Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1591887 - 08/15/11 02:45 PM telephone bank transfer between 2 trust accounts
sb1 Offline
100 Club
Can a trustee of 2 separate trusts complete a telephone or online transfer between the two separate trusts? The irrevocable trusts are set up for both her parents with her as trustee on both trusts.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1591936 - 08/15/11 04:06 PM Re: telephone bank transfer between 2 trust accounts sb1
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
From a legal standpoint yes. I assume the trustee is authorized to conduct transactions for each trust. The trustee does have a fiduciary responsibility. In conducting the online or telephone transfer is a difficult question. I would assume, these accounts have different CIF numbers. This may be more of an account coding issue.

Return to Top
#1591968 - 08/15/11 05:02 PM Re: telephone bank transfer between 2 trust accounts osucpa
sb1 Offline
100 Club
They each have their own tax federal ID number. I guess we are wondering for the allowable transfers since there is not a common ownership of the two accounts only the trustee is common between the 2 accounts is it allowable to make such a transfer

Return to Top
#1591971 - 08/15/11 05:08 PM Re: telephone bank transfer between 2 trust accounts sb1
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
IMHO whether it's allowable and whether it's a good idea are two different things. If there has been a fiduciary breach, the bank has assisted and could be alleged to have been a party to the transaction(didn't say guilty of - said alleged to have been). You can better protect the bank by requiring the Trustee to write a check to make the transfer. This serves to remove the bank from the picture and creates a better audit trail.
Last edited by BrendaC; 08/15/11 05:08 PM.

Return to Top
#1591994 - 08/15/11 05:48 PM Re: telephone bank transfer between 2 trust accounts BrendaC
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
I think you need to review the trust agreements. With this being said, some believe a bank should never keep a copy of the full trust agreement. Generally, a trustee has the ability to perform any type of transaction in connection with a trust. I am surprised your system will allow transactions from different ownership accounts to have transfers between them.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett