Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1615783 - 10/14/11 01:14 PM Complaint Log
DCollins Offline
Platinum Poster
DCollins
Looking for a procedure to monitor compaliants at our offices. Does anyone keep a complaint log? If so, what type of compliants do you track and what information do you include on the log? I'm thinking just products such as deposit or loan accounts or services such as electronic banking complaints.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1616019 - 10/14/11 06:21 PM Re: Complaint Log DCollins
Cowboys Fan Online
Power Poster
SC
I keep a log of loan billing disputes and credit bureau disputes. It contains the loan number, name, date received by bank employee, short summary of the issue, person who will investigate the issue, date the letter is sent to the customer with the results of the investigation and the resolution. I also calculate the number of days between date received and date resolved. The complaint, along with our checklist, letters, etc. are then imaged.

Return to Top
#1617102 - 10/18/11 07:32 PM Re: Complaint Log Cowboys Fan
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Have you (Cowboys Fan)considered expanding it to include complaints about products, etc.? I am trying to do that but I think people think it is overkill. I happen to sit in an area where I hear customers complain about marketing efforts and products and would think if that information were being collected it would be very helpful.

Return to Top
#1617111 - 10/18/11 07:37 PM Re: Complaint Log Tesla
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Marketing and products are due to become more prominent in regulators' focus on UDAAP. How you handle complaints can be important, but of equal importance will be your record of complaints (and those received by your regulator about you) involving misleading or deceptive marketing or abusive practices.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1617244 - 10/18/11 09:41 PM Re: Complaint Log John Burnett
J Hunt Offline
100 Club
Phoenix, AZ
If you happen to subscribe to Compliance Action there is a good sample log in Volume 16, Number 6 from June 23rd.

Return to Top
#1617261 - 10/18/11 10:06 PM Re: Complaint Log Tesla
Cowboys Fan Online
Power Poster
SC
I'm in the loan ops area so, to be honest, I haven't even thought about marketing and product complaints.

Return to Top
#1618654 - 10/21/11 04:24 PM Re: Complaint Log Cowboys Fan
c@c Offline
100 Club
Georgia
We are regulated by the FDIC and just finished a compliance exam. They spent a lot of time and effort telling us we do not have an adequate system of tracking complaints that are received from across our entire footprint.....and then analyzing the data once it is gathered to determine where "complaint trends" are occurring. They want policies, procedures, tracking, and senior management and board reporting. The September/October issue of ABA Bank Compliance has a good article on what they are expecting. I'm working for formulate a plan now, but see this as a somewhat daunting task as we have over 100 branches. If anyone has such a program in place I'd love to hear more about it.

Return to Top
#1619042 - 10/24/11 03:16 PM Re: Complaint Log c@c
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Originally Posted By: c@c
We are regulated by the FDIC and just finished a compliance exam. They spent a lot of time and effort telling us we do not have an adequate system of tracking complaints that are received from across our entire footprint.....and then analyzing the data once it is gathered to determine where "complaint trends" are occurring. They want policies, procedures, tracking, and senior management and board reporting. The September/October issue of ABA Bank Compliance has a good article on what they are expecting. I'm working for formulate a plan now, but see this as a somewhat daunting task as we have over 100 branches. If anyone has such a program in place I'd love to hear more about it.
We heard this exact same thing last October! We centralized the function in compliance, require all branches and departments to complete a complaint log and send it to Compliance area every month. I as CO analyze them and report all complaints at monthly compliance committee, of which the minutes are reviewed by both Audit Committee and Board of Directors.

Return to Top
#1621930 - 10/30/11 10:46 PM Re: Complaint Log P*Q
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
We'll discuss the need and purpose for logs as well as content in this webinar.

http://calendar.bollearningconnect.com/main.php?view=event&eventid=1317658783685
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1621937 - 10/31/11 10:25 AM Re: Complaint Log Andy_Z
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Several years ago there was a major northern bank that ran afoul of privacy considerations. What they were doing was not specifically against the law at the time, but it was bad judgment in any context.

I heard their compliance officer do a presentation about the ordeal. What I most remember him saying was: "If we had logged our complaints and reviewed them we would have known we had a problem long before our state's attorney general did."

Return to Top
#1636437 - 12/07/11 05:49 PM Re: Complaint Log Elwood P. Dowd
mfpdib Offline
New Poster
On the subject of complaint logs… I am looking to implement an enterprise-wide system to record/monitor complaints and was wondering if anyone has any experience with an “off the shelf” solution. The good ol' Excel Spreadsheet method is in place now, but I don't find it efficient (the last thing I want to do is review or combine multiple spreadsheets). I'd like something more robust that can be used by multiple people and can produce reports as broad or as narrow as needed. Anyone?

Return to Top
#1636454 - 12/07/11 06:07 PM Re: Complaint Log mfpdib
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: mfpdib
On the subject of complaint logs… I am looking to implement an enterprise-wide system to record/monitor complaints and was wondering if anyone has any experience with an “off the shelf” solution. The good ol' Excel Spreadsheet method is in place now, but I don't find it efficient (the last thing I want to do is review or combine multiple spreadsheets). I'd like something more robust that can be used by multiple people and can produce reports as broad or as narrow as needed. Anyone?

Excel? Yuck. Did you attempt Access?

Return to Top
#1636558 - 12/07/11 07:33 PM Re: Complaint Log Bob The Banker
mfpdib Offline
New Poster
Access would be great; at my last job, my boss had built a splendid Access database for this purpose. However, if we have Access here at the new place, I don't have access to it. Otherwise, I would dust off my "Access for Dummies" and (insert teeth gnashing and censored ramblings) attempt to build it myself. That's why I was hoping someone might have experience with one already built and tested.

Return to Top