Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1598834 - 08/31/11 07:36 PM ATM/Debit Cards and Online banking
markp Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
What do you guys do with these items when an account does inactive/dormant? Does your vendor automatically reissue new cards to these accounts when they expire?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1598906 - 08/31/11 08:56 PM Re: ATM/Debit Cards and Online banking markp
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
The answer I got from our eBanking Dept is that we actually get a report on all cards up for renewal. If there is a card that hasn't had any activity in a year or more, we will close the card and not send a renewal card.

However, checking/savings accounts that are inactive/dormant have a restriction code that won't allow transactions until the account is active again, but renewal cards will be issued.

Return to Top
#1598963 - 09/01/11 12:03 AM Re: ATM/Debit Cards and Online banking BowlingQueen
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: BowlingQueen
The answer I got from our eBanking Dept is that we actually get a report on all cards up for renewal. If there is a card that hasn't had any activity in a year or more, we will close the card and not send a renewal card.

However, checking/savings accounts that are inactive/dormant have a restriction code that won't allow transactions until the account is active again, but renewal cards will be issued.

Do you send notices when you close a card with no activity for a period of time? We didn't and some customers only used their cards for certain times (vacations) and got a nasty surprise when they went to use them.

Return to Top
#1598964 - 09/01/11 12:24 AM Re: ATM/Debit Cards and Online banking Deputy Dawn
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
We include information on closing inactive cards in the card agreement and disclosure.

Return to Top
#1599133 - 09/01/11 03:37 PM Re: ATM/Debit Cards and Online banking BetsyS
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You could get double duty out of a notice that warns them of the loss of the card as well as the account for inactivity, providing whatever resolutions you can, i.e. make a deposit, a withdrawal, contact us, etc.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1599157 - 09/01/11 03:59 PM Re: ATM/Debit Cards and Online banking Deputy Dawn
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: working girl
Originally Posted By: BowlingQueen

Do you send notices when you close a card with no activity for a period of time? We didn't and some customers only used their cards for certain times (vacations) and got a nasty surprise when they went to use them.

I was told that this does not occur on a frequent basis. We feel that there is more risk exposure to the bank if say an elderly customer had the card open, kept it somewhere in their home but never used it and it became compromised in some way. Should we send some kind of notification? Probably not a bad idea, but we haven't had a bad occurence as you mentioned.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett