Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1629041 - 11/16/11 03:34 PM OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at
Madawaska Offline
100 Club
VA
We have the OCC on-site performing an examination of an affliate company.

They have drilled down and tested our two OFAC filtering systems to "glued names". The names tested did result in failures for various name variations and aka's on the SDN list as it should have, just not on the glued names.

Please let me know if your bank is filtering for glued names. Ex: MarySmith and/or SmithMary

Also, is this something fairly new in the filtering systems?

I need to get a feel for how much glued names are being used in banks and why the OCC is now looking for it.

Thanks! I appreciate any and all replies to my inquiry.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1629069 - 11/16/11 03:53 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at Madawaska
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
The OCC is spending more time looking at the implementation, tuning and effectiveness of various compliance and AML monitoring systems. They are also looking more deeply into the models and algorithms used in banks' 'home-grown' systems.

As a result, OFAC and sanctions monitoring programs are being put through a more rigorous exam process.

I think that banks, or really any company using sanctions screening software should consider independent testing/evaluation of their sanctions software before a regulator does it for them.

Remember that part of OFAC's penalty scheme these days is to take into account the overall program, and systems in place. It wouldn't be a big leap for them to consider 1) that an institution's screening is deficient, and 2) that the institution never tested it effectiveness in the first place.

Return to Top
#1629073 - 11/16/11 03:55 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at Madawaska
BC78a Offline
Gold Star
BC78a
New York
In 3 banks - I never tested for glued names

Return to Top
#1629443 - 11/16/11 10:00 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at BC78a
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
FDIC examiners were also very interested in glued names, last name first, etc

Return to Top
#1630466 - 11/18/11 07:22 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at Madawaska
PeeWee Offline
Gold Star
For the "glued" names to be an issue, am I correct in saying that the names would have to go through the OFAC screening process "glued"?

One of our OFAC processes is to screen all customers nightly through a software that receives an extract from our core processing system. Since the first and last names come from two different fields in the core system, I don't think I would have an issue with "glued" names.

Any thoughts or further explanation (if I'm not understanding this concept) would be appreciated as we'll be going through our first OCC exam soon.

Return to Top
#1630483 - 11/18/11 07:34 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at PeeWee
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
In practice, you would see glued names on transactions, like a wire transfer, or IAT, instead of customer records.

Return to Top
#1630554 - 11/18/11 08:37 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at Hrothgar Geiger
PeeWee Offline
Gold Star
Many thanks - that helps me understand the concept much better.

Return to Top
#1630972 - 11/21/11 06:34 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at PeeWee
Getting_Grayer Offline
100 Club
USA
I apologize for not knowing this, but what is a "glued name"?

Return to Top
#1630983 - 11/21/11 06:42 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at Getting_Grayer
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
If I understand it correctly, it's when the first and last names are run together. So in the first post the examle is Mary Smith. Glued together it would be MarySmith. If your system runs last name first, it would be SmithMary instead of Smith Mary.

Where I think it gets more interesting is when it's intials - ie, J D Eaks becomes JDEAKS. That seems to throw a lot of the sytems.

Return to Top
#1630984 - 11/21/11 06:43 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at Madawaska
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
Ex: MarySmith and/or SmithMary

Apparently, it means they stick the first name & surname together, no space. (Never heard of it before either wink )

Return to Top
#1630990 - 11/21/11 06:46 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at Elwood P. Dowd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I was under the impression it was First and Middle names:

Mary lou

Marrylou

CAMS

Return to Top
#1630999 - 11/21/11 06:52 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at edAudit
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Chuckle for the day: Googled the term and this thread was the first hit. grin It's possible that there is no uniform definition.

Return to Top
#1631001 - 11/21/11 06:54 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at Elwood P. Dowd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
Chuckle for the day: Googled the term and this thread was the first hit. grin It's possible that there is no uniform definition.

That would make us the experts smile

CAMS

Return to Top
#1631042 - 11/21/11 08:00 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at edAudit
HDavidson Offline
where the green grass shows
experts= X is the algabraic equivalent of the unknown and a "spert" is nothing more than a drip under pressure

Return to Top
#1631189 - 11/22/11 12:47 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at HDavidson
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
When I saw this thread, I did my own testing, then contacted our third party WatchDog, who did their own testing of glued names.
And they were able to confrim they do support glued names. For their testing, they took a four part name and stuck the first to second, second to third, third to fourth and verified they got the same "hit" every time.

Return to Top
#1631222 - 11/22/11 01:56 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at NotDoneYet
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It really should not make much of a difference on OFAC systems that use phonetic algorythyms.

Return to Top
#1631261 - 11/22/11 02:51 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at NotDoneYet
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: jcaldwell
When I saw this thread, I did my own testing, then contacted our third party WatchDog, who did their own testing of glued names.
And they were able to confrim they do support glued names. For their testing, they took a four part name and stuck the first to second, second to third, third to fourth and verified they got the same "hit" every time.

That's good to know!

Return to Top
#1631735 - 11/22/11 11:28 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at E.E.G.B
nnayak Offline
New Poster
nnayak
NJ
My OFAC filter does Glue names(MaryJane), Spaced Names (M a r y j a n e), sounds like (marijame), spelled like (Mary Jan3), etc. Does yours do these?

Return to Top
#1636593 - 12/07/11 08:03 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at nnayak
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I noticed today that the SDN list search from OFAC's site doesn't recognize glued names.

Return to Top
#1636608 - 12/07/11 08:03 PM Re: OFAC filters - glued names - OCC looking at E.E.G.B
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't believe that they use an algorithmic matching process.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z