Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#480376 - 01/09/06 09:38 PM Nursing Mothers who return to work
cheese Offline
When female employees return from FMLA after childbirth, what kind of rights are they entitled to as far as break times for nursing reasons? We have an employee who needs a long break in the morning and one in the afternoon. They are each about a 30 minute break. Could this be considered an intermittent continuation of her FMLA? Her supervisor is complaining about it and I'm trying to convey to him that we need to be compassionate, etc. But if there are rights, FMLA possibilities, etc., that would make it easier.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#480377 - 01/09/06 09:56 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Sorry if this is TMI, but I took one 20 min break at 10am and then one 20 minute break again at 2pm when I was nursing.

Many states now have laws that require employers to give nursing mothers a break time. In Illinois, where I am, a law (820 ILCS 260/1 et seq. - Nursing Mothers in the Workplace Act) requires companies to provide employees with reasonable, unpaid, break times and to try to find a private place for expressing the milk. The law does say, "An employer is not required to provide break time under this Section if to do so would unduly disrupt the employer's operations." But if my employer told me that I could not feed my child, I'd quit.

My bank was fantastic, and accommodating in everyway for every nursing mother we've had.

Return to Top
#480378 - 01/09/06 09:57 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
One more thing - can you tell I am passionate about this- here is a link with information for other states:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/LawBills.html

Return to Top
#480379 - 01/09/06 10:40 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Half an hour seems long, my sessions were 15 to 20 minutes, once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. My state (South Dakota) has no laws requiring employers to allow it, but I think they would be crazy not too! I'm with Mom of Princess Nataliebear, I would have quit too!

Return to Top
#480380 - 01/10/06 01:45 AM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I'm a "hard case," but not even I would want to discuss the appropritate time period that it should take to express milk with a female employee. Tell him to either get over it or to please review his intended remarks with you before he relates them to her, you are not going to do it for him.

I don't think compassion is a factor, but common sense should weigh in pretty heavily. Is it possible that he just doesn't understand?

Return to Top
#480381 - 01/10/06 07:05 AM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Or he is a jerk? Did I say that?

She could be having difficulty, etc. - I don't see half an hour as unreasonable.

When I was much younger I would have replied something like "Okay, how about if all the women let the babies starve? Would that help the schedule?" But I am not as feisty now, if those who know me can believe that!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#480382 - 01/10/06 08:23 AM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Oh lordy, does that bring back memories for me. Back in the dark ages, employers didn't have to provide those breaks, but my boss was a woman who strongly believed in motherhood and the benefits of nursing.

The only problem was that the only "private" place for this (excuse the TMI...) was a stall in the ladies room.

Yeeccchhh!

Depending on the mother's ability to produce milk and/or her skill at using the pump (is it one of those manual pumps????), 30 minutes does not seem unreasonable.

BTW - I second Kaybee's first comment!

Return to Top
#480383 - 01/10/06 01:37 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
cheese Offline
Thank you, everyone, and I agree with you. It's part of life. I have advised the supervisor against any conversations with the nursing employee until I get more info. I was hoping that our state, Virginia, had a law that required employers to allow a time and place for nursing mothers. So far, I haven't found anything. Why couldn't you use FMLA for that? Couldn't you say that it is "medically necessary"??

Return to Top
#480384 - 01/10/06 03:44 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Cheese,

This is what I found for your state:
Va. Code 2.2-1147.1 (2002) guarantees a woman the right to breast-feed her child on any property owned, leased or controlled by the state. The bill also stipulates that childbirth and related medical conditions specified in the Virginia Human Rights Act include activities of lactation, including breast-feeding and expression of milk by a mother for her child. (H.B. 1264)

HJ 145 (2002) Encourages employers to recognize the benefits of breastfeeding and to provide unpaid break time and appropriate space for employees to breast-feed or express milk.

Return to Top
#480385 - 01/10/06 04:41 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
cheese Offline
Thank you so much for the info!!!

Return to Top
#480386 - 01/11/06 05:21 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Just wanted to chime in on the amount of time spent expressing. If she has a single pump I can also see this being a 30 minute project or longer. Also remember it isn't just the pumping time, you also have to take into account set up and clean up time. The pump may need to be washed, cords unhooked and put away.

Return to Top
#480387 - 01/11/06 05:41 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Good point, I never thought of the single pumps, manual pumps, etc. Then 30 minutes is definitely not too long. My bad!

Return to Top
#480388 - 01/11/06 06:08 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
Cathy P Offline
Gold Star
Cathy P
NE
As a current nursing mother, I agree with what everyone has said here. Luckily my employer has no issue with me pumping during business hours. With my first pregnancy, the only place to pump was in the restroom, however, now with our new building we have a much better spot in our locker room.

If the woman was using a single pump or expressing manually, it would certainly take 30 minutes. Even a pump that can express both breasts at the same time (I have this type) takes at least 20 minutes from set-up to clean-up.

We also currently have a part-time teller who is taking a morning break to pump.

Return to Top
#480389 - 01/12/06 02:16 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

Just wanted to chime in on the amount of time spent expressing. If she has a single pump I can also see this being a 30 minute project or longer. Also remember it isn't just the pumping time, you also have to take into account set up and clean up time. The pump may need to be washed, cords unhooked and put away.

Totally agree - the single pump or manual pumps would take at least 30 minutes. When I had my first, I only had a manual pump and had to do it in the ladies room. (YUK). Second time around, an electric pump session for me was about 20 minutes max away from my office - that included time to wash parts, put away, use the ladies room, etc.

In our state, employers (I'm sure there is a minimum # of employee requirement) must provide a private place as well as the time.

Last employer had a conference room that you had to "sign up for." Made it difficult because I had an erratic schedule with meetings. Also, this was 1 room for about 500 people.

This employer (awesome, BTW), not only has a designated room with 5 private stalls, we have lockers and a fridge. Never once in my 11 months of pumping at work did I have to wait.

Morale issue - not only was I more productive (and one could argue that my child was healthier with breast milk - but opening that can of worms is not my intention here), I felt a sense of loyalty to my employer who really went above and beyond helping me readjust to being back to work after having a difficult pregnancy.

Return to Top
#480390 - 01/15/06 07:50 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
Jennifer R Offline
New Poster
Missouri
Depending on how long of a lunch break your employee has you might suggest taking 30 minutes from their lunch break and giving them that time to add to their breaks. We provide 2 15 min breaks and an hour lunch to most of our employees and this seems to work best for scheduling purposes. My employees have to meet a certain level of availability and this fixed that problem with our operations department

Return to Top
#480391 - 01/23/06 09:34 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
-A- Offline
Gold Star
-A-
the good ole south

Return to Top
#480392 - 02/02/06 06:57 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
opsgal2 Offline
Just wanted to add that some state laws specifically state that the employer must provide a "private" place that is NOT a restroom stall. Of course, my employer interpreted this to mean that the server room was the perfect place since it had a locked door. It's cold enough in there when you're fully clothed!

Return to Top
#480393 - 02/02/06 08:54 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
I wish the thought processes had been this progressive when I was a nursing mom. That was long enough ago that I don't think we even mentioned "nursing" after walking through the front door of the building. I have a mom in our department who just returned to work this week and is nursing. We had previously accommodated the need in a small, yet comfortable area in our building, with a lock on the door. When she indicated that she would be expressing at least twice/day, it never crossed my mind to even ask "how long will this take".

Return to Top
#1632599 - 11/28/11 04:51 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work upstateNY
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
I know there were some law changes regarding this in 2010, so I'm bringing it up again.

I'm due at the end of May 2012 and plan to pump when I return to work. I'm a salary employee so I don't punch a clock. Would I take the breaks I need and take a shortened lunch? My employer does have to provide a private place to pump other than the restroom, correct?

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Return to Top
#1632945 - 11/29/11 03:27 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work *W*W*
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
I had to add to this. My daughter works in publishing in NYC. When it came close to her due date, her company hired a taxi to sit outside their building all day in case she went into labor. (In the Soho area, taxis don't run except rush hour.)Plus, her good friend, who worked in another dept, was giving the role of going with her to the hospital. Then when she went back to work, they had a room with magazines for mothers,a fridge plus access to a nurse if she had any questions. Plus, they had back-up day care located in the bottom of the Rockefeller Center she could use for 20 days a year and only pay $10. Wow! Now that was a company who recognized her value as an employee and a new mother and was able to put all the pieces together. By the way, when this all happened, she had only worked there 6 months.

Return to Top
#1633076 - 11/29/11 06:13 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work NotDoneYet
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
Under FLSA, Employers are required to provide “reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for 1 year after the child’s birth each time such employee has need to express the milk.” Employers are also required to provide “a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and the public, which may be used by an employee to express breast milk.”

The FLSA requirement of break time for nursing mothers to express breast milk does not preempt State laws that provide greater protections to employees (for example, providing compensated break time, providing break time for exempt employees, or providing break time beyond 1 year after the child’s birth).

You can find more information here http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs73.htm

Return to Top
#1633081 - 11/29/11 06:16 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work NotDoneYet
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
That's awesome, jcaldwell. Nice to see a company go above and beyond. I read this fact sheet and it made me wonder if I was covered being that my employer has less than 50 employees and I'm a salary employee, but after re-reading a couple of times I think my employer has to provide a private place other than a restroom and can't prohibit me from taking the breaks I need. I think my employer would be accomodating, but want to be prepared before I discuss this with HR. Department of Labor-Nursing Mothers Fact Sheet

Return to Top
#1633103 - 11/29/11 06:30 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work *W*W*
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
*W*W*, you should also check out your state laws. The FLSA is just the basic outline of what the employer has to do and each state law takes it from there.

For example, Wisconsin does not have a specific nursing mother statute, but it does have one that requires all breaks under 30 minutes to be paid breaks - nursing mother breaks usually fall within that.

Return to Top
#1633104 - 11/29/11 06:31 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work *W*W*
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
The nursing mother in my office comes upstairs to our little bathroom to pump. I don't think we have any other place in the building for her to do this. Didn't realize that we are required to provide her with one.

Return to Top
#1633172 - 11/29/11 07:44 PM Re: Nursing Mothers who return to work Skittles
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
My only option that I'm aware of is a small unused office, which is fine with me.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry