Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#160784 - 03/05/04 10:36 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Quote:

... the only drawback to this entire experience has been the halo effect. I knew of this common side-effect, but the halos around every light at night is still a bit annoying.

Ok, when I first heard about this, my first thought was "isn't that how everyone sees the streetlights?" I've seen halos around lights all my life. My mom, too. I have no concept how "normal" people see them.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#160785 - 03/05/04 10:43 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Quote:

... the only drawback to this entire experience has been the halo effect. I knew of this common side-effect, but the halos around every light at night is still a bit annoying.

Ok, when I first heard about this, my first thought was "isn't that how everyone sees the streetlights?" I've seen halos around lights all my life. My mom, too. I have no concept how "normal" people see them.

Huh Thats funny I have always seen halos around lights at night and have never thought anything of it till just now I have been wanting to get this procedure done for quite awhile and probably will once I get a few extra bucks. But I always think of the What If's..

Return to Top
#160786 - 03/05/04 11:38 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

I have a friend who went to some hot shot at the local hospital and got MESSED UP! This poor guy now has double vision past 50 yards or so, glare, halos + he still has to wear contacts and glasses...He started as blind as Andy was. I think that was probably part of it. This proves that the most expensive doesn't mean the best either. The guys I went to took their time evaulating, and made sure that I understood everything. The total cost for me was $2k, easily worth every penny!!!

Hey, that sounds like me on a good day!!! Had an eye patch by the time I was a year old and glasses at 19 months. I was put into bifocals at 6. Finally got contacts after my first year of college as long as I promised to wear reading glasses. Now I have bifocal contacts. They are not great, but I can read ok most of the time. My double vision is getting worse (so says my opthomologist). Says surgery may be in my future, but it won't be Lasik. I've seen 1 1/2 of everything for as long as I can remember. I don't know what it would be like to see only one of something!

Return to Top
#160787 - 03/05/04 11:46 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
I've always wondered: how do the doctors know what prescription to give a 19-month-old? I mean, when I got glasses, they put that thing over my eyes and had me read the letters followed by a bunch of, "Okay, is this better or is this better?" So how do they know if the baby is really seeing clearly? Something I've been curious about because I have a nephew who got glasses really young.

Return to Top
#160788 - 03/08/04 03:55 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
They used a lot of pictures. I can still remember trying to reach out and grab for the shoe (which was in a picture, but the glasses I looked through made it like 3-D. My problem was also muscular - and they were working to get the right strength to keep my eyes straight.

Return to Top
#160789 - 03/08/04 09:16 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My eyesight is awful just like many of you have stated. My contacts are minus 7.75 and - 8.0...My question is this...my eyedoctor has never been able to put contacts in my eyes (I have to do it) because my eye muscles are terribly strong and they won't stay open with someone else's hand there...I also had "tatoo eyeliner" done awhile back and she stated I was probably the worst patient she ever had...so...how do you keep you eye open knowing they are cutting on you?????? I'd love to have it done...but I'm afraid I'd make them botch it all up!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#160790 - 03/08/04 09:24 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Anonymous
Unregistered

They give you valium and they keep your eyes open with a clamp

Return to Top
#160791 - 03/08/04 09:27 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
Oooooh, they put these big metal things on your eye that holds the lid open (it kinda reminded of a big paperclip bent all up). There is no way possible to blink with these buggers in your eye. Then they put numbing drops on your eyeball. It's the weirdest thing to be able to see them literally brushing your eyeball with a Q-tip type thing and be able to see it but not blink or feel it.

Edited to say: Actually, they put the numbing drops in FIRST and then they do the metal "eyelid holder-openers".
Last edited by croak44; 03/08/04 09:29 PM.

Return to Top
#160792 - 03/08/04 09:33 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Quote:

Oooooh, they put these big metal things on your eye that holds the lid open

...images of the movie "A Clockwork Orange"....

Return to Top
#160793 - 03/08/04 09:34 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
KrisH Offline
Gold Star
KrisH
Massachusetts
If I could ask, how many people here who have had it live in the Boston area? I've been wearing glasses since I was about 10, contacts since I was 14. My vision in my left eye is -7 and my right is only -2.5 (whenever I order contacts, people always feel like they have to double check that that's right ), and I also have astigmatism in my right eye. I've always thought about the LASIK surgery, but very recently I have been seriously considering it more and more, partially because I hear so many stories of people who are thrilled with it, and because I too am sick and tired of glasses and contacts. The many people I've heard from all find it the best thing they ever did, but none of them live around here... and I wouldn't mind getting a personal experience from someone if they have them to offer.

Also, I too would be very leery about using any "Two eyes for $1000!" doctors, but does anyone know the "average" cost these days? I hear a lot of $2,000-$3,000 ranges.. does that sound accurate? I think that could easily be money well spent for me...

Return to Top
#160794 - 03/08/04 09:55 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
I'm sure costs vary by region (and some good ol' supply and demand), but most centers seem to work on a "tiered" basis. I had my procedure done in Denver, where the tiers varied from $299/eye for a -1.25, up to $1,599/eye for the -8 and beyond range. Who knows - maybe your quirky prescription will end up saving you a few bucks!

I agree that you should not buy on price alone, but don't get sucked into a "it costs more so it is better" mentality, either. The marketing campaigns for the laser centers are pretty slick, and I've seen them try to capitalize on every angle, from cost savings to elitism. Whatever you do, insist upon learning the background of the physician and how many surgeries he/she has performed. If they won't disclose, don't go!

Lastly, make sure you are comparing apples to oranges. Some centers have an all-inclusive package, which includes pre- and post-op eye exams, while others appear to be very competitively priced, but add on a $600 referral fee for the follow-up optometrist.

Return to Top
#160795 - 03/09/04 12:01 AM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Also, when I had mine done, where I did, touch ups were free for 2 years. Many packages now include free touch ups for life. But inquire as to what goes into that as you will have several visits pre- and post-surgery.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#160796 - 03/09/04 03:13 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
My doctor not only gives free follow-up surgery if you need it, but also contacts and glasses if you need them (as a result of the surgery, or if the surgery was not enough), and drops, and check-ups!

Return to Top
#160797 - 03/09/04 03:21 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
Georgia Golfer Offline
Gold Star
Georgia Golfer
1st Tee
The only thing that I had to pay for was the antibiotic drops that I had to start prior to surgery. All my follow ups are covered + I even got a free T-shirt!!!

It truely is a miracle. Playing golf this weekend with my new eyes was great. It was windy, sunny & the pollen is drifting (welcome to spring in N. Fla, normally a nightmare for my contacts, no problems now. Everything was so much clearer and brighter.

I've found the goggles to be a pain in the *#^. I go in for another follow up Thursday, hopefully that will be the end of the goggles

Return to Top
#160798 - 04/23/04 09:24 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
TomS Offline
Gold Star
USA
I asked my eye doctor about laser eye surgery and he said my eyes were too bad to make it worthwhile. I've probably got most of you beat in the bad eye category - my right eye is -12.25 and my left -14.25. However, my eye doctor said I was a good candidate for clear lens extraction, where they remove the lens from your eye so you can see better. Has anyone heard of this or had it done?

Return to Top
#160799 - 04/23/04 10:58 PM Re: LASIK, LASEK, & PPK
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Quote:

I asked my eye doctor about laser eye surgery and he said my eyes were too bad to make it worthwhile. I've probably got most of you beat in the bad eye category - my right eye is -12.25 and my left -14.25. However, my eye doctor said I was a good candidate for clear lens extraction, where they remove the lens from your eye so you can see better. Has anyone heard of this or had it done?

I think my numbers were worse than that. I was always nearsighted, but when I went for an evaluation for Lasik 5 years ago I found out I had cataracts! (I'm not that old) But....it's a good thing!

I had the bad old lenses extracted and had synthetic lenses implanted. Now - 20/40 in one eye and 20/30 in the other - uncorrected. And, unlike Lasik, it was covered by medical insurance.

I asked my doctor why this type of surgery was not done strictly for a case like yours (and like mine pre-cataract).
He said mainly it was due to cost - insurance would not cover it. Heck, if I had known it was available I might have given it some serious thought, regardless of the price.

I know how frustrating it is to have such poor vision - I started wearing glasses when I was 5.

Good luck!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2