Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1598149 - 08/30/11 04:07 PM BOL Bike thread (bicycles)
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
A Place to talk about building, riding, places to ride, training and falling down... smile

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1598152 - 08/30/11 04:12 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
We weren't being very aimless, were we??

OK, I'll start out. I rode to work today, will ride at lunch and then back home. Looking for about 25 miles today in all.

I even brought my helmet today...something about all those coffee drinking, make-up applying, texting morning commuters....

My FI is sposroing a century ride and I could ride in it for free but it's the same day as a 5k I'm supposed to run in and a hike up a 10,000' peak that I'm suppposed to make.

Why does everything fall on the same day & which should I choose??
Last edited by bOatn Shasta; 08/30/11 04:13 PM.

Return to Top
#1598153 - 08/30/11 04:14 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Ok, I am starting from scratch. I'm pretty sure I need a 56cm frame. What frames do you guys (gals) have and waht do you like about them?
I'm building a road bike, but anybody that wants to talk MTB can have at it too.

Return to Top
#1598161 - 08/30/11 04:21 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
BB, go on line and find a road bike size calculator to find the appropriate size frame, or better yet, stop in a bike shop and have a professional fit you, you'll be glad you did and will have a bike that fits.

Return to Top
#1598165 - 08/30/11 04:23 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I have a Scott DH MTB that is full suspension that is great, but pretty old now. It has a Fox Air shock that either needs rebuilt or replaced.

Anyone ever rebuild an air shock?

Return to Top
#1598168 - 08/30/11 04:24 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) MB Guy
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Many years ago, i really did race some. But it has all progessed so much since then. I think the fitting is a wise choice. I did the online calculations and I'm pretty sure that I'm 56cm. But rat traps were the state of the art for pedals the last time I had a bike! smile
I dont want to drop thousands in this, but i want as much technology as I can get.
What about saddle tech. Recommendations?

Return to Top
#1598176 - 08/30/11 04:33 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
First chose a frame material. Carbon is very light weight but if you crash you can destroy your frame and it can be very expensive. Aluminum is a good choice for most since it is lightweight, strong, and relatively inexpensive. Some custom bikes have magnesium or titanium frames $$$$.

You can pick up frames on E-bay pretty easy - you can even search by size. Best thing would be to find an assembled bike that is comfortable then try to get as close to those frame dimensions as possible.

My road bike is built on a Fetish Cycles aluminum frame that I got on e-bay.

Another route you can go is to buy a completed bike with a nice frame and then upgrade the components and sell the take off stuff.

Return to Top
#1598181 - 08/30/11 04:36 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) thomasj
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: thomasj
First chose a frame material. Carbon is very light weight but if you crash you can destroy your frame and it can be very expensive. Aluminum is a good choice for most since it is lightweight, strong, and relatively inexpensive. Some custom bikes have magnesium or titanium frames $$$$.

You can pick up frames on E-bay pretty easy - you can even search by size. Best thing would be to find an assembled bike that is comfortable then try to get as close to those frame dimensions as possible.

My road bike is built on a Fetish Cycles aluminum frame that I got on e-bay.

Another route you can go is to buy a completed bike with a nice frame and then upgrade the components and sell the take off stuff.

This is kind of where I was going with the GT ZR 5.0. All alluminum frame. Reports say its very stiff, goood handler, but the components are iffy. The whole bike can be had for $200. That leaves a lot of room for component improvement. I was leaning towards the Ultegra stuff...

Return to Top
#1598186 - 08/30/11 04:40 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) bOaty
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: bOatn Shasta

OK, I'll start out. I rode to work today, will ride at lunch and then back home. Looking for about 25 miles today in all.

I even brought my helmet today...something about all those coffee drinking, make-up applying, texting morning commuters....

My FI is sposroing a century ride and I could ride in it for free but it's the same day as a 5k I'm supposed to run in and a hike up a 10,000' peak that I'm suppposed to make.

Cant work them all in? LOL
Ok, you get to do a lot of 5K's so I would pick the hike or the ride? Which mountain and how long is the hike?

Return to Top
#1598189 - 08/30/11 04:44 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
BB, you may want to consider a chromoly steel frame for someone your size as it would be much more forgiving than an aluminum frame. Just some food for thought.

Return to Top
#1598198 - 08/30/11 04:49 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1

Ok, you get to do a lot of 5K's so I would pick the hike or the ride? Which mountain and how long is the hike?

Mt McLoughlin Yep, a volcano. 10 mile hike 4,000' elevation gain. crazy Crazy friends I have. ::bangs head on desk::

Return to Top
#1598202 - 08/30/11 04:52 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) MB Guy
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
BB, you may want to consider a chromoly steel frame for someone your size as it would be much more forgiving than an aluminum frame. Just some food for thought.

So what are you sayin'? LOL
Actually I hadnt thought about that at all. Its a good point. The last time I rode much I weighed about 175 soaking wet! smile

Shoes and pedals? Faves? hates?

Return to Top
#1598214 - 08/30/11 05:26 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I have Shimano M520 SPD pedals mainly because I can use the same shoes/cleats as the SPD pedals on my Trek. They are technically Mt. Bike pedals, but the SPD cleat system is recessed into the shoe so that you don't have to walk with your toes pointed up in the air click clacking all over the place. Just my preference....

Return to Top
#1598219 - 08/30/11 05:30 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) thomasj
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
No clacking is preferable!!

Return to Top
#1598221 - 08/30/11 05:31 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) thomasj
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
I have Shimano M520 SPD pedals mainly because I can use the same shoes/cleats as the SPD pedals on my Trek. They are technically Mt. Bike pedals, but the SPD cleat system is recessed into the shoe so that you don't have to walk with your toes pointed up in the air click clacking all over the place. Just my preference....

Do you still get a solid connection to the pedal? I want to be able to assure that all my energy is going into the crank.

Return to Top
#1598255 - 08/30/11 06:07 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Anybody ever heard of an Exotec Comp 4 mountain bike? I picked it up in Germany for $600 at the PX back in '98.

It's a hardtail with a good aluminum frame and STX RC all around. It's not a competition level bike by any stretch, but I beat the carp out of it while I was in Germany.

If I had a good place to ride around here, I'd probaby be 25 lbs lighter. I do need a new shock, though. What are they running these days?

Return to Top
#1598264 - 08/30/11 06:13 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Pup
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I do need a new shock

Have you seen the prices of the new shocks? (that should do it)

CAMS

Return to Top
#1598265 - 08/30/11 06:16 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Pup
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Never heard of them Pup, but the STX was a decent middle component set back in the 90's.

Unsure on the shocks as it's been 12+ years since I built and sold MTBs. I'd check one of those sites Thomas listed on page 1 of this thread, just make sure you get the correct fit for your frame.

Return to Top
#1598268 - 08/30/11 06:18 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) bOaty
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA

Mt McLoughlin Yep, a volcano. 10 mile hike 4,000' elevation gain. crazy Crazy friends I have. ::bangs head on desk::

No brainer....Do the Volcano!! Yes!!! grin

Return to Top
#1598271 - 08/30/11 06:23 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania

Do you still get a solid connection to the pedal? I want to be able to assure that all my energy is going into the crank.

You get a very solid connection. I have raced with them and have never lost the connection. You have to turn your heel out to disengage the cleat. Just remember to do that before you stop. :eek:

Return to Top
#1598272 - 08/30/11 06:23 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) thomasj
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA

You get a very solid connection. I have raced with them and have never lost the connection. You have to turn your heel out to disengage the cleat. Just remember to do that before you stop. :eek:

Sounds like exactly what I want!

Return to Top
#1598298 - 08/30/11 07:07 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Bankbb1, PITA
Peepers Offline
10K Club
can I post random thoughts in this thread?

Return to Top
#1598302 - 08/30/11 07:08 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Peepers
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: Peepers
can I post random thoughts in this thread?

Ok, but just you... smile

Return to Top
#1598313 - 08/30/11 07:18 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Peepers
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I found out that K2 made the bike (or had it made for them). It's a good bike for my needs, for sure.

I know shocks are spendy, which is why it's still on the wall next to the overpriced roadbike. One day.

B3, I think my roadbike is a 58 cm, which is too big for me, but it cost me nothing....so I rode it last summer a bit. It's also a Time Trial frame, so it's not really my style. But it sure is perty. smile

Return to Top
#1598318 - 08/30/11 07:25 PM Re: BOL Bike thread (bicycles) Pup
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I would like to ride but I have to say that having my feet clipped in freaks me out a little.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4