Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#161596 - 02/18/04 10:22 PM Home Equity Lending
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where can I get some good background information and training material regarding home equity lending? Thanks.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#161597 - 02/18/04 10:27 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there any particular state in which you are interested?

Return to Top
#161598 - 02/18/04 11:22 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Anonymous
Unregistered

Texas

Return to Top
#161599 - 02/19/04 02:31 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Have you read the Texas forum on these threads?

Return to Top
#161600 - 02/19/04 02:32 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Lestie G Online

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
TBA is a good source of information. I recently received a brochure about a seminar they're putting on in March. It will be held in three different cities. You might go to their website for more info. In addition, IBAT is a good resource. Look into the threads in the Texas forum - we've discussed this topic often, and there are some good resource links in several threads.

Return to Top
#161601 - 02/19/04 02:36 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Texas Bankers Association has a great handout called the Texas Home Equity Lending Guide. They are also teaching classes on March 23, 24, & 25 on the new constitutional amendment and all the recent interpretations/lawsuits/etc.

Return to Top
#161602 - 02/19/04 03:16 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Anonymous
Unregistered

The main issue for you to pay attention to is who your supervisor is; i.e., any of the FFIEC supervisors, or are you state-chartered (with the FDIC joining the examination), or what. If your supervisor is any of the federal regulators and you come under the preemption rules, then the state regulations won't apply -- though the federal Fair Lending regulations are identical. Are you a subprime home-equity lender? If so, you want to distinguish yourself as being responsible and not a predator. Standards for acceptable FICO scores and creditworthiness, required debt-to-income ratios and proper assessment of repayment capacity, and valuation of and reliance on collateral as only a contingency source of recovery in the event of default ... these are the core principles of home-equity lending. What benefit does each borrower derive in getting the equity loan? If your institution is not experienced in this or is a johnny-come-lately, the examiners' increased knowledge and considerable targeting of home-equity lending can result in reputational risk problems if you're not very diligent.

Return to Top
#161603 - 02/19/04 08:40 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Lestie G Online

Power Poster
I wouldn't be hasty and decide that the preemption rule will apply to Texas home equity laws. The jury is still decidedly out on that one.

Return to Top
#161604 - 02/20/04 02:19 AM Re: Home Equity Lending
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am very interested in seeing what portions of the Texas home equity lending laws are going to eventually be preempted by the OCC. My layperson's reading says it has the protential to be quite substantive.

Return to Top
#161605 - 02/20/04 04:07 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Lestie G Online

Power Poster
I'm hoping you're right! I've asked the OCC to give me some direction on this if they get any. With all the ruckus, though - we certainly don't want to be the ones on the 'cutting edge'. Those cuts hurt!

Return to Top
#161606 - 02/20/04 04:19 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about the provision in the OCC preemption rule that specifically excludes homestead laws as preempted (34.4(b)(4))? This may turn on whether there was any provision in the Texas constitution prior to 9/29/94 (the date of enactment of Reigle-Neal Interstate Banking and Branching Efficiency Act) that exempts homesteads from foreclosure, forced sale, etc. I know the home equity provisions are of more recent vintage (January 1, 1998), but the statute referred to in the preemption rule (12 USC 1462a(f)) also covers amendments to constitutional provisions that were in effect on 9/29/94. Could this mean that all home equity lending in Texas escapes the preemption rule? I haven't a clue. Any thoughts?

Return to Top
#161607 - 02/20/04 08:56 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I wouldn't be hasty and decide that the preemption rule will apply to Texas home equity laws.

Given that the challenges by states to the federal preemption rules have all been overturned, it is a safe bet to say that preemption will prevail and that Texas state law will never apply to either savings associations (OTS supervised) or to national banks (OCC).

Thus far, the federal courts have upheld preemption regarding Ohio state laws affecting discount points; have upheld federal preemption regarding applicability of the Georgia Fair Lending Act; have upheld federal preemption regarding applicability of the New Jersey Home Ownership Security Act of 2002; have upheld preemption of applicability of the New Mexico Home Loan Protection Act; have upheld preemption regarding applicability of loan-related fee restrictions in Iowa; and, most recently, the federal courts have upheld preemption of savings associations and national banks from adhering to New York state law requiring payment of interest on mortgage escrow accounts.

Comptroller Hawke's recent comments on preemption concluded: "The ability of national banks to conduct business subject to a single set of federal laws, under the supervision of a single regulator, free from visitorial powers of various state authorities is a major advantage of the national charter".

Whether you are involved with subprime lending or not, If your institution is federally chartered you won't need to be concerned about Texas state law; but you will nevertheless have to enact anti-predatory lending programs, promote ethical lending, and promote nondiscrimination practices and meaningful disclosures for housing-related lending.

Return to Top
#161608 - 02/20/04 10:57 PM Re: Home Equity Lending
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

If your institution is federally chartered you won't need to be concerned about Texas state law;

Until you want to relocate a branch, open a new branch, acquire a bank, etc. that may require sate approval in addition to federal approval.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with preemption but if you're going to exercise your right of preemption, then the preemption should be all or none. IOW, don't use the law that best suit your needs at the time to give you an edge over us state chartered banks.

If Texas thought their state law governing HELOCs was going to be preempted, do you think it would have gotten passed? I'm not familiar enough with the "evolution" of the HELOC in Texas to know the answer, but it makes one think.

Return to Top