Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1590037 - 08/10/11 02:46 PM Servicing Customer who Purchases Savings Bonds
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
With the issuance of paper savings bonds going away Jan. 1, 2012, it sounds like banks will no longer take savings bonds orders for their customers. My understanding is they will need their own Treasury Direct online account. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to help elderly customers or ones without internet access? It's not just the ordering they will have to do but since it's all electronic, they would need to log on to manage their account. Will you make the internet available to them at your bank for this purpose?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1590066 - 08/10/11 03:19 PM Re: Servicing Customer who Purchases Savings Bonds Compliance Lover
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Compliance Lover
With the issuance of paper savings bonds going away Jan. 1, 2012, it sounds like banks will no longer take savings bonds orders for their customers. My understanding is they will need their own Treasury Direct online account. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to help elderly customers or ones without internet access? It's not just the ordering they will have to do but since it's all electronic, they would need to log on to manage their account. Will you make the internet available to them at your bank for this purpose?

Absolutely not, too much of a risk.

This informative sheet and FAQ put out by the FRB will assist your staff as well as a great handout for customers. http://www.frbservices.org/files/communications/pdf/treasury/071111_savings_bonds.pdf

IMO, purchasing savings bonds is now out of banks' hands. Elderly customers should be directed to family members to assist them or their local public library with internet access. Also, the 1-800 number included in the above document may help them.

Return to Top
#1590077 - 08/10/11 03:31 PM Re: Servicing Customer who Purchases Savings Bonds Bob The Banker
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks for the handout. I hadn't seen that and had asked Treasury Direct for something like this (simple Q&A) and what the sent me I already had.

Return to Top
#1590091 - 08/10/11 03:48 PM Re: Servicing Customer who Purchases Savings Bonds Compliance Lover
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I take it from reading the document that although we will not sell Savings Bonds anymore, we are still responsible for redeeming those paper-based savings bonds that customers bring to us, for the forseeable future. Is that correct?

Return to Top
#1590099 - 08/10/11 03:58 PM Re: Servicing Customer who Purchases Savings Bonds Doug Hendrickson
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
Yes, that's correct.

Return to Top
#1619563 - 10/25/11 03:13 PM Re: Servicing Customer who Purchases Savings Bonds Compliance Lover
Tryin-2-Comply Offline
100 Club
Hills of TN
SHould we post lobby notices? I haven't been able to find anything about a notice.

Return to Top
#1619577 - 10/25/11 03:27 PM Re: Servicing Customer who Purchases Savings Bonds Tryin-2-Comply
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I found the color flyer and the one-page handout on this site helpful. We posted in lobby and left a bunch on the counter for customers.

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/instit/savbond/otc/otcendtoolkit.htm

I also modified one of the monthly statement messages and put it in letter form and sent to the two customers for whom we do regular monthly savings bond purchases.

Last edited by Doug Hendrickson; 10/25/11 03:28 PM.

Return to Top
#1619815 - 10/25/11 06:57 PM Re: Servicing Customer who Purchases Savings Bonds Doug Hendrickson
Tryin-2-Comply Offline
100 Club
Hills of TN
thank you so much for this!!!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett