Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1591129 - 08/12/11 01:20 PM SAR for possible identity theft???
GottaLuvIt Offline
existing bank customer who currently maintains a checking account and has had loans with us in the past. loans were paid in full without incident. customer just applied for new loan for vehicle repairs. upon review of credit report a social alert appeared stating death benefits had been paid on that social and that the social had been issued prior to the applicant's date of birth. The customer was asked to bring in a copy of his social security card for verification (although we already had one on file)and he said ok. He was not panicked or upset when the card was requested. We have not heard from the customer since. The social security admin does make mistakes (we've dealt with that before) therefore we did not immediately panic. But now that we haven't heard from the customer PLUS my brief review of prior credit reports shows the ssn mismatch alert was present before and went unnoticed (that's another issue entirely!!**SMACK**). When CIP was applied originally applied no alerts or indications of identity theft were present. I think this requires a SAR for possible identity theft. What do think?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1591217 - 08/12/11 02:46 PM Re: SAR for possible identity theft??? GottaLuvIt
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
I think it is totally SAR worthy... Red Flag Board worthy... and depending on how long ago the initial mistake happened, worthy of a revamping and retraining of all bank associates on Red Flags and BSA CIP procedures.

Cheers!

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1591278 - 08/12/11 03:20 PM Re: SAR for possible identity theft??? AFaquir
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I agree, this is worthy of a SAR investigation and possible filing.

Return to Top
#1591525 - 08/12/11 05:45 PM Re: SAR for possible identity theft??? Sing A Little
GottaLuvIt Offline
That's for your input...the initial mistake happened prior to my position, but staff has been thoroughly trained since.

Thanks!
Last edited by GottaLuvIt; 08/12/11 05:45 PM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z