If I like the book but don't think I'll want to re-read, I pass it along to someone else; release it via BookCrossing; sell it (HalfPrice Books, or maybe a consignment sale); donate it; or some combination of the above.

Return to Top
#1588904 - 08/08/11 03:56 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? califgirl
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I either give the books I don't care to keep to friends and/or co-workers or I donate them to the local DAC. They operate a second hand store. I do however, have quite a collection that I can't seem to part with. The Kindle makes hoarding books much easier because no one can seem them! wink

Return to Top
#1588954 - 08/08/11 04:42 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
The technical college was starting a library for their new adult readers - those working toward the GED - and I donated 300 books to that cause. Get credit on your income taxes for that.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1589003 - 08/08/11 05:20 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...

It's getting better as it goes, but seriously needs a better editor. Some of these typos and grammar errors are inexcusable.

Return to Top
#1589147 - 08/08/11 07:43 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I just spent most of my two-week vacation reading and had alot of fun. I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and will start the Girl who Played Fire Soon. I'm about halfway through Game of Thrones. And at someone's recommendation here, I looked into Daniel Westlake and tried one of his Dortmunder (sp?) series - I thought it was hysterical and will probably read one in the series periodically.

We've also just watched the first two seasons of True Blood - I read the first Charlaine Harris book awhile ago and enjoyed it - has anyone watched the series and then read the books? Are they still worth reading? We will definitely continue to watch the series, and since it diverges from the books I'm worried about getting my head messed over the two!

Return to Top
#1589234 - 08/08/11 08:48 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? DEL
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I was a fan of the books long before the show came out. I actually liked that the show was so different because it didn't ruin the books for me. The characters have the same names and the general background/storyline is vaguely similar, but that's about it. The books are better. At least until the last two or three, anyway..they've sucked.

Return to Top
#1589480 - 08/09/11 02:39 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
Reading "Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. I'm about half way through the book. Wishing I had read this 10 years ago.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Return to Top
#1589966 - 08/10/11 12:59 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...

Check out Awaken the Highland Warrior by Anita Clenney. It was either free or .99. A little cheesey, but the writing isn't bad and it sorta reminds me of the first few KMM highlander books. Granted, I'm only a few chapters into it so far, so I make no guaranties about the continuing quality of writing, editing, or plot. wink
Last edited by RR Becca; 08/10/11 01:00 PM. Reason: bad typing. Need more coffee.

Return to Top
#1590006 - 08/10/11 02:22 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I'll check it out. I can accept a little cheese when it comes to Highland Warriors. wink I think that one pops up in my recommendations.

I'm reading Sex, Lies and Vampires by Katie MacAlister. She cracks me up!

Return to Top
#1590011 - 08/10/11 02:26 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
If anyone is on Audible.com, they're doing a 3-for-2 sale right now. 3 books in selected series for 2 credits.

Return to Top
#1590029 - 08/10/11 02:36 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'll check it out. I can accept a little cheese when it comes to Highland Warriors. wink I think that one pops up in my recommendations.

I'm reading Sex, Lies and Vampires by Katie MacAlister. She cracks me up!

I think that's how I ended up with it.

LOVE MacAlister! I don't think I've read anything of hers that didn't have me snorting with laughter. grin

Return to Top
Page 27 of 47 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 46 47