Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#161813 - 02/19/04 06:08 PM ACH requirements for business accts
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are beginning to offer business accts. It is my understanding that for ACH purposes we must now have an additional Bin set up to debit/credit these accts.. Would this mean that our small DBA accts. be included in the commerical Bin also? Any help appreciated.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#161814 - 02/19/04 10:21 PM Re: ACH requirements for business accts
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
I am so confused. What is a Bin?

Return to Top
#161815 - 02/20/04 01:10 PM Re: ACH requirements for business accts
AMXSteve Offline
Wilmington, OH, USA
In my experience, business accounts usually use the same institution routing number as consumer accounts. I've always heard "BIN" used in reference to debit/credit cards. Maybe it's a regional definition.

Return to Top
#161816 - 02/20/04 01:56 PM Re: ACH requirements for business accts
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

I am so confused. What is a Bin?

It's been a long time since I've dealt with credit card processing, but if I remember correctly for MasterCard/Visa BIN means Bank Identification Number. Banks are assigned (use to be 4 digit Bins) numbers such as 1200, 1222, 1400, etc.

Return to Top
#161817 - 02/20/04 10:15 PM Re: ACH requirements for business accts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me rephrase the question. Anybody that has commerical accts. that's accepting comsumer SEC(standard entry codes) for ACH credits/debits?

Return to Top
#161818 - 02/24/04 06:16 PM Re: ACH requirements for business accts
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are. I called our state's (Georgia) ACH director to ask a question about REG E and was told that if the SEC is consumer, then we are to assume it is a consumer transaction. When I told her that it was a commercial account, she said we should file a notice of possible rules violation against the company who orginiated the transaction. We felt this wasn't practical as most orginators don't realize they are debit a commercial account.

Return to Top
#161819 - 02/25/04 02:36 AM Re: ACH requirements for business accts
works@home Offline
New Poster
works@home
In the Middle
Sorry for the late reply. I have my AAP accreditation for ACH and I've never heard of BIN numbers except for cards. The SEC (standard entry class code) is what differentiates the consumer from commercial entries. Some SECs are consumer only. Contact your regional ACH group for guidance. The complete list is on the back cover of the Rules book. MPX covers a lot of territory and they offer a variety of excellent seminars. Hopefully you are in their "territory". I would also advise reading the basic rules section. It isn't that long. Most of the book is made up of other information in addition to the Rules. Don't be intimidated by the size of the book. It's vital that you know what's correct as Rules Violations have real teeth now. Good luck

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett