Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options Tools
#1624274 - 11/03/11 08:06 PM Manually balancing a teller drawer
Banker Kathy Offline
Does anyone have a form for manually balancing a teller drawer? If we lose computers and every thing is taken in or out over the couter. How does the teller balance their drawer to make sure their cash is correct?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1624473 - 11/04/11 02:14 PM Re: Manually balancing a teller drawer Banker Kathy
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
I have posted a response to you earlier, but then I removed it simply because my way of doing it was the old, old way we use to balance before the days of tellers machines. We always had the original that went with the work and then we kept the copy for us to use to run a machine tape on to balance.

Today everything is single copy and goes through with the work so you are relying on the the computers to be up, going and at the end of the day giving you a total.

My question to you is are you speaking only of if the tellers go down or the whole bank loses its computer system?

Return to Top
#1624873 - 11/04/11 09:51 PM Re: Manually balancing a teller drawer Happy Drugs
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I'd just do a simple column of Cash ins and cash outs....
However, if you've lost power to the point that you're computers are completely down, you likely won't be open.
If you've lost connectivity to your operating system, I would hope your system would have an offline transaction mode.

Return to Top
#1624892 - 11/05/11 12:05 AM Re: Manually balancing a teller drawer RBanker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Don't you have a disaster plan somewhere that outlines how you do this? We have one for every department in the bank and sadly, have had to use them when Mother Nature took out computers, etc.

Return to Top
#1625153 - 11/07/11 06:07 PM Re: Manually balancing a teller drawer Happy Drugs
Banker Kathy Offline
I am only referring to a paricular branch losing power and has to record everything manually. we do have a disaster recovery if the entire bank loses the computer systems.

Return to Top
#1625431 - 11/08/11 12:51 AM Re: Manually balancing a teller drawer Banker Kathy
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
We have a simple Word doc that has three columns: one listing demonination, one for loose money and one for strapped/rolled. This we have printed out and behind the teller line. We also have a spreadsheet that we use for suprise counts.

Return to Top
#1639019 - 12/14/11 07:43 PM Re: Manually balancing a teller drawer Bacon Boy
Timberlun Ginter Offline
New Poster
We have them complete a balance sheet as soon as the system goes down, this is the same sheet we use for drawer audits much like an inventory sheet. While the system is down, we provide handwritten receipts that have carbon copies so we can keep a copy. At the end of the day they total their cash in and cash out. Complete another balance sheet then take their begining total, subtract cash out, add cash in and viola!! Their end of day balance sheet should match.

Return to Top