BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1602408 - 09/12/11 06:00 PM Chronic Back Pain
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Back pain is new to me. There were alot of tests (starting in April) as all my symptoms seemed more like kidneys rather than back pain. My back, per se, wasn't hurting, just lower left side. Tests ruled out kidneys and so they thought maybe I'd pulled muscles in my back. I went thru physical therapy, and that didn't help.

After an MRI, they see some degenerative disc disease between #4 and #5 and pinching of nerves on the left side, which is causing the pain. My pain shows up in the lower left side of my back, wraps around the hip towards the front. I have no leg pains at all.

The neurologist says I can have steriod epidurals (no more than three times a year) with the last resort being to fuse #4 and #5 together. *shudder*

Anyone else have back problems like this? I'm wetting-my-pants-afraid of a steriod epidurals (the needle). To the point of being sick. At this point I'm taking anti-inflammatories and that is helping.

Return to Top
#1602421 - 09/12/11 06:15 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain HRH Okie Banker
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
This may sound couner intuitive, but I would recommend exercise and tretching, specifically, yoga. I would stay witht the anti-inflamitories, but most of the cases of degenerative back dignosis that I have seen are really a case of degenrative muscles or unbalanced muscles. I really think it woul dbe worth a try. Understand taht this wil likely hurt in the beginnning....but not as much as a needle.

Return to Top
#1602427 - 09/12/11 06:18 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain HRH Okie Banker
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Okie-

I have degenerative disc problems-my L5-S1 was herniated straight back into my spinal cord (they normally herniate to one side or the other). I went through months of PT, chiro visits and steroid packs. I got 3 opinions 2 from surgeons and the 3rd from a Boston Doctor that specializes in PT for back problems- first recommended a discectomy (they simply cut out the piece of the disc that is protruding), the second recommended a fusion (told me I could have a discectomy but since it is degenerative I will have the problem again)The 3rd told me that discectomy was the way to go-mine was so bad he didn't know how I could walk. He also said a fusion was way to extreme for my case and was disgusted that it was suggested.

I had the discectomy in May, 2007 and the first time I got out of the hospital bed post surgery, I knew the problem was gone. I try to do my exercises daily and so far, so good. I am always mindful that I could have a recurrence of the problem. Core strength is key. The stronger the core and abs, the less stress on the back and discs.
Last edited by Sox Stink in 11; 09/12/11 06:18 PM.

Return to Top
#1602441 - 09/12/11 06:27 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain Bankbb1, PITA
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Okie,

I have degenerative disc disease as the source of all my back pain.

L3/L4 and L4/L5 are both drying up. I've lived with it for a few years. The neurosurgeon I saw indicated that he wouldn't suggest a surgery on me at age 38 (when I had my MRI done) because it wouldn't be a permanent fix (replacement disc). He said the shelf life of a replacement disc is only about 15 years, and he figured I wouln't want to do it again in my 50s and then again before I turn 70.

He recommended physical therapy, which I did and enjoyed. But, with a business in addition to a full time job and family, I couldn't commit 2 hours/day, so that lasted 6 weeks.

B Cubed is right in that the pain and discomfort we feel can be (at least partially) alleviated with exercise/toning. If I could drop a few pounds (say...30), there would be less pressure on those vertebrae and therefore less bone-bone contact and less pain. By adding muscle to that area, there would be even less, as the muscle would actually do some of the cushioning by holding it all together better.

We have an employee whose husband had similar issues, and he took up Tai Chi, and he has had tremendous results. One day, I'll get up off my @$$ and do some of these things.

Keep taking your anti-inflammatories, especially if they are helping now. I tried a regimen of Celebrex and a muscle relaxer, and the Celebrex caused nightmares and night sweats. No fun. I prefer the pain to sleeping issues.

Good luck.

Return to Top
#1602450 - 09/12/11 06:35 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain Pup
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
battling back pain for a long time (from a car accident). i sit on an exercise ball at work, both for the posture and for the healing properties (i think anyway). also try to exercise daily, yoga was good, but hurt too much. i find walking my dog and talking to him is my best therapy. we walk about 1-2 miles a day.

Return to Top
#1602508 - 09/12/11 07:29 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain wavewatcher
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Wow. What a help it's been to hear about other alternatives, especially since they are more natural vs. medical (shots and surgeries).

I'll start taking the anti-inflammatories on a more regular basis and research/determine what exercises will be best for me. I hadn't tried walking since I thought that would be bad rather than working thru the bad to get to the good. Walking will be good for me as well as for my older dogs. It will be win-win.

I don't know what to attribute it to, but I've already lost 11 pounds just in the last few weeks. Hopefully that will help too.

Return to Top
#1602510 - 09/12/11 07:26 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain wavewatcher
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Okie

I have found that the some of my back pain (degen disk and arth.)can be reduce when I am reduced in size.

Exercise help a lot with both.

I am not taking any pain meds as I do not believe in them. From time to time some anti-inflams. Chyro. and PT have helped but not enough for the time it takes.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1602575 - 09/12/11 08:41 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain edAudit
Key Lime Pie Offline
100 Club
Louisville, KY
I had my first epidural for back pain 11 days ago. The pain I've had is so bad, I would have done anything to get rid of it, although I wasn't very excited about the needle. I have to say it did hurt, but the pain lasted less than 1 minute and was much less severe than the daily pain I've been dealing with. I'm going back Friday for my second one in the series of three. After the injections, I'm supposed to go to PT. To me it's worth trying before having to resort to surgery. Good luck.

Return to Top
#1602584 - 09/12/11 08:44 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain Key Lime Pie
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I sometimes suffer from sciatica (sp?) and can't even stand up straight! doc gave me the shot a couple of times and the relief was immediate! Don't like that needle but that pain was nothing compared to the back pain. He also gave me stretching exercises to do. It's important to keep the stomach muscles firm and strong - they support the back. Usually I'm good with the exercises and 4 advil (which equals prescription strength ibuprophen).

My mom had a disc in her neck fused together but still suffers neck pain. Not sure that would be the route I'd go.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1602642 - 09/13/11 12:55 AM Re: Chronic Back Pain waldensouth
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
the exercise ball really helps with toning the abs - that's the healing part i referred to. strong abs has helped my bad lower back pain to be managable.

Return to Top
#1602685 - 09/13/11 12:44 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain wavewatcher
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I have arthritis and alignment issues in my lower back due to old injuries - also mostly show up as lower left side and hip pain. Also some neck problems but those aren't the subject here. I hate doctors and I try really hard not to live on pharmaceuticals. I'll pop some Advil here and there if I absolutely can't stand it, but mostly I try to keep my back stretched out and my core muscles strong to support it.

This is going to sound silly, but take a careful look at your mattress. We bought a new one last weekend (Sealy iComfort - their answer to Tempurpedic) and for the first time in YEARS have woken up every morning for a week without back or hip pain. One day I woke up with a tiny muscle spasm in my back that only lasted about 15 minutes, and this morning I've got some muscle issues around my left hip because of jogging in riding boots on and off for half an hour or so last night, but otherwise it's been a miracle. I saw my chiropractor yesterday and he wanted to know what had changed since the last time I was in because I didn't have nearly as many issues for him to straighten out.
Last edited by RR Becca; 09/13/11 12:45 PM. Reason: not enough coffee yet to type well

Return to Top
#1602688 - 09/13/11 12:52 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain RR Becca
BSABecky Offline
100 Club
BSABecky
Seymour, IN USA
I have to agree with RR Becca; we have the same Sealy mattress and it's helped us tremendously. I don't have the kind of pain you all do; it's fibromyalgia, but I have a lot fewer issues with this mattress.

Return to Top
#1602694 - 09/13/11 12:55 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain wavewatcher
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
My husband had a spinal fusion in his mid-20s and has had nothing but problems since. If given the chance to do it over again, he wouldn't. He's constantly battling pain.

I would agree with the core strengthening. I was in a car accident that caused back spasms for weeks. As long as I keep up with some ab stregthening, I have less lower back pain than if I slack off. And I 2nd the ball. I have both a ball and an ergonomic office chair at my desk that I use. I love the ball the best, but it's not practical all of the time.

Return to Top
#1602745 - 09/13/11 01:52 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain NotPerfect
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
We've had the Tempurpedic mattress for about 3 years now and I HATE that mattress. Have since the beginning. We are going to look into others including the sleep number.

Last nite I did quite a few different stretches and ab exercises and started on the anti-inflammatories again. My back is doing good today.

I feel for those of you that have lived with it alot longer than I have and for those that have fibromyalgia and such. Mine is nothing compared to what some of you have.

Lost 11 pounds so far in the last few weeks and I think that is helping because I've lost some in my middle, which I know pulls on the back.

Return to Top
#1602791 - 09/13/11 02:25 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain HRH Okie Banker
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Sleep number is a good bed but not worth the money. Would not buy another. To many issues with air leaks.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1602817 - 09/13/11 02:46 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain edAudit
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
We love our tempurpedic-have had it 8 or 9 years.

Return to Top
#1602837 - 09/13/11 03:08 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain TB 12
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I had a sleep number bed that came with my house. It was one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever slept on. My back and hips hurt everyday after sleeping on it for few months. I got a good Simmons mattress and my back and hip pain disappeared. I sold the sleep number bed on Craigslist and had people falling all over themselves to buy it. The woman who did drove nearly 3 hours to my house to look at it and drove back the next day to pick it up. To each their own I guess.

Return to Top
#1602847 - 09/13/11 03:16 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain edAudit
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
agree with lots of the above. L3-L5 slight compression, but enough that I can almost hear and feel the grinding at times. The various exercises (those dreaded planks for the core, and some to help stretch the piriformis muscle) and just plain moving help a ton. So far just occasional Aleve or ibuprofen is all I need, and I just hope it doesn't worsen.

Return to Top
#1602849 - 09/13/11 03:17 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain edAudit
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
agree with lots of the above. L3-L5 slight compression, but enough that I can almost hear and feel the grinding at times. The various exercises (those dreaded planks for the core, and some to help stretch the piriformis muscle) and just plain moving help a ton. So far just occasional Aleve or ibuprofen is all I need, and I just hope it doesn't worsen.

Return to Top
#1603203 - 09/13/11 10:20 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain Phoenix
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
In addition to traditional plank exercises (and there are dozens and dozens of variations) it's worth looking into the stabilization exercises developed by Stuart McGill, and some of the exercises (not really the right word) by Peter Egoscue (described in his book "Pain Free").
They may help.

Return to Top
#1603290 - 09/14/11 12:56 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain Hrothgar Geiger
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
After an MRI, they see some degenerative disc disease between #4 and #5 and pinching of nerves on the left side, which is causing the pain. My pain shows up in the lower left side of my back, wraps around the hip towards the front. I have no leg pains at all.

After re-reading you post I would check with a doctor, Pt or Chiropractor. before starting any exercise program. The pinched nerve part a Chyro. may be able to help.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1603336 - 09/14/11 02:16 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain edAudit
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I have the same pain in the same part of my back. It really flared up in the last two years and I was taking 6-8 Advil a day. Finally I went to a Chiropractor and it helped dramatically. However, it did take about a month of 2x a week before I really felt better. I was hurting for 2 years so it took a while to feel the effect. Now, I go days without taking any Advil at all. Try a Chiropractor and give it some time before deciding whether it helps or not.

Return to Top
#1604278 - 09/15/11 08:20 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain EllenA
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
I have severe lower lumbar stenosis(narrowing of the spine) at L5 and back is chalked full of arthritis and the lupus doesn't help it much either. I have suffered since I was 18 (I am now 60) with lower back pain and days sometimes in bed because I hurt so bad.

Surgery was never really discussed as an option and I am not pushing it either. I did physical therapy,then stopped and I working out now, but one thing that has helped was my bed I got about 4 years ago a Tempurpedic...not only am I more rested, but my back has not given me that much trouble!!

Return to Top
#1604309 - 09/15/11 08:49 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain Happy Drugs
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
A good mattress really helped me get more rest. It was well worth the ridiculous price to be able to sleep again.

I've struggled with back problems my entire life and I can tell you, you cannot skip your NSAIDs. They help manage swelling and that reduces pressure on the nerves. I can't take them any longer and I can really tell a difference in my back pain level. I don't want to start relying on schedule B narcotics, but I may have to soon.

After years of RA, significant spinal degeneration and fusing of L4 & L5 which reduces motion, I no longer go to a chiropractor, but before my back got so bad, he did help me manage the pain.

Good luck!

Return to Top
#1604314 - 09/15/11 08:51 PM Re: Chronic Back Pain BrendaC
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
It helps manage RA pain? I've never tried it.

Got an e-mail from a friend here who has lupus. She was just diagnosed with digenerative disc disease in her lower back. I recommended a good mattress since many here said it helped them.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett