Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#161026 - 02/17/04 04:17 PM ICBA Auditing School
Apple Offline
Apple
Oklahoma
Has anyone gone to the ICBA Auditing school? What is it like and what kind of questions on test? True/False or Multiple choice

Return to Top
Audit
#161027 - 02/17/04 04:54 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
jason Offline
100 Club
Almost Heaven
i went last year in may. it was very informative. it doesnt get very deep, but it does help lay a solid foundation. the test were multiple choice. i wouldnt worry to much about the tests, they arent easy but if you pay attention during the lecture and study a little you should pass. i would recommend it.
<><

Return to Top
#161028 - 02/17/04 10:25 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
Roun Offline
southeast
I agree with Jason. I also went to both week I and II last year and thought it was very beneficial. While they did not go in-depth to much on each topic (due to the time) It did pretty much go over all areas. I especially enjoyed the IT which is at the end of the second week - only wish ICBA would start a separate school just for IT. I also would recommend it. However, staying for the entire two weeks in one sitting (which I didn't do) but heard it could be pretty stressful.

Return to Top
#161029 - 02/18/04 12:47 AM Re: ICBA Auditing School
Mad Dog Offline
New Poster
Pacific NW
I attended week I and II back to back in September. I agree with the others that if you pay attention and study the exams go pretty smoothly. It was an excellent experience.

Return to Top
#161030 - 02/18/04 05:21 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
Bucko Offline
100 Club
Heartland
I attended both weeks in September also and do recommend it. As stated earlier, they don't go into detail on specific audits, but do give you a good foundation to work from. Two weeks is a long time to be away, but the two weekers hang out together and help the time pass.
Last edited by Bucko; 02/18/04 05:25 PM.

Return to Top
#161031 - 02/18/04 05:42 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
I am going to Kansas City in May. Since I am new to auditing, I hope it will give me the basics. I intend to take one week at a time. If you are going, maybe I will see you there.

Return to Top
#161032 - 02/18/04 10:26 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
Bucko Offline
100 Club
Heartland
One more thing... I was surprised/relieved at how many beginning auditors were there with little to NO experience. Good luck!

Return to Top
#161033 - 02/19/04 02:03 AM Re: ICBA Auditing School
Jayda's Mom Offline
100 Club
North
I'm going to the school in May too! Are there any others who are planning on attending?

Return to Top
#161034 - 02/20/04 06:31 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
I went after being on the job for 2 weeks! Found it VERY beneficial. Make contacts, ask questions - Network, Network, Network!!!

Return to Top
#161035 - 04/19/04 02:50 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
Bank on it Offline
100 Club
Bank on it
New York
I am going to the first week in Kansas City and the second week in Minneapolis. I can't believe it is only three weeks away! Anyone else attending?

Return to Top
#161036 - 04/23/04 09:03 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
I did the 2-week stint in September and enjoyed it. I met several people from all over and still email a lot of them. This is very helpfull, especially when you find something that you are unfamiliar with. Talk to as many people as you can. (The hotel bar after class is a great place to make friends.)

I was establishing an IA Dept, and the school helped me lay down the basics. I was surprised how many new auditors were in the class.

The tests were tough, but everyone passed. They were a lot of multiple guess and some T/F. Some people studied a lot, and some didn't study that much. (I used the six pack study method and still made it. No really, I don't have a drinking problem. ) Also, if you obtain your certification, you can use it as a substitute for part 4 of the CIA exam. (If that is something you are interested in.)

Have fun!

Return to Top
#161037 - 04/27/04 09:07 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
itsme Offline
100 Club
itsme
Do you have to be an ICBA member to attend the audit school? How do you go about learning more about the school, what it offers, where it is held?

Return to Top
#161038 - 04/27/04 09:26 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
They don't make it that easy, but you can go to the ICBA Homepage and choose education and then choose seminars and then auditing seminars and then choose the week that you are interested in. Or, you can call 800-422-7285 and tell them that you are interested in the Auditing Institute and they'll send you a package. It's held twice a year (May and September) and runs for 2 weeks. You can take them both back to back or a week at a time. The one in May is in Kansas City and the one in September is in Minneapolis. The program is geared toward someone who needs the basics in auditing, but we had several people with many years experience in the class also.

Your bank does not have to be a member, but you get a discount if they are. Hopefully, this helps. If not, let me know.

Return to Top
#161039 - 05/13/04 05:47 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
Anonymous
Unregistered

I attended the ICBA Auditing School seven years ago. It provided me a good understanding of all the areas in the bank and what should be included in an audit. It also helped me when I type up my reports to the Audit Committee and the process to follow up on the recommendations, etc. I also attend the annual Conference (3 days) in September for a refresher and to learn about the "hot" topics. This also gives me a chance to network with other IAs and Compliance gurus.

Return to Top
#161040 - 08/16/04 08:41 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering was the dress code was? What do people usually wear?

Return to Top
#161041 - 08/16/04 09:00 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
Becker Offline
Iowa
I went 2 years ago in Kansas City. You'll see everything, but casual is fine. Jeans appear to be acceptable. Wish I would've brought more! You'll probably want a sweater or light jacket - evidently it's hard to control the temperature in those places!

Return to Top
#161042 - 08/17/04 02:33 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
HMS Pippii Offline
Diamond Poster
HMS Pippii
snorkeling in warm, clear wate...
I was a daycamper when I went because I live in the KC metro area - the nice part was not having to worry about what to take with me. The temperature in the room seemed hard to control so I ended up mostly wearing jeans and a lightweight shirt with a sweater or sweatshirt handy (and usually wore it). There were plenty of people in jeans and I met several people who were there for the full 2 weeks who hadn't realized they could bring jeans and they weren't real happy in their business clothes.

Return to Top
#161043 - 08/17/04 03:40 PM Re: ICBA Auditing School
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
I did the 2 weeks in Minn. I wore dockers and a polo shirt, because that's what I have more of (gotta make it 2 weeks without washing clothes). I could have worn t-shirts and jeans, if I would have had them. I also suggest you bring a jacket or sweater. BRRRRR, the room was cold. BTW, it was warmer in Minn than in LA when I arrived, but it was downright nippy by the end of the second week (at least for this southern boy ). Plan for both heat and cold.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z