Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Reply Thread Options
#1633713 - 11/30/11 06:17 PM Two Weeks Notice Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Finally got fed up with being underappreciated, underpaid and overworked so I'm going to quit. I've never done this before so I need to ask this.
Do I need to submit my resignation letter to HR separately in addition to submitting it to my boss?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1633725 - 11/30/11 06:40 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question Anonymous
West Coast Comp Offline
Gold Star
West Coast Comp
Lost in the rain.
Some may see it differently, but no I never have and don't think it’s necessary, unless there is something specific about it in the employee handbook. I suppose I might if I really didn't trust my boss for some reason and I thought there could be an issue with paying out of vacation time or something like that. Otherwise written notice to your boss should be sufficient (most respectful to go and speak with that person while giving the written notice).

Just my opinion. I would like to know if there are other thoughts on this.

#1633784 - 11/30/11 07:15 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question West Coast Comp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your help.

#1633788 - 11/30/11 07:18 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question West Coast Comp
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: West Coast Comp
Some may see it differently, but no I never have and don't think it’s necessary, unless there is something specific about it in the employee handbook. I suppose I might if I really didn't trust my boss for some reason and I thought there could be an issue with paying out of vacation time or something like that. Otherwise written notice to your boss should be sufficient (most respectful to go and speak with that person while giving the written notice).

Just my opinion. I would like to know if there are other thoughts on this.

That is pretty standard. The boss should share that info with HR. Usually the employee only lets HR know directly if there are problems.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

#1634032 - 12/01/11 01:56 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question Kathleen O. Blanchard
mep Offline
Bristol, PA
It sounds like you are having issues with your job all around and may continue to have issues once you hand in your resignation. I would recommend making sure that you keep a copy of your resignation. Once you have spoken to your boss and handed in your resignation I would then document the date, time and anything that was said at that time and going forward. As poster West Coast Comp commented "about issues with paying out of vacation time or something like that" may happen and you have your written records from the time it happened and you are not trying to remember. I’ve seen once where there was a discrepancy in the timing of someone’s resignation and it affected their severance pay and unemployment benefits.
Sorry so lengthy – Good luck both now and in your new career venture

#1634099 - 12/01/11 03:10 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question mep
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Did they advance you two weeks pay and have you leave the day you resigned?

#1634189 - 12/01/11 04:49 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question Pale Rider
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Anon - be prepared for them to have you leave the day you resign and not pay you for your 2 weeks notice. Understand when your medical benefits are paid up through and/or when they will end after you leave. I gave a 2 week notice at another bank in the past, they weren't happy that I was leaving and maybe to proove a point, let me go that day without paying me through the 2 weeks. That certainly solidified the fact that I didn't want to work there, but just be prepared.

#1634205 - 12/01/11 05:02 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question ItNeverEnds CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
It's not always about proving a point. When I get a a notice from an employee, I thank them, but then ask them to leave right away, and pay them for the full day. For one employee, it was because I already had issues about keeping them on task, as well as their office conduct (voicing displeasure, speaking out of turn) and did not need then polluting the remaining staff during thier two weeks. Very seldom is anyone as productive and helpful in their notice period than they were prior to giving thier notice... why pay for work youare often not getting?

Other times, it is a security issue... I do not need to give you any more access to customers in order for you to try to influence or move them to your next employer. I don't need to give you anymore access to bank records, access to programs, forms, bank created items (if you have not already made copies of for yourself), to give you the chance to do so and take with you to you next employer. Also, if you are not going to be here in a month, you do not need to be privy to most things either anymore that you will no longer have a need to be involved with.

And I also do not pay you for the time you are not here (except of course accrued owed vacation time). I don't believe in parting gifts when you make the choice to move on, except my honest thanks and appreciation of the work you did while here, and the sincere wish that your next opportunity takes you further in reaching your professional or life goals.

#1634214 - 12/01/11 05:11 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question #Just Jay
summer girl Offline
North Carolina
I think that if you give a 2 week notice and you are not allowed to work it out, that you should be paid that time. What's the point of the 2 week notice if you are going to be let go right then? Giving the notice is to help the employeer try and replace you or give you time to train someone else.

#1634230 - 12/01/11 05:25 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question summer girl
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
It also depends some on the position you have with your current employer. I recently changed banks. I was prepared to leave if they asked and my new employer was willing to let me start early if that happened also.
I was not asked to leave and also had to deal with 2 exams my last 2 weeks (probably 1 reason they kept me). I however did not appreciate that the CEO(my boss) asked me not the let the examiners know I was leaving, so in turn did not send a notice to my fellow employees that I was leaving either.
I did make note of this in my exit review.
Also be aware of your 401K/retirement if you have one. When are you fully vested and if the bank matches when is this done.

Sorry so long, I just know with everything that happened it confirmed that I made the right decision on my job change.
Good Luck to you in your new endeavor also!

#1634232 - 12/01/11 05:27 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question #Just Jay
mep Offline
Bristol, PA
I completely understand your point of view from the other side of things. But the point the rest of us are making, I think, is for this person who has never done this before is to watch for the pitfalls that could happen.
If you look at most employee handbooks it is required, by the employer, to give two weeks notice, at least.
Not everyone leaves on negative terms. Some leave on positive terms in the hope to return.
PS Just Jay Do you have an HR Dept and an Employee Handbook? What do they say about you sending an employee home the day they give their two week notice and only paying them till that day if your handbook says something else?

#1634236 - 12/01/11 05:32 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question mep
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: mep
PS Just Jay Do you have an HR Dept and an Employee Handbook? What do they say about you sending an employee home the day they give their two week notice and only paying them till that day if your handbook says something else?

Of course we do! And I have always followed bank policy, with HR's blessings. smile

#1634315 - 12/01/11 06:53 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question #Just Jay
mep Offline
Bristol, PA
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
And I also do not pay you for the time you are not here (except of course accrued owed vacation time). I don't believe in parting gifts when you make the choice to move on, except my honest thanks and appreciation of the work you did while here, and the sincere wish that your next opportunity takes you further in reaching your professional or life goals.

"Of course we do! And I have always followed bank policy, with HR's blessings." Jusy Jay

I'm glad to hear that.

It amazes me that you think it is a parting gift to be paid when someone gives you 2 weeks notice and YOU decide to let them go that day and only pay them till that day.

Remember it is a courtesy to the employer when an employee gives any type of notice other than Today is my last day.

Hi Anonymous,
Are you still reading these posts? I hope through all them you have gotten some insight on what to do. As one poster said, check your handbook.
Good Luck
MEP

#1634327 - 12/01/11 07:08 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question mep
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
And one other thing to think about... as those two weeks wind down, I have noticed that the leaving employee generally runs out of work to do... so what ARE they doing on the institution's dime??

Innerpartysystem

#1634351 - 12/01/11 07:27 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question manimal
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I think a lot this depends on the position and if you're leaving on a good or bad terms. However, you should always give two weeks notice. If your bank decides they don't need/want it, then you can move on earlier.

#1634370 - 12/01/11 07:41 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question ACBbank
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
If 2 weeks notice is given and worked, you should be paid for it. If 2 weeks notice is given and the bank says we'd like you to leave today, you get paid thru today. If 2 weeks notice is given and you're asked to work only 1 week, 1 week is paid. There is no right to be paid for time that you don't work, even if the proper notice is given.

The normal standard, not just in banking but everywhere, is 2 weeks notice. I have seen some businesses that require 4 weeks, and also interviewed at one company that said if i were to be hired and leave within 3 years of the hire date, I would owe them money for what they invested training me (this was in the mid-80s, it was $7k if leaving in 12 months, $13K if 12-24 months, and $22k if 25-36 months). I politely declined the offer.

Anyway, back to topic, you get paid what you work. Also, if you are in the bonus pool and leave before bonuses are paid, you get no bonus.

#1634384 - 12/01/11 07:57 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question #Just Jay
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
It's not always about proving a point. When I get a a notice from an employee, I thank them, but then ask them to leave right away, and pay them for the full day. For one employee, it was because I already had issues about keeping them on task, as well as their office conduct (voicing displeasure, speaking out of turn) and did not need then polluting the remaining staff during thier two weeks. Very seldom is anyone as productive and helpful in their notice period than they were prior to giving thier notice... why pay for work youare often not getting?

Other times, it is a security issue... I do not need to give you any more access to customers in order for you to try to influence or move them to your next employer. I don't need to give you anymore access to bank records, access to programs, forms, bank created items (if you have not already made copies of for yourself), to give you the chance to do so and take with you to you next employer. Also, if you are not going to be here in a month, you do not need to be privy to most things either anymore that you will no longer have a need to be involved with.

Poor ethics.

#1634395 - 12/01/11 08:10 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question Bob The Banker
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
true, no bonus...but that leaves a bigger pot for the rest of us poor schmuks that have to pick up the work...

#1634402 - 12/01/11 08:21 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question Pale Rider
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Bob, I disagree. It's not poor ethics. It's sop in many businesses for just the reasons JJ outlined. While he may not have said it as nicely as you might like, he was factual.

The original poster is giving notice because he doesn't want to work there anymore. A disgruntled employee hanging around for two weeks on the company dime is most likely to do more harm than good. Why would you want to pay for that?

#1634403 - 12/01/11 08:22 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question Bob The Banker
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
What exactly is unethical there? Not allowing a poorer performing employee staying on? Encouraging productivity? Protecting the bank's customer relationships? Protecting the non-financial and bank developed assets?

Once you have made a choice to move on that is fine, and a notice is customary and expected. I have given 2 to 4 week notices, and each time fully expecting to fulfill my time given, but also practicle enough to realize there are certain and good reasons that while appreciated, they will ask me to leave right away. I have never felt entitled to be paid for time I am not in their employ.

When that happens, no one should expect that they are entitled to their (now previous) employer to also give them a paid time off at the employer's expense, while you take the time off an wait for your next gig to start.

#1634406 - 12/01/11 08:28 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question #Just Jay
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
In every bank that I have ever worked, the head of the department decided whether the person should stay or go on the day of delivery of the two week notice. If they decided that they should go - we paid them for the two weeks and sent them on their way.

If I worked at a bank that followed your practice, I would just quit showing up for work one day and let you figure out how to pick up the pieces.

#1634424 - 12/01/11 08:56 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question rlcarey
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Everywhere I worked if you gave your notice and the bank decided it was best to have you leave right away, you were paid for the period of the notice.

In all my years in the industry, as much as I wished I would be asked to leave early I never was and usually ended up working late every day making sure the bank was in good shape before I left. They got their moneys worth.

When anyone on my staff was leaving, if we had them stay, there was plenty of work they could help with for that time including training others to be fully up to speed to fill in until a full time replacement was hired.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

#1634454 - 12/01/11 09:40 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question Kathleen O. Blanchard
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
I have worked at the same job since 1970, so I have no first hand knowledge of right and proper, I have seen where I work people give a I'm Leaving after today notice, or I am giving my 2 weeks notice...what ever the circumstances may be. I have also seen us ask some that gave 2 weeks to work to the end of the day and they didn't need to come back. Most of these were employees we were wanting to leave any way.

I was always taught that you give your company the courtesy of at the minimum 2 weeks notice, longer if you can. I know our people who are going to retire at the end of the year and are the head of a department give up to a 6-9 month notice.

So I suppose that if you feel better about giving a 2 week notice I would and be prepared if they bid you a "FOND" farwell!

#1634467 - 12/01/11 10:06 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question #Just Jay
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Jay, have you run this by your internal counsel?

#1634490 - 12/01/11 10:38 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Question Peepers
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I've also seen where an employee gave 2 weeks and pretty much stopped working....they were sent that day and no additional pay. I've seen employees being told just go and the 2 weeks is still paid. I think some of it is determined by the size of the bank, what the job market where you are is like, and what other businesses in your area are doing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale