Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1601764 - 09/09/11 05:03 PM CRA Assessment Area
Shera Offline
New Poster
Louisiana
When should a large bank re-assess their assessment area if the bank have plans to open more branches? Should the bank re-assess the assessment area before or after the new branches?

Return to Top
CRA
#1601795 - 09/09/11 05:29 PM Re: CRA Assessment Area Shera
3-2-Go Offline
Gold Star
3-2-Go
East
I personally would wait until I had some data to base this descision on.

Return to Top
#1601853 - 09/09/11 06:18 PM Re: CRA Assessment Area 3-2-Go
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
There must be some data now available to management if they are thinking of opening de novo branches outside the exisiting AA.

Do you use whole counties as your AA Shera?

You wouldn't want to wait too long...as in getting the CRA pre-exam request list and having opened the branches without expanding the AA.

Return to Top
#1602075 - 09/09/11 11:15 PM Re: CRA Assessment Area Shera
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: Shera
When should a large bank re-assess their assessment area if the bank have plans to open more branches? Should the bank re-assess the assessment area before or after the new branches?
Taking a look at where you are pulling deposits from and where you are lending can help to determine where you should put a new branch.

In terms of solely the AA, It would be good to assess a before and after picture so you can have a good picture of the effects of the added branches. If you are lending in one area outside the AA and adding branches in another you have to wonder why?
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1602279 - 09/12/11 03:42 PM Re: CRA Assessment Area Pale Rider
Shera Offline
New Poster
Louisiana
We have whole counties.

Return to Top
#1602286 - 09/12/11 03:52 PM Re: CRA Assessment Area Kathleen O. Blanchard
Shera Offline
New Poster
Louisiana
We know where we are going to add branch locations. What we would like to know is-----should we expand our assessment area before we open the locations or after we have had lending activity?????

Return to Top
#1602384 - 09/12/11 05:31 PM Re: CRA Assessment Area Shera
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
more art than science Shera...I would follow KB's advice and gather the numbers now before adding branches, expand the AA once the de novo branches are open, and then pick some dates after opening to see how you are serving the new AAs..

Return to Top
#1602764 - 09/13/11 01:59 PM Re: CRA Assessment Area Pale Rider
Shera Offline
New Poster
Louisiana
Thank you for your help.

Return to Top
#1603865 - 09/15/11 04:33 AM Re: CRA Assessment Area Shera
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
I would definitely develop potential Assessment Area scenarios before finalizing branch sites. All too often management will make decisions without considering the CRA implications. I am not suggesting that CRA issues trump everything else, but management should definitely understand how different potential locations can affect AA delineation and thereby performance standards. I could tell you one story after the other when this has not been done and the bank has unknowingly made their CRA performance standards more difficult.

Return to Top