Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1599030 - 09/01/11 01:46 PM FDIC emails with malware WARNING!
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Fraudulent Sample: http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/SpecialAlert/2011/sa11026a.pdf

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) has received numerous reports of fraudulent e-mails that appear to be from the FDIC and contain an infected attachment.
The fraudulent e-mails have addresses such as "no.reply@fdic.gov" or "notify84zma@fdic.gov" on the "From" line. The message appears, with spelling and grammatical errors, as follows:
Subject line: "FDIC notification"
Message body:
"Dear customer,
Your account ACH and WIRE transaction have been temporarily suspended for security reasons due to the expiration of your security version. To download and install the newest installations read the document(pdf) attached below.

As soon as it is setup, you transaction abilities will be fully restored.

Best Regards, Online Security departament, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation."
The e-mails contain an attachment "FDIC_document.zip" that will likely release malicious software if opened. These e-mails and attachments are fraudulent and were not sent by the FDIC. Recipients should consider these e-mails an attempt to collect personal or confidential information, or to load malicious software onto end users' computers. Recipients should NOT open the attachment.
Financial institutions and consumers should be aware that these fraudulent e-mails may be modified over time with other subject lines, sender names, and narratives. The FDIC does not directly contact consumers, nor does the FDIC request bank customers to install software upgrades.
Information about counterfeit items, cyber-fraud incidents, and other fraudulent activity may be forwarded to the FDIC's Cyber-Fraud and Financial Crimes Section, 3501 North Fairfax Drive, CH-11034, Arlington, Virginia 22226, or transmitted electronically to alert@fdic.gov. Questions related to federal deposit insurance or consumer issues should be submitted to the FDIC using an online form that can be accessed at http://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1599333 - 09/01/11 07:11 PM Re: FDIC emails with malware WARNING! Mrs. Rizzo
NU Rhules Offline
Gold Star
NU Rhules
SE, Nebraska
Thanks! smile
I should have read your post first instead of trying to see it on the FDIC Connect web site. Not counting logging in, it takes 11 (eleven) clicks (no kidding) to finally get to the page to read the message content. That to me is absurd. Really.

Return to Top
#1599485 - 09/02/11 02:39 AM Re: FDIC emails with malware WARNING! NU Rhules
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Just sign up for their emails. I got the same notice in my inbox at 8:43 this morning.

Return to Top