BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1608371 - 09/26/11 12:29 PM Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
This story was on the Internet yesterday. I cried after reading it. For those of you who can't get to it, a couple was trying to adopt a baby girl <he's 61 wife is 44 - baby girl is 11 months>. They both had adult daughters from previous marriages.

To make a long story short he was sick. At first they thought pancreatic cancer, but then ruled it out. Eventually he was diagnosed with cancer and then got complications. He didn't have long and wanted to adopt her before he died so she could have his name and get some of his military benefits.

The adoption was final at 12:09 p.m. He died at 12:17.

Click Here

Last edited by Duchess Skittles; 09/26/11 12:32 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1608383 - 09/26/11 12:56 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl Skittles
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I don't get it. You would think that they would be risking the government saying that this was done to get her military benefits, and thus not give them when it is this obvious. I'm also surprised that an adoption was allowed to a dying man? Seems odd. I hope the wife can handle the daughter on her own.

Return to Top
#1608612 - 09/26/11 04:32 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl B_F
Kay41 Offline
New Poster
This story also moved me when I read it. B_F they had been caring for the little girl for a while, they just needed the paperwork for it to be official.

Return to Top
#1608655 - 09/26/11 05:14 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl Kay41
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
B_F, seriously, would the government not end up paying for this child either way? At least she's in a loving home instead of bouncing around questionable family or foster care.

I'm just glad that the biologoical father had a good head on his shoulders and let it happen.

Return to Top
#1608671 - 09/26/11 05:29 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl B_F
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: B_F
I don't get it. You would think that they would be risking the government saying that this was done to get her military benefits, and thus not give them when it is this obvious. I'm also surprised that an adoption was allowed to a dying man? Seems odd. I hope the wife can handle the daughter on her own.

I am not quite sure of what your point is here, BF, but not having a husband around hasn't diminished my ability to raise my son. Actually, it's probably better for my son this way. smile

Return to Top
#1608679 - 09/26/11 05:34 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl Retired DQ
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Originally Posted By: Deekles, CRCM

I am not quite sure of what your point is here, BF, but not having a husband around hasn't diminished my ability to raise my son. Actually, it's probably better for my son this way. smile

I gotta agree with DQ here BF. I don't post often in the cooler anymore but saw this and had to say something. I lost my husband last year. Granted my two boys are ours and they lost their Dad at a very young age, the fact that I'm on my own as the sole parent, hasn't diminished my ability to parent in the least either. Not making waves and don't think you meant any harm by your post but I'm just making a statement, we're doing ok. smile
Last edited by Pizza Queen; 09/26/11 06:02 PM.
Return to Top
#1608690 - 09/26/11 05:45 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl P*Q
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Sorry guys. I didn't mean to stir up anything - I was just moved to tears by the story itself and how everything worked out the way 'dad' wanted it to.

Return to Top
#1608691 - 09/26/11 05:46 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl Skittles
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I agree skittles, it was a touching story. smile

Return to Top
#1608696 - 09/26/11 05:49 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl Retired DQ
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Me too Skittles, me too. Great story, loved it!

Return to Top
#1608866 - 09/26/11 08:22 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl P*Q
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Pizza Queen
Originally Posted By: Deekles, CRCM

I gotta agree with DQ here BF. I don't post often in the cooler anymore but saw this and had to say something. I lost my husband last year. Granted my two boys are ours and they lost their Dad at a very young age, the fact that I'm on my own as the sole parent, hasn't diminished my ability to parent in the least either. Not making waves and don't think you meant any harm by your post but I'm just making a statement, we're doing ok. smile

I'm not at all saying a single parent is diminishing to the child, but when I read the article, it seemed like the husband was the driving force behind the adoption, and he wasn't going to live. That just seemed very odd to me. I guess I missed that the woman wanted the child as much as the husband.

Return to Top
#1608898 - 09/26/11 08:43 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl B_F
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
As it appears to be pick on BF day today.

Did any new bengals get arrested over the weekend?

Now for future reference this is the proper way to pick on BF. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1608917 - 09/26/11 08:53 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl edAudit
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
<----Not picking on BF. smile

Return to Top
#1608971 - 09/26/11 09:36 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl P*Q
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I see both sides, but I think in the end, since the couple had already been taking care of the child, this was for the best and well-deserved.

On a daily basis, GIs marry girls they barely know, and that is done so that they get military benefits and an increase in their housing allowance. In many cases, it is done JUST before a deployment. It is obvious in many of those cases, too, that they are doing it 100% for the benefits.

That would be a better place to start a crackdown on benefits, then I'd move to cutting the hazardous fire pay to officers who spend a day or less in a "hostile" zone each month. But that is another thread. Too much corruption BY those in the military to go after those takind advantage OF the military at this point in time.

Return to Top
#1609061 - 09/27/11 01:16 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl P*Q
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Pizza Queen
<----Not picking on BF. smile

I didn't feel like anyone picked on me in this thread at all, even asking about idiot Bengals players. I'm no longer backing the Bengals at all, won't root for them, sold off all merchandise (except for a can of Hu-Dey beer), and returned all the bengals glasses to the doorstep of the Pro-Shop in a bag with them broken months ago. Until Mike Brown dies, the franchise will never be able to turn the corner.

Return to Top
#1609440 - 09/27/11 06:31 PM Re: Dying Man's Adoption of Baby Girl B_F
BSABecky Offline
100 Club
BSABecky
Seymour, IN USA
Quote:
I'm not at all saying a single parent is diminishing to the child, but when I read the article, it seemed like the husband was the driving force behind the adoption, and he wasn't going to live. That just seemed very odd to me. I guess I missed that the woman wanted the child as much as the husband.

This was my first reaction until I read all the full articles I could. One article didn't even mention the wife. I thought, "who allows a man to adopt a child when the man is going to die in five minutes?"

For what it's worth, I'm adopted. Finally hearing the whole story made me beyond happy; I think this is just great, to be honest. smile

Return to Top