Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1613938 - 10/07/11 06:37 PM CTR & Chex System
Bee Cee Offline
A non-customer came into the branch and cashed an on-us check >$10,000. The teller failed to gather all the information necessary to complete the CTR. So they utilized Chex Systems to obtain the customers address and DOB. As we all know, Chex Systems is utilized by banks when opening an account to determine if an individual has committed check fraud and possible account abuse. Anyone see a possible issue here in that this information for the CTR was obtained surreptitiously?
Last edited by Bee Cee; 10/07/11 07:30 PM.
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1614043 - 10/07/11 08:09 PM Re: CTR & Chex System Bee Cee
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
My understaniding is that Chex is a consumer reporting agency and you do not have the right to look-up this particular individual without his authorization, which is given when opening an account but not when cashing a check.

Return to Top
#1614094 - 10/07/11 09:01 PM Re: CTR & Chex System Bee Cee
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If this individual reviews his consumer report at some point your query will appear there and he will have the basis for an FCRA complaint.

Why is it so hard for tellers to understand: You get the identification and required information, then you conduct the transaction!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z