Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1589748 - 08/09/11 07:07 PM Re: e readers GenerousLife
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Those are the points I argued with myself on too, GL. Personally, I still prefer the feel of a book in my hands. Once I convinced myself that an e-reader was acually greener and saving trees, I thought about having to lug my garmin AND laptop AND an e-reader when I'm slogging through an airport and the nook color won. So far, I'm happy with it. We'll see how long it lasts.

Any other nook readers want to lend books?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1589763 - 08/09/11 07:20 PM Re: e readers Truffle Royale
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
sure - whatcha interested in?

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1589773 - 08/09/11 07:26 PM Re: e readers waldensouth
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Have had my Nook almost a year, and I LOVE it! I don't have the color one, and I don't need color. So far, most of the books I've ordered aren't lend me books, but I would be interested in sharing what I have that I can lend!

Return to Top
#1589776 - 08/09/11 07:28 PM Re: e readers TINKerBell
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Tink, I just pm'd walden. Maybe we should start a nook lending pm or thread?

Return to Top
#1589864 - 08/09/11 08:53 PM Re: e readers califgirl
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
Same here, califgirl. I bought the Kindle - WiFi and 3G for my trip to Italy in May and loved it!! Great for that. I ended up reading four books over the two weeks and it saved me a lot of weight from the books I didn't have to lug around. The best part was when we were trying to check in for our flight home my friend could not connect to the Internet at the hotel with his laptop. I fired up the Kindle and was able to log on and check us in with that!!

I also purchased a cover for it that has a built in pop-up book light. I love mine and like others wished I had done this sooner!!

Return to Top
#1589965 - 08/10/11 12:59 PM Re: e readers Mocha's Mom
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I have a question about the Kindle. Do you need to be able to get a signal to mark your page? At our camp, where the only internet access is dial-up (so we don't have it) and where cell phones never get a signal, our visiting friend found her Kindle wouldn't bookmark her page for her. Since she hasn't had it very long, she wasn't sure whether it was our location, or that she just didn't know how to direct the Kindle to bookmark. Does anyone here know? Another friend had an i-pad and had no such trouble with his reading material. This is pretty important, because reading is one of my primary activities at camp, and if I can't mark my page, that's a real deal-breaker for an e-reader for me!

Return to Top
#1589973 - 08/10/11 01:42 PM Re: e readers DEL
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
Many times I will have my wi-fi turned off. It will bookmark my page on the Kindle, but of course, would not bookmark on the other devices until a wi-fi signal was available.

Return to Top
#1589991 - 08/10/11 01:59 PM Re: e readers GenerousLife
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
I usually have my wi-fi turned off on my Kindle and it keeps my page bookmarked without a problem. Only turn on connection if I am in an area where I can download a new book.

Return to Top
#1589997 - 08/10/11 02:08 PM Re: e readers doodles
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
So my friend's problem was probably a user malfunction?

Return to Top
#1590001 - 08/10/11 02:19 PM Re: e readers DEL
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
Dont know about that - mine just automatically opens up to the page I was last on when I turn the Kindle back on - I didnt have to do anything to get it to do that. Not sure if it is something in the settings or not.

Return to Top
#1590004 - 08/10/11 02:22 PM Re: e readers DEL
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: DEL

How was she trying to bookmark it? Mine always just opens up to wherever I left off unless I change something or it locks up (hate that, BTW).

There was a brief spell right after I got it that it would lose my place sometimes, but I think it was more of a hiccup than anything. It hasn't done that in a while now.

Return to Top
#1590177 - 08/10/11 05:18 PM Re: e readers RR Becca
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Since I don't have one myself, I don't know what she was or wasn't doing that she should or shouldn't have been - I think she was used to it just happening automatically, too, and suddenly her place wasn't being kept. It seemed to take her completely by surprise, which was why she wondered if it was the lack of connection.

Return to Top
#1590187 - 08/10/11 05:26 PM Re: e readers DEL
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
It doesn't need a wireless connection unless you are trying to download something or use the net, so I can't imgaine that having anything to do with it. It probably is just having a possessed spell like mine did for a couple of weeks.

Return to Top
#1590312 - 08/10/11 07:03 PM Re: e readers RR Becca
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
As others said, it should automatically keep your page. My daughter reads her books on her ipod and, as long as we have both been connected to the wi-fi, she can switch between devised (think taking mom's kindle!) and it will still keep her page.

Return to Top
#1590442 - 08/10/11 09:07 PM Re: e readers Truffle Royale
txgal, CRCM Offline
Texas
I have a nook too! I would be interested in sharing books. Mostly read John Sanford, Nicholas Sparks, Sue Grafton, Thomas Kinkade. smile

Return to Top
#1590464 - 08/10/11 09:26 PM Re: e readers DEL
Cowboys Fan Online
Power Poster
SC

Does your friend use a cover? There was an issue with the leather cover that caused the device to reboot, lose the bookmark, etc.

Return to Top
#1590554 - 08/11/11 01:00 PM Re: e readers Cowboys Fan
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
I also have a leather cover but have not had any trouble. I wonder if it was the clip on the cover or maybe how it laid against the buttons.

Return to Top
#1590555 - 08/11/11 01:01 PM Re: e readers Cowboys Fan
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Cowboys Fan

Does your friend use a cover? There was an issue with the leather cover that caused the device to reboot, lose the bookmark, etc.

Really? Huh. I wonder if that's what was wrong with mine.

It doesn't seem to do it anymore, though.

Return to Top
#1590557 - 08/11/11 01:06 PM Re: e readers RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I have a leather cover and haven't had any issues...ever. I tested out the bookmark last night with the wireless off and it worked just fine.

Return to Top
#1590580 - 08/11/11 01:32 PM Re: e readers RR Sarah
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like this issue shouldn't affect my buying decision!

Return to Top
#1590675 - 08/11/11 03:14 PM Re: e readers DEL
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
I also read about malfunctions with the Kindle cover (without the light). Those are no longer being sold. I bought a third party cover (sans light) and am very satisfied. Didn't want the light due to additional weight (remember ... the falling asleep thing). I did buy the add-on light, but have only used it twice.

I have a friend with the color Nook and she really loves hers.

From everything read here, I'd recommend you go to Staples where you can handle all the different models and pick the one that appeals to you the most.

Return to Top
#1590733 - 08/11/11 04:23 PM Re: e readers GenerousLife
Peepers Offline
10K Club
so if I have a bunch of unread paperback books by authors such as Dean Koontz, John Saul, etc. that I paid about $8 bucks for at Sam's Club,

1) are those authors and others like them generally avaialable to purchase with a Kindle

2) do they have a big library, for books from few years ago?

3) about how much would they cost?

I'm thinking of getting a kindle and doing away with the stack of books I have that I haven't yet read

Return to Top
#1590742 - 08/11/11 04:31 PM Re: e readers Peepers
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: Peepers
so if I have a bunch of unread paperback books by authors such as Dean Koontz, John Saul, etc. that I paid about $8 bucks for at Sam's Club,

1) are those authors and others like them generally avaialable to purchase with a Kindle

2) do they have a big library, for books from few years ago?

3) about how much would they cost?

I'm thinking of getting a kindle and doing away with the stack of books I have that I haven't yet read

1) Yes, hundreds of thousands of books available.
2) I haven't had any trouble finding books releashed a few years ago through Kindle. This shouldn't be a problem, especially if it is a well known author.
3) I would say a typical paperback is $7.99 and a new release hardcover around $12.99-14.99. There are lots of cheap and free books out there as well. It's a good opportunity to try new authors without spending a lot of money.

Return to Top
#1590750 - 08/11/11 04:39 PM Re: e readers RR Sarah
Peepers Offline
10K Club
thanks Sarah

Return to Top
#1590758 - 08/11/11 04:49 PM Re: e readers RR Sarah
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Peepers, I just did a quick search and most of the John Saul and Dean Koontz books are $7.99, with a few at 9.99 or 12.99.

You would be amazed at the number and variety of books available.
And classics are usually free. (You know, all those books that you were supposed to read in high school and college lit classes smile )

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3