Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1607121 - 09/22/11 03:25 PM CIP and religious veil
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
we have a woman wearing a veil coming in to take out a loan. she says she won't remove the veil that it is for religious reasons.

CIP?

has anyone ran into this issue ever - if so what did you do?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1607165 - 09/22/11 03:57 PM Re: CIP and religious veil Burgess
BC78a Offline
Gold Star
BC78a
New York
At a prior bank, we would ask the person into a private room and have a female employee compare the face to the CIP information.

Return to Top
#1607271 - 09/22/11 05:14 PM Re: CIP and religious veil Burgess
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
There has already been at least one bank vs. hijab court case, but I cannot locate it. (Articles, yes. Court case, no.) If BC78a's solution is unacceptable, keep in mind that lots of banks open accounts via the Internet - they don't get to compare a face with a photo ID. My point is, don't insist that a photo comparison is essential when it clearly is not.

Alternatively, on receipt of the application, pull the individual's consumer report and ask questions based on that information that only she would be able to answer. If she answers successfully, you should be convinced of her identity.

Yes, any acceptable method should have been outlined in your CIP and this one is not. Do it anyway. Put the amendment in front of the board next month and acknowledge you did it out of policy because you thought it was the right thing to do. Surely, both the board and your next reviewer will have enough sense to realize...

Return to Top
#1607336 - 09/22/11 06:09 PM Re: CIP and religious veil Elwood P. Dowd
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z