Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1602542 - 09/12/11 07:56 PM IRA Savings Accounts - Dormancy fee
Banker57 Offline
Gold Star
Minnesota
Does anyone know if we can change the dormant account fee on an IRA Savings account?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1602637 - 09/13/11 12:32 AM Re: IRA Savings Accounts Banker57
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Fee limitations are a State law issue.

Return to Top
#1602666 - 09/13/11 10:57 AM Re: IRA Savings Accounts Banker57
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You IRA disclosure and your financial projections should have noted the existence of any such fees.

As an aside, your bank got into the IRA business because they generated long term, low activity deposits. It knew good and well that there would be no activity for many years and that there would very limited activity when the participant reached mandatory distribution age.

I cannot think of any fee that would be more inappropriate.

Return to Top
#1602686 - 09/13/11 12:45 PM Re: IRA Savings Accounts Elwood P. Dowd
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
That was my first thought upon reading the question yesterday. FWIW, I second your opinion.

Having said that...I have a problem with dormant account fees in general, so maybe I'm biased to begin with! wink

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1602691 - 09/13/11 12:50 PM Re: IRA Savings Accounts - Dormancy fee RR Joker
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
I have a problem with dormant account fees in general..

Me too. Dormancy fees were originally imposed because banks segregated dormant accounts and then imposed a significant level of oversight to prevent fraud. Very few institutions do that now and, since dormancy does not otherwise increase costs, I regard it as legalized pilferage; i.e. "You weren't looking, so we took your money."

Return to Top
#1603129 - 09/13/11 08:11 PM Re: IRA Savings Accounts - Dormancy fee Elwood P. Dowd
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
What about costs of printing and mailing statements on these accounts ? and monitoring (by the internal auditor smile that an authorized is transacting when someone finally decides to re-activate the account in order to use it ?

Return to Top
#1603225 - 09/14/11 12:01 AM Re: IRA Savings Accounts - Dormancy fee kiemo
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"What about costs of printing and mailing statements on these accounts ?"

Whether there is a transaction or not, what is the additional cost there??? As far as the other argument, that's a one time occurrence. Weak arguments in my book.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett