Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1613860 - 10/07/11 05:21 PM Appraiser Independence
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
A consultant told me that, for purposes of the Larger Creditor Safe Harbor (>250 million), the “loan production function” means an employee, officer, director, department, division, or other unit of the creditor with responsibility for generating Covered Transactions, approving Covered Transactions, or both. The term does not include a person whose only responsibility is for credit administration or risk management, such as loan underwriting, loan closing, preparing loan documentation, disbursing funds, collections, servicing, monitoring loan performance, or foreclosure processing. However, if a person who performs any of these functions (e.g., loan underwriting) also performs loan production functions (e.g., offers loans), he/she will be treated as part of the loan production function.

Our underwriters approve loans & review appraisals. He also pointed me to a 2006 SRC Insights where Fed stated that examiners would seek to verify proper segration between the appraisal process (including review of appraisals) and underwriting. He stated that even though the 2006 guidance is no longer in effect - the spirit of the current independence guidance reflects that of the 2006 version.

Do we lack proper independence?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1614038 - 10/07/11 07:59 PM Re: Appraiser Independence ahou
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
We have segregated appraisal reviews and real estate evaluations from anyone involved in loan production and/or loan approval. We are a $320MM community bank, and the Appraisal Coordinator reports to me (Risk Manager and Compliance Officer). She is not, however, full time in her appraisal function. She also takes care of a lot of Loan Department Board reporting and administrative functions. She specifically has a background in real estate and appraisals and has received proper training to function in this role.

Return to Top
#1614262 - 10/11/11 01:38 AM Re: Appraiser Independence EmilyAnn
InFairness, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
InFairness, CRCM
USA
IMO, you lack independence for a large institution.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z