#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
uhm, please say you did wash them before you started using them. eek

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1601265 - 09/08/11 07:24 PM Re: New countertops and sinks #Just Jay
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I think he also got his current mattress by the dumpsters out back of the apartments next to the railroad tracks

Return to Top
#1601283 - 09/08/11 07:43 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Peepers
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
The sheets were thoroughly disinfected before I used them even though I don't think they were ever used to be honest. As for my mattress, I actually picked it up off the side of the road.

Return to Top
#1601287 - 09/08/11 07:44 PM Re: New countertops and sinks thomasj
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
shocked

Return to Top
#1601304 - 09/08/11 07:59 PM Re: New countertops and sinks bOaty
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Actually, I purchased the mattress new. I had to pick it up off the road after the strap holding it in the bed of my truck broke. I was doing 65 mph when I looked in the rear view mirror, saw the mattress levitate above the bed of the truck for a brief second then land gently, like a hovercraft on the highway. Thankfully it was securly wrapped in plastic.

Ahhh good times. It's a great mattress - much nicer than the hand me down sleep number bed I was sleeping on....

Return to Top
#1601308 - 09/08/11 07:56 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Queen Mum
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Truff, I hope you have better luck with low-flow toilets than most people. They put them in here at work (even the commercial kind) and we end up flushing about 4-5 times to get them to work. Not sure it is saving any water. My sister had replaced hers and they have stopped up and run over numerous times. My plumber hates them. They are mosre costly than the water they save. Although if you end up flushing at least 3 times I don't see how you can save on water.

I have a some bright brass in my house too. The fireplace doors are bright and shiny and the ceiling fan is too. Probably won't change that - at least not yet. Have also thought about putting in gas logs as I won't be cutting wood and at least could have heat when the electricity goes out. Even cooked in the fireplace when we were out for a few days. Anyone have any comments on gas logs?
I'm married to an engineer. You don't flush low flows multiple times. You hold the handle down for a few seconds. Really works like a charm once I knew that.

As for the brass, it is what it is. I've done all the major replacements, repairs, etc to this 30 year old house. Not planning on moving anytime soon so maybe they'll be gone by the time this house is marketed. Either that or the new owners can pick whatever they like.

As for gas logs, we passed on that. Plenty of firewood up here and a cord costs less than months of gas. Put a heatalator insert in our fireplace so the heated air circulates much better.

Return to Top
#1601320 - 09/08/11 08:24 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Truffle Royale
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I need some advice on my tile countertops, they are in pretty good shape (a few scratches here at there) but need a little something. Should I just re-glaze them? Any other options? I'm trying to keep the cost down because I am doing some other major things.

Return to Top
#1601343 - 09/08/11 09:00 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Truffle Royale
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Truff, I hope you have better luck with low-flow toilets than most people. They put them in here at work (even the commercial kind) and we end up flushing about 4-5 times to get them to work. Not sure it is saving any water. My sister had replaced hers and they have stopped up and run over numerous times. My plumber hates them. They are mosre costly than the water they save. Although if you end up flushing at least 3 times I don't see how you can save on water.

I have a some bright brass in my house too. The fireplace doors are bright and shiny and the ceiling fan is too. Probably won't change that - at least not yet. Have also thought about putting in gas logs as I won't be cutting wood and at least could have heat when the electricity goes out. Even cooked in the fireplace when we were out for a few days. Anyone have any comments on gas logs?
I'm married to an engineer. You don't flush low flows multiple times. You hold the handle down for a few seconds. Really works like a charm once I knew that.

As for the brass, it is what it is. I've done all the major replacements, repairs, etc to this 30 year old house. Not planning on moving anytime soon so maybe they'll be gone by the time this house is marketed. Either that or the new owners can pick whatever they like.

As for gas logs, we passed on that. Plenty of firewood up here and a cord costs less than months of gas. Put a heatalator insert in our fireplace so the heated air circulates much better.

Well we must have gotten some bad toilets. To keep it going you have to pump them or they just stop. Only one of them works well at all.

Hey, maybe by the time you move out brass will be back in! My daughter thinks I should paint the paneling in my family room but I heard on DIY that paneling is making a comeback!
Last edited by Queen Mum; 09/08/11 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Return to Top
#1601354 - 09/08/11 09:34 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Queen Mum
EB, CAMS Offline
100 Club
EB, CAMS
flyover country
Paneling is making a comeback? Seriously?

I do not know what people were thinking when they put that stuff on the walls. If you are afraid to take it down, for fear of having to redo the drywall, painting is a viable option. smile

Return to Top
#1601357 - 09/08/11 09:41 PM Re: New countertops and sinks EB, CAMS
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Only in Kansas...it's a pretty big deal in Kansas. wink

Return to Top
#1601745 - 09/09/11 04:55 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Pup
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I actually don't mind the paneling. It gives me that warm cozy feeling, but I like the look of wood and 3/4 of my house has painted woodwork.

Return to Top
#1601758 - 09/09/11 05:01 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Queen Mum
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
^^^we must have had the same builder, QM! Every piece of wood in my house save the wood floors, beadboard in the kitchen and the spindles on the stairs, is painted either federal blue, barn red or moss green. And it's oil base paint!!! Total beeatch to try to remove. I've had to figure out ways to work around it or just take it down.

Return to Top
#1601785 - 09/09/11 05:24 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Truffle Royale
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
And the walls are either a pale, pale yellow (to go with the gold theme) or off-white. All the woodwork is painted to match the walls except it is a gloss finish! Flocked wallpaper in the entry. Master bath has gold paper with green and gold butterflies all over it! Kitchen was originally green, orange and gold plaid wallpaper with bright orange curtains. Carpet is gold! Kitchen had orange carpet when I moved in. Gold countertops, sink and appliances in kitchen. Gold countertop in master bath. Coral and Green and gold marble design tops in main bath. Gold flecks on tile in both baths. Gold patterned linoleum in baths that look like square tiles. Gold linoleum in pantry and laundry. Gold drapes in living room. Get the picture? Some changes have been made but are still out of date. So ready for a make-over. And to think I have lived here like this since 1982!!!

Return to Top
#1601789 - 09/09/11 05:23 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Queen Mum
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
All woodwork is still the original stain...no painted wood in MY house!! smile

Return to Top
#1601801 - 09/09/11 05:41 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Pup
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Oh, I wilsh!

Return to Top
#1601808 - 09/09/11 05:43 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Queen Mum
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Mine must not be that bad because everyone who comes in says they love it! It does fit with the overall style of the house.

Every room was papered but we've taken down the offensive wallpaper in all but one powderroom. Need to take the paper down above the chair rail in the master but it's the least offensive of the lot so I'm dragging my feet while I try to figure out what to do after it's down.

When I mentioned repainting the kitchen cabinets, moml took off into nearly a total reno plan! Don't think that's in the budget so soon after the new roof and windows tho.

Return to Top
#1604753 - 09/16/11 04:46 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Truffle Royale
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Did some shopping last night and realy liked the Quartz counetr tops. Anyone have them? Pros Cons?

Return to Top
#1604790 - 09/16/11 05:03 PM Re: New countertops and sinks DD Regs
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I dunno, but the look always feels retail or commercial to me... like I would find it in a lunchroom or something. While I think it is a good product, it just lacks the warmth and richness to me.

Return to Top
#1604796 - 09/16/11 05:12 PM Re: New countertops and sinks #Just Jay
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Aren't quartz and granite very similar?

Return to Top
#1604855 - 09/16/11 06:03 PM Re: New countertops and sinks Queen Mum
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Yes.

Return to Top
#1604886 - 09/16/11 06:26 PM Re: New countertops and sinks DD Regs
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
I have quartz and most people that come into the house think they are granite. I have had them for about 5 years and they still look as good as the day they were installed!
Last edited by renniks; 09/16/11 06:26 PM. Reason: typo!
Return to Top
#1604888 - 09/16/11 06:28 PM Re: New countertops and sinks renniks
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Sorry, I was thinking solid surface tops... yeah, quartz has a lot of similarities, but I still prefer the look of a natural slab stone.

Return to Top
#1604892 - 09/16/11 06:32 PM Re: New countertops and sinks #Just Jay
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I have granite...rock is rock, right? I love mine.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1604893 - 09/16/11 06:38 PM Re: New countertops and sinks #Just Jay
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
I have quartz and love them. One nice thing about quartz is you don't have seal them like granite.

Return to Top
#1604894 - 09/16/11 06:38 PM Re: New countertops and sinks RR Joker
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Granite just seems to come in more "warm" colors than quartz, which is why I prefer it, but I guess whatever colors work in your kitchen would help you make your decision.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5