Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1634788 - 12/02/11 05:30 PM Intent to Proceed
Liz Y Offline
New Poster
Tennessee
We just had our friendly auditors come and we have been informed that our loan files need to include another disclosure that the customer "intends to proceed". It is our practice not to charge any closing costs until the closing date and so we don't use any special disclosure. Not to mention that our software doesn't provide any such form. Have you had exams where this was an issue? Is there a regulation that says we should have been using this disclsoure all along?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1634793 - 12/02/11 05:40 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Liz Y
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
We just had our friendly auditors come and we have been informed that our loan files need to include another disclosure that the customer "intends to proceed".

Tell them to show you where in the regulation this form is required. It is not.

Return to Top
#1634801 - 12/02/11 05:47 PM Re: Intent to Proceed rlcarey
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
As Randy said, it is not a requirement. You need to at least speak to them and determine that they intend to proceed but there is no form. Some banks have developed an internal form but it is not legally required.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1634814 - 12/02/11 05:57 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Kathleen O. Blanchard
RulesFollower Offline
100 Club
The regulation does require you document the customer has expressed his intent to proceed but does not require a special disclosure. As acknowledgement of the GFE is not enough to document intent, we have added verbiage to our cover letter stating that the customer understands that signing and returning is their intent to proceed with the loan.

Return to Top
#1634816 - 12/02/11 05:58 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Kathleen O. Blanchard
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
But wait, if the bank's policy is to have a procedure in place to prove intent to proceed, and the policy is not adhered to, there is a policy violation, which could lead to criticism from examiners, correct?

Return to Top
#1634817 - 12/02/11 05:59 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Combustible
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Yes. You have to follow your own procedures.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1634883 - 12/02/11 07:11 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Kathleen O. Blanchard
Liz Y Offline
New Poster
Tennessee
I found this in the reg:(4) Expiration of original GFE. If a borrower does not express an intent to continue with an application within 10 business days after the GFE is provided, or such longer time specified by the loan originator pursuant to
paragraph (c) above, the loan originator is no longer bound by the GFE.
Is there more that I am missing? I am not seeing that it has to be documented either.???

Return to Top
#1634892 - 12/02/11 07:15 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Liz Y
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The only real issue is if you are charging them fees upfront. You can't charge (except for the credit report) until an intent to proceed is received. Other than that, I see no reason to actually have to document this process.

Return to Top
#1634912 - 12/02/11 07:29 PM Re: Intent to Proceed rlcarey
Liz Y Offline
New Poster
Tennessee
Thank you! smile

Return to Top
#1634963 - 12/02/11 08:16 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Liz Y
RulesFollower Offline
100 Club
rl is correct, you can not charge any upfront fees BUT another thing you can't do is request income documentation and at our bank we don't order the appraisal without the consent either.

Return to Top
#1634966 - 12/02/11 08:22 PM Re: Intent to Proceed RulesFollower
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Auditors or examiners?
Auditors like to come up with all kinds of 'recommendations'.
As has been stated above, there is no regulatory requirement for documentation by a certain form.
It is prudent to have some kind of procedure, be it a form or a line on your processing sheet, that notes when and how the intent to proceed was expressed by the borrowers.

Whether you charge fees up front or at closing is immaterial.
I can vouch that EXAMINERS will ask when you got the OTP or ordered the appraisal, neither one of which, by Regulation, can occur till after you have delivered the GFE&TIL and received the intent to proceed.

Return to Top
#1634969 - 12/02/11 08:23 PM Re: Intent to Proceed Truffle Royale
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
BUT another thing you can't do is request income documentation

You can "request" verification documentation any time after you deliver the GFE - intent to proceed or not.

Return to Top
#1634986 - 12/02/11 08:37 PM Re: Intent to Proceed rlcarey
RulesFollower Offline
100 Club
Why would you request anything from a customer that has not agreed to do business with you?

Return to Top
#1635013 - 12/02/11 09:05 PM Re: Intent to Proceed RulesFollower
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't know, but my point was that there was no prohibition on making the request after the GFE is delivered whether they have an intent to proceed or not.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z