Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#162613 - 02/23/04 04:54 PM Imaging Checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a third party processor we accept mortgage payments. Can someone provide the regulation that requires organizations to scan and image checks prior sending them to a depository bank for deposit?

I know this is a requirement but I can't find the actual regulation.

Please help.
Thank you

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#162614 - 02/24/04 12:52 AM Re: Imaging Checks
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
I am not so sure it is in a regulation but I cannot imagine a bank not filming checks.

Return to Top
#162615 - 02/24/04 03:13 PM Re: Imaging Checks
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I doubt that there is a regulation covering this, but there is probably a requirement in the insurance coverage area, e.g. re-construction of the "transit" that is lost or stolen. Look on the other side - what would you do if the checks were lost or stolen in transit? Yes, you can go back to the payer, but going to film, etc. is a much more efficient process.

Return to Top
#162616 - 02/24/04 10:13 PM Re: Imaging Checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should look at the FFIEC IT guidelines for contingency planning. This is what the examiners use when they cite banks for this weakness.

Return to Top
#162617 - 02/25/04 11:02 AM Re: Imaging Checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the responses and I did check the FFIEC handbook and was very surprised when I didn't see a requirement. I'm a little surprised that one of my co-workers is asking me this, even if not a requirement it is a best practice.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett