Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1627604 - 11/10/11 09:32 PM Is it ok for a customer to know they are Exempt?
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Is it ok for a customer to know that they are exempt from CTR filings?

If I wanted to request information to determine if a customer's activities might meet the no more than 50% of gross revenues per year from ineligible business rule, can I indicate that it is to determine if they may qualify for exemption?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1627610 - 11/10/11 09:37 PM Re: Is it ok for a customer to know they are Exempt? Likes to Comply
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
It's not a problem...as you note, customer cooperation is oftentimes necessary. If you've filed CTR's on them in the past and simply stop, they will probably notice it anyway. wink

Return to Top
#1627611 - 11/10/11 09:37 PM Re: Is it ok for a customer to know they are Exempt? Likes to Comply
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
There is nothing in the BSA regulations to prevent you from telling the customer why you are asking for the information.

As a practical matter, I cannot imagine how you'd get the information from most customers without explaining your interest, unless the customer happened to borrow from your bank and provided such detail (again, really doubtful) in financial statements supporting the loan.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1627619 - 11/10/11 09:45 PM Re: Is it ok for a customer to know they are Exempt? John Burnett
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Thanks for the help!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z