Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1620637 - 10/26/11 10:20 PM eStatements Consumer & Business
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Our bank decided (after reviewing the risks & not my decision, but...) to allow business customers to view/acess their personal accounts through their business online banking session. One of the issues that is now popping up is that our core processor doesn't support electronic sign-up/consent for estatements for our business online banking solution, it is a manual process done by the bank. The problem now is that the customer can't show "demonstratable consent" (not an issue for the business accounts, but an issue for the personal accounts) under the business online banking session to sign up. So, my only thought of a solution is to have the customer sign into our consumer online banking (even if they never use it again after this) and sign up/consent to receive estatements for their personal accounts. Then the bank would enroll their business accounts. After that the customer can log into business online banking and they can view their estatement there. We use a large core processor and I know that there must be other banks out there that use them and have run into this. Does anyone else have any thoughts on how else to handle this?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1620648 - 10/26/11 10:50 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business ItNeverEnds CRCM
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Do they have to get estatements in order to use your online banking?
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1620652 - 10/26/11 11:02 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business Kathleen O. Blanchard
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
No, they don't have to get estatements.

Return to Top
#1620656 - 10/26/11 11:17 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business ItNeverEnds CRCM

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Is there a way to prevent them from signing up for estatements for personal accounts while signed on via the business side or to set their status for person to view only, they can't actually transact...to transact, make changes, etc. they would have to signon via the consumer side?

Return to Top
#1620658 - 10/26/11 11:26 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business Kathleen O. Blanchard
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Yes, actually, they can't sign up for any estatements through their business online banking, that's a manual bank process they have to request. So, I think I'm covered if our process is that when a business customer requests estatements we only enroll them for business accounts and if they want their personal accounts on estatement we make them sign in through our personal online banking product and make them enroll themselves which forces them to consent through a PDF. Although, this is not ideal because our business customers may not use our consumer product at all, but we're going to have to "force" them to at least use it for the enrollment process. After they enroll on the consumer side they can actually view their personal estatements in the consumer product or the business product. I don't know if I've explained it very well. Does that make sense? From a compliance standpoint we should be covered as far as esign, right?

Return to Top
#1620659 - 10/26/11 11:32 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business ItNeverEnds CRCM

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
To me, it sounds like it should work. They will just have to understand that the initial signup for estatements for consumer products must be done through consumer side of ebanking so that proper disclosures/consent are obtained. I would tell them that.

Return to Top
#1620660 - 10/26/11 11:37 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business Kathleen O. Blanchard
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Thanks Kathleen. I really appreciate your input.

Return to Top
#1620684 - 10/27/11 11:20 AM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business ItNeverEnds CRCM
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
How does the customer's act of giving consent demonstrate his/her capability to open and read a test document comparable to a live e-statement?

Return to Top
#1620928 - 10/27/11 03:41 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business Richard Insley
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
When they go through the process on the consumer online banking side, they are "forced" to open a PDF document with the terms/conditions and agree/consent before the enrollment process is complete. Our estatements are in a PDF format, so if they can open and agree through the PDF, then they are able to view an estatement.

Return to Top
#1621002 - 10/27/11 04:46 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business ItNeverEnds CRCM
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Sounds like you have covered all the points!

Return to Top
#1621009 - 10/27/11 04:49 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business Richard Insley
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Great, thank you Richard and Kathleen!

Return to Top
#1621860 - 10/28/11 09:37 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business ItNeverEnds CRCM
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
I have a question about estatement disclosures. I have an account type that the customer must agree at inception to receive estatements for, when they available. We are getting ready to "turn on" these estatements. I know there are several required elements to estatement disclosures, including how to withdraw from estatements. My question is, we do not want our customers to be able to withdraw consent for estatements for this specific account type. In the disclosure, can we state that for those accounts that we require estatements for, consent cannot be withdrawn?

Return to Top
#1621875 - 10/28/11 10:33 PM Re: eStatements Consumer & Business leo_bsayer
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
ESIGN doesn't let you prohibit withdrawal of consent but it allows you to terminate the account or reprice it as a consequence of a customer opt-out.

If you didn't have e-delivery up and running when you opened the accounts, how did you handle demonstrable consent?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z