Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1631400 - 11/22/11 05:05 PM Foreign nationals/no US gov't number??
Trees Offline
Power Poster
John Europe is moving here with his company. He is obtaining proper US issued number, which we will use on the account level and CIP level.

His wife is coming here as well and will never work. We are being told, that in view of this fact, she does not have to obtain and will never have a US government issued number of any kind.

Is this the case?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1631415 - 11/22/11 05:16 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? Trees
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If you are referring to any form of taxpayer ID number, it is true that she won't have to obtain one unless she and John file a joint tax return.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1631429 - 11/22/11 05:25 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? John Burnett
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
She should have a visa issued in her name, whether she works or not will determine which type.

"who" is telling you she will have no government issued anything?

Return to Top
#1631450 - 11/22/11 05:43 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? HappyGilmore
BC78a Offline
Gold Star
BC78a
New York
Wife can get (an should get) an ITIN - government issued ID for non-working non-US Residents

Return to Top
#1631458 - 11/22/11 05:48 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? BC78a
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Wife can get (an should get) an ITIN - government issued ID for non-working non-US Residents

Why? An ITIN is not "government issued ID"?

Return to Top
#1631468 - 11/22/11 06:12 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? rlcarey
Purex Offline
100 Club
South
If a person has an ITIN issued by the IRS does this mean they cannot work in the US, and is just for joint tax return filing? Just wondering.

Return to Top
#1631469 - 11/22/11 06:15 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? rlcarey
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Going over the CIP requirements, and the purpose of CIP, we ensure we obtain a government issued form of ID, such as passports. Again, this is for CIP.

For interest bearing accounts, etc. we insist on some form of SSN or we do back-up withholding.

If you are in the same situation as we are, with the occasional non-US persons opening accounts, Are you insisting on the ITINS or, based on the purpose of CIP, just obtaining and recording the passport numbers and not insisting on a US number.

Return to Top
#1631607 - 11/22/11 08:36 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? Trees
BC78a Offline
Gold Star
BC78a
New York
Rick - the IRS issues an ITIN.

Purex - My understanding is an ITIN is issued to non-Americans who have US source income but no need for a TIN.

Last edited by BC78a; 11/22/11 08:42 PM.

Return to Top
#1631626 - 11/22/11 08:55 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? BC78a
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Actually it is Randy - my point was that a number issued by the IRS is not identification.

Return to Top
#1631803 - 11/23/11 01:59 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? rlcarey
BC78a Offline
Gold Star
BC78a
New York
Sorry Randy

Return to Top
#1631844 - 11/23/11 02:44 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? BC78a
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Trees, you asked the same question (and got some answers) a couple of weeks ago:

Originally Posted By: Trees
We have some couples moving to the area for work. All legit. Worker has US ITIN or similar. Some spouses will not be working. They do not have a US number.....or should they have one? For example, joint ownership on a savings account.

How are you handling such cases for deposit accounts?

We are getting passports, etc. for CIP. Its the TIN issue that we are struggling with as regards the non-working foreign nationals that have moved here.

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbth...653#Post1619653

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1633101 - 11/29/11 06:27 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? Trees
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Originally Posted By: Trees
Going over the CIP requirements, and the purpose of CIP, we ensure we obtain a government issued form of ID, such as passports. Again, this is for CIP.

For interest bearing accounts, etc. we insist on some form of SSN or we do back-up withholding.

If you are in the same situation as we are, with the occasional non-US persons opening accounts, Are you insisting on the ITINS or, based on the purpose of CIP, just obtaining and recording the passport numbers and not insisting on a US number.

I think you asked this before like another poster mentioned. However, we do not open any accounts for anyone unless they have a TIN, EIN, or ITIN. Doesn't matter if they have proper ID, we don't do it unless we have one of those numbers.

Return to Top
#1633146 - 11/29/11 07:25 PM Re: Foreign nationals/no US gov't number?? J2C
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
Assuming that you have satisfied your bank's CIP requirements insofar as the type of ID required, there is no problem in opening a joint interest-bearing account for the 2 people, 1 of whom has a TIN and the other does not, as long as the person with the TIN is the first name on the account for 1099-INT purposes. While banks can have their own policies about not opening accounts for persons without a TIN as jenny's bank has, there is no prohibition against it. You can certainly satisfy CIP with getting the passport number as the identifying number.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z