Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1599066 - 09/01/11 02:20 PM Reg D
amberleigh Offline
Kansas
We have a customer that has a sweep set up on their DDA account and it pulls money from their Money Market account daily to fund the DDA account. We originally thought this would be a Reg D violation, but someone said that it isn't since both accounts are at our bank. Any help would be appreciated!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1599069 - 09/01/11 02:24 PM Re: Reg D amberleigh
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
'Someone' is wrong. Any withdrawals over 6 per month is a violation of Regulation D unless they are made in person.

Return to Top
#1599102 - 09/01/11 03:14 PM Re: Reg D Skittles
amberleigh Offline
Kansas
The section she is referring to is Section 204.2(d)(2). This is what she said, "The following types of transfers from a savings deposit are permissible in unlimited numbers: Section 204.2(d)(2) Automatic (preauthorized) transfers for

the purpose of paying loans at the same institution Transfers or withdrawals made by mail, messenger, automated teller machine, or in person as: Withdrawals or

Transfers to another account of the depositor at the same institution."

Return to Top
#1599117 - 09/01/11 03:25 PM Re: Reg D Skittles
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Duchess Skittles
'Someone' is wrong. Any withdrawals over 6 per month is a violation of Regulation D unless they are made in person.

Close, but not completely true.

The Regulation also allows transfers from the Savings Account to repay loans or associated expenses at the same instution. Also, transfers to an account held by the same person or withdrawals, are allowed by mail, messenger, telephone with check mailed to person, or by ATM in addition to in-person. But, you may set up stricter parameters.

However, as you mentioned, the "someone" is still wrong in this case.

Return to Top
#1599125 - 09/01/11 03:28 PM Re: Reg D amberleigh
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: amberleigh
The section she is referring to is Section 204.2(d)(2). This is what she said, "The following types of transfers from a savings deposit are permissible in unlimited numbers: Section 204.2(d)(2) Automatic (preauthorized) transfers for

the purpose of paying loans at the same institution Transfers or withdrawals made by mail, messenger, automated teller machine, or in person as: Withdrawals or

Transfers to another account of the depositor at the same institution."

She is mis-interpreting the regulation. The transfers to another account of the depositor at the same institution are: "when such transfers or withdrawals are made by mail, messenger, automated teller machine, or in person or when such withdrawals are made by telephone (via check mailed to the depositor) regardless of the number of such transfers or withdrawals."

In the case you described they are not doing the transfer by mail, messenger, ATM, telephone w/ check, or in person.

Return to Top
#1599127 - 09/01/11 03:30 PM Re: Reg D Bob The Banker
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
This should help you if the person does not want to listen to the fact they are mis-interpreting the regulation: http://www.bankersonline.com/tools/regdlimits_chart.html

Return to Top
#1599174 - 09/01/11 04:17 PM Re: Reg D Bob The Banker
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Tagging on.... Would a return deposit item be counted for Reg D? What about check printing fees to the bank (we print our own checks)?

Return to Top
#1599178 - 09/01/11 04:20 PM Re: Reg D Bob The Banker
amberleigh Offline
Kansas
Thanks!!

Return to Top
#1599249 - 09/01/11 05:51 PM Re: Reg D Dani York, CRCM
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: Dani York
Tagging on.... Would a return deposit item be counted for Reg D? What about check printing fees to the bank (we print our own checks)?

BUMP

Return to Top
#1599296 - 09/01/11 06:41 PM Re: Reg D Dani York, CRCM
cbinder63 Offline

Platinum Poster
cbinder63
Colorado
I would not count those items against the customers account, as they did not directly control the withdrawal.

Return to Top
#1599301 - 09/01/11 06:47 PM Re: Reg D cbinder63
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
We also do not count those. Just electronic transfers and debits initiated by the customer.

We would not charge a savings account for check printing fees.

Return to Top
#1599307 - 09/01/11 06:51 PM Re: Reg D BowlingQueen
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Thanks!

Return to Top
#1599413 - 09/01/11 08:57 PM Re: Reg D Bob The Banker
Marqann1 Offline
New Poster
So to clarify the limited transactions from a savings account -transfers to another account at the same institution whether done by sweep or an automatic scheduled transfer ARE limited to the 6 per month. We were under the assumption that they were only limited IF they were for overdraft protection.

Return to Top
#1599436 - 09/01/11 09:13 PM Re: Reg D Marqann1
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
The restricted transactions are those that are generally “prearranged”, such as preauthorized transfers, automatic transfers, telephone agreements, telephone orders, or telephone instructions.

Examples of restricted transfers or withdrawals from savings deposit accounts are as follows:
- Third-party payment made by check, draft, debit card, or similar method
- Any type of telephone order or instruction to pay a third-party
- Any type of telephone order or instruction to transfer money to another of his/her accounts at the same bank.
- Written instructions to pay a third-party at a certain time or according to a certain schedule
- Verbal instructions to pay a third-party at a certain time or according to a certain schedule
- Written instructions to transfer money to another of his/her accounts at the same bank at a certain time or according to a certain schedule
- Verbal instructions to transfer money to another of his/her accounts at the same bank at a certain time or according to a certain schedule
- Automated clearinghouse (ACH) payment or debits

Hope that helps. smile

Return to Top
#1603601 - 09/14/11 06:26 PM Re: Reg D BowlingQueen
burgh Offline
What about incoming and outgoing wire fees?

Return to Top
#1603605 - 09/14/11 06:24 PM Re: Reg D burgh
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Fees? I would not count a fee.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett