Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1614921 - 10/12/11 07:19 PM MSB vs Check Casher
DGEND Offline
DGEND
NY
Can anyone tell me if a business is registered with FinCen as an MSB do they also have to be licensed in their particular state as a check casher?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1615007 - 10/12/11 09:05 PM Re: MSB vs Check Casher DGEND
PeeWee Offline
Gold Star
It's my understanding it's a matter of state law. You should be able to find the information on your state's Department of Banking or Department of Financial Services website.
Last edited by PeeWee; 10/12/11 09:06 PM.
Return to Top
#1615009 - 10/12/11 09:07 PM Re: MSB vs Check Casher PeeWee
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: PeeWee
It's my understanding it's a matter of state law. You should be able to find the information on your state's Department of Banking or Department of Financial Services website.

That's my understanding as well.

Return to Top
#1615075 - 10/13/11 10:41 AM Re: MSB vs Check Casher DGEND
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
No, not necessarily. I've yet to come across a state that uses FinCEN's definitions (particularly since they were just revised) and some do not even use the term "money service business." You look at the activity; e.g. check cashing, and then see if your state has any licensing requiremments. As noted, most states lodge the regulatory authority with their department of financial institutions. Some do not. I would encourage you to call them first, but all they may be able to tell you is that they do not handle it.

Return to Top
#1615400 - 10/13/11 05:21 PM Re: MSB vs Check Casher Elwood P. Dowd
DGEND Offline
DGEND
NY
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to make a phone call or maybe I'll spice things up and GOOGLE!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z