Learn More - Click Here!

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Thread Options
#163592 - 07/20/04 04:46 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

But pbrinker, this is not what is happening with the judicial nominees. My understanding is that the committees are not bringing up the nominees to a vote. Blocking judicial nominees is normal, not bringing them up for a vote is unprecedented, right?

"...Republicans have repeatedly asserted that using a filibuster to block a judicial nominee is unprecedented. History books and contemporary news accounts, however, generally depict Justice Abe Fortas's unsuccessful bid in 1968 to become chief justice to have been filibustered by Republicans... "

Clickey

Not to say that it is right to filibuster an appointment of a chief justice, but this is comparing apples to oranges--he was already a justice. What we have now is filibuster to block a person from becoming a federal judge at all. Has the filibuster ever been used by Dems. or Reps. to block a judicial nominee?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#163593 - 07/20/04 04:59 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But pbrinker, this is not what is happening with the judicial nominees. My understanding is that the committees are not bringing up the nominees to a vote. Blocking judicial nominees is normal, not bringing them up for a vote is unprecedented, right?

"...Republicans have repeatedly asserted that using a filibuster to block a judicial nominee is unprecedented. History books and contemporary news accounts, however, generally depict Justice Abe Fortas's unsuccessful bid in 1968 to become chief justice to have been filibustered by Republicans... "

Clickey

Not to say that it is right to filibuster an appointment of a chief justice, but this is comparing apples to oranges--he was already a justice. What we have now is filibuster to block a person from becoming a federal judge at all. Has the filibuster ever been used by Dems. or Reps. to block a judicial nominee?

It is not at all “apples to oranges”. The position of a chief justice IS a judicial nominee. Maybe one is a small apple and one is a big apple, but they are both judicial nominees.

“Hatch claims that no federal judicial nominee has ever been filibustered, but he is wrong. President Johnson’s 1968 Supreme Court nominee, Abe Fortas, was the victim of a GOP filibuster. Over 50 Clinton nominees were denied a vote on the Senate floor and many didn’t even get a hearing. How is that any different?”

Return to Top
#163594 - 07/20/04 05:11 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

“Hatch claims that no federal judicial nominee has ever been filibustered, but he is wrong. President Johnson’s 1968 Supreme Court nominee, Abe Fortas, was the victim of a GOP filibuster. Over 50 Clinton nominees were denied a vote on the Senate floor and many didn’t even get a hearing. How is that any different?”

Ok, (a) is an isolated instance from 36 years ago really relevant?

And (b), the number of Clinton appointees confirmed by a Republican Senate are very comparable to the number of Reagan appointees confirmed by a Republican Senate.

Return to Top
#163595 - 07/20/04 05:23 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Quote:

Uh…yes. It is an event that happened, therefore it is by definition a precedence. The question was “Has the filibuster ever been used by Dems. or Reps. to block a judicial nominee??” I answered that question.

Quote:

And (b), the number of Clinton appointees confirmed by a Republican Senate are very comparable to the number of Reagan appointees confirmed by a Republican Senate.

I included the quote to show that the Senate has blocked judicial nominees from moving through the whole confirmation process. You are adding that this also happened in the Reagan years. Thanks!

Return to Top
#163596 - 07/20/04 05:40 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Anonymous
Unregistered

The fact is that judicial confirmations have been held up without votes for years. The thought that the current situation is "unprecedented" because one strategy involved not bringing the nomination to a vote in committee, while the other involves not bringing the nomination to a vote on the floor is a distinction without a real difference. Many more judges are being confirmed now than when Clinton was President, however.

Return to Top
#163597 - 07/20/04 05:42 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Uh…yes. It is an event that happened, therefore it is by definition a precedence. The question was “Has the filibuster ever been used by Dems. or Reps. to block a judicial nominee??” I answered that question.

So? My question is, how is it relevant? By the way, it was neither Republicans nor Democrats that conspired to filibuster the Fortas promotion - it was Southerners. Justice Fortis also had some issues regarding his outside employment, and coziness with the Johnson administration that were questionable.

Quote:

Quote:

I included the quote to show that the Senate has blocked judicial nominees from moving through the whole confirmation process. You are adding that this also happened in the Reagan years. Thanks!

No, I am pointing out that under both Clinton and Reagan, judicial nominees were confirmed at an equitable rate. You cannot say that the filibuster of Bush appointees is payback for some evil concocted by the Republicans against Clinton appointees.

Return to Top
#163598 - 07/20/04 05:46 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

The fact is that judicial confirmations have been held up without votes for years. The thought that the current situation is "unprecedented" because one strategy involved not bringing the nomination to a vote in committee, while the other involves not bringing the nomination to a vote on the floor is a distinction without a real difference.

Actually, it's not. If home state Senators hold up an appeals court nomination in committee, the President can always nominate someone from a neighboring state with Senators that are more friendly to the President. The filibusters occur without any such limitation - targeting anyone (especially women and minorities) that the Democrats find to be too much of a Constitutionalist.

Quote:

Many more judges are being confirmed now than when Clinton was President, however.

Gotta call BS on that one. Let's see a cite, with references to appeals court nominees too (since that's who is being filibustered).

Return to Top
#163599 - 07/20/04 05:56 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Quote:

So? My question is, how is it relevant?

Ok, it’s not relevant to YOUR argument or questions. It does directly answer Zaibatzu’s. If you can’t see that, no one can make you see it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, I am pointing out that under both Clinton and Reagan, judicial nominees were confirmed at an equitable rate. You cannot say that the filibuster of Bush appointees is payback for some evil concocted by the Republicans against Clinton appointees.

Jokerman, I don’t know what’s wrong with you. You are twisting my argument AGAIN to mean something that was not said. I didn’t say it was payback or anything of the sort. I only said that it happened.

Return to Top
#163600 - 07/20/04 06:09 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Jokerman, I don’t know what’s wrong with you. You are twisting my argument AGAIN to mean something that was not said.

What else is new?

Return to Top
#163601 - 07/20/04 06:23 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
zzzzzzzzzzz

I think you two are the only ones still awake on this one.

Does anyone remember what the question was?

Return to Top
#163602 - 07/20/04 06:33 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I don't want to split hairs. In my opinion there is no excuse for not letting it go to a vote in the committee and then letting it go to a vote on the floor. Isn't that the point of a representative democracy?

Return to Top
#163603 - 07/20/04 06:51 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I agree that it should have come to the floor for a vote. Make the senators stand up for what they believe. Then the voters would know how they stand. Ahhh, I guess that is the point, the senators don't want to go on record. But, in essence they did. Our state has one senator up for re-election and he voted against it and he is pro-abortion and I know that he will win by a big margin, but I can not vote for the man.

Return to Top
#163604 - 07/20/04 06:56 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Ok, it’s not relevant to YOUR argument or questions. It does directly answer Zaibatzu’s. If you can’t see that, no one can make you see it.

Z's question was whether R's or D's had filibustered in the past. You are technically correct. I have pointed out that it is irrelevant to the current situation. If you can't see that, no one can make you.

Quote:

Jokerman, I don’t know what’s wrong with you. You are twisting my argument AGAIN to mean something that was not said. I didn’t say it was payback or anything of the sort. I only said that it happened.

You haven't specifically said it was payback. Pbrinker did. If you aren't arguing that it's payback, just agree with the President that it's wrong and should stop.

Return to Top
#163605 - 07/20/04 06:57 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Jokerman, I don’t know what’s wrong with you. You are twisting my argument AGAIN to mean something that was not said.

What else is new?

Anonymous sniping. Oh, wait...no it's not.

Return to Top
#163606 - 07/21/04 02:54 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

The Republicans don't need to file a lawsuit. They need to have the Parlimentarian declare the filibuster out of order. Then approve the judge on a normal majority vote. The Democrats would be the ones filing a lawsuit. I don't know how it would be decided, but it would be better than just whining about it.

Timely article today in Roll Call, for those of you still awake on this. Relevant portions:

Quote:

Conservatives and members of the Senate Republican leadership say that Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) is committed to using a controversial procedural tactic that would rewrite the chamber’s filibuster rule.
The push by prominent conservative activists and legal experts to strip the minority of the power to block judges gained new momentum yesterday when Republicans failed to stop a Democratic filibuster of William Myers, a nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. Republicans expect Democrats to filibuster two other nominees to the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, David McKeague and Richard Griffin, both of whom lawmakers passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday.
Since Democrats launched a permanent filibuster against Miguel Estrada, whom Bush nominated to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, the first time a judicial nominee was subjected to a series of failed cloture votes, conservatives have discussed ways to eliminate such blocking tactics. Rewriting the Senate rules has been an option long under consideration. But as Democrats have used a once unprecedented tactic repeatedly against Bush’s nominees — Myers is the seventh nominee to be filibustered — the support among conservatives for stripping the minority of the ability to filibuster has swelled.
Frist could pursue the so-called constitutional or “nuclear” option. One variation of the tactic would entail asking the vice president or a member of the majority presiding over the chamber to issue a ruling from the chair invalidating filibusters of judicial nominees. Democrats would be certain to object to such a ruling, but their objection could be overruled by a majority vote. Rulings of the chair have been used in the past to change the filibuster rule, most notably in 1977 when then-Vice President Walter Mondale (D) ruled out of order a post-cloture filibuster by Sens. James Abourezk (D-S.D.) and Howard Metzenbaum (D-Ohio). Another tactic would be to extend the legislative day over the course of many calendar days, taking advantage of the rule that a lawmaker can only speak twice on the same subject during a legislative day. Such a tactic would exhaust the ability of Democrats to filibuster a nominee or group of nominees.

I'd still be interested in an answer to this question, if anybody thinks they can reconcile between it and a judicial filibuster:

Quote:

Would you say that the Senate could change its rules to require a 3/4 majority on a veto override?

Return to Top
#163607 - 07/21/04 02:59 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Something needs to be done. Ideology aside--the party in the White House gets to nominate the judiciary and the party outside needs to allow it to go to a vote. This whole: "we need more information" argument is a smoke screen.

Return to Top
#163608 - 07/21/04 03:23 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I heard yesterday that a lesbian couple who were married in Mass. is trying to get their marriage recognized in Florida and Florida refused, so they have filed a case in federal court to force Florida to recognize the marriage.

This kind of lawsuit is what people supporting the FMA have been saying would happen all along while lawmakers have been saying that should be left up to the states. If this case is successful, then it won't be up to the states anymore, they will be forced to recognize any type of marriage from any other state.

We are picking up speed on that slipperly slope that those 5 judges started in Mass.

Return to Top
#163609 - 07/21/04 03:34 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I heard yesterday that a lesbian couple who were married in Mass. is trying to get their marriage recognized in Florida and Florida refused, so they have filed a case in federal court to force Florida to recognize the marriage.

This kind of lawsuit is what people supporting the FMA have been saying would happen all along while lawmakers have been saying that should be left up to the states. If this case is successful, then it won't be up to the states anymore, they will be forced to recognize any type of marriage from any other state.

We are picking up speed on that slipperly slope that those 5 judges started in Mass.

How can they be taking this to Federal court? Doesn't DOMA specifically handle this question by saying clearly that states do NOT have to recognize these "marriages"?

Return to Top
#163610 - 07/21/04 03:35 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

This is what started the whole Sanctity of Marriage Amendment debate in the first place--activist judiciary willing to bless activists' actions. As far as I know, the Mass legislature never passed a law defining marriage as anything other than a union of a man and woman. (Have they?) Again, we have a few judges and county clerks in a few states making law for the entire nation.

When marriage in Texas becomes anything other than the union of one man and one woman, I am giving my marriage license back to the county. I am not sure why I need their licensing to be joined before God anyway.

Return to Top
#163611 - 07/21/04 03:53 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
They will use Article 3 of the U.S. Constitution for their case.

Return to Top
#163612 - 07/21/04 04:07 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Here is a brief report on the story from Christian Broadcasting Network.

Lesbian Couple Sues to Have DOMA Overturned

(CBN News)- Conservatives warned it would happen. A lesbian couple is suing the federal government to have their marriage recognized.

The couple lives in Florida. They were married in Massachusetts earlier this month. They are suing to have the federal Defense of Marriage Act overturned.

That law says marriage is only between a man and a woman. But their lawyer says the law violates their rights to equal protection under the law.

Last week, the Senate voted against allowing debate on a constitutional amendment that would limit marriage to a man and a woman.

Many senators said they did not see the need for a constitutional amendment since DOMA was already in place.

Return to Top
#163613 - 07/21/04 04:07 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Quote:

I took into account every section of the CONSTITUTION that you cited. Senate rules do not the Constitution amend.

We're back to the semantic argument. In Article I, the Constitution empowers the Senate to create its own rules for how it conducts its business. Those rules apply to all of the Senate's business, including its advice and consent on nominees. The Constitution does not guarantee a nominee for any office a vote by the full Senate. It says only that the Senate will provide its advice and consent, and defines what vote is necessary for consent. The consent of the Senate is obtained when a vote occurs in accordance with its rules. This is includes the rule on cloture, or ending debate.

You can continue to assert to the contrary, but that doesn't change the facts, or the applicability of the rules.

Quote:

No, this whole opposition of judges for political purposes began with Robert Bork. I won't deny that some Republicans have wrongly denied a committee vote on appointees from their state. Democrats have done the exact same thing (e.g., Carl Levin). But the wholesale filibuster of groups of nominees to an appeals court for idealogical reasons is unprecedented.

Actually, the use of a fillibuster to prevent a judicial nominee from being voted on goes back at least to 1967, when Johnson's nomination of Abe Fortas was filibustered by Republicans.

If we went back further, I'm sure we could find other instances where judges were opposed for political purposes. I will grant you that the fight over Bork's nomination was particularly heated, but as I have already proved, it wasn't the first instance.

I would contest the assertion that "whole groups of nominees" have actually been filibustered. Of all the President's judicial nominees, I can think of 5 or 6 (out of over 200) that have had consideration blocked.

Finally, I just don't see any difference in the end between the current actions of Senate Democrats and the actions of Senate Republicans during the Clinton administration. Whether blocked before they reached Committee or after, the Republicans blocked "whole groups" of Clinton's judicial nominees for ideological purposes. If you are th majority, you don't need the filibuster, because you control the agenda.

The Republicans have not reacted asa you suggest they should because they believe (quite rightly, IMO) that the Democrates would then filibuster all business in the Senate until the decision was reverersed. That would make them look stupid, and they are many things, but the Senate leadership is not stupid.

Return to Top
#163614 - 07/21/04 04:07 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

They will use Article 3 of the U.S. Constitution for their case.

I think you mean article IV, full faith and credit.

In MA, the state Supreme Court ruled that the state law defining marriage as the union of a man & a woman violated the state constitution, and instructed the legislature to change it, which (I believe) they have.

The couple in FL will say that their state is required under Article IV to recongize their marriage from MA. The DOMA is a federal law, but many think it will be ruled unconstitutional as a violation of the full faith and credit clause. (I agree.)

Thus, the need for a constitutional amendment defining marriage in the United States.

Return to Top
#163615 - 07/21/04 04:12 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Quote:

Z, do really want to split the hair that finely. Fortas was nominated Chief Justice - a position that required that he be confirmed by the Senate. His position on the court as an associate did not affect that in any way. He still needed confirmation again. That consent was witheld, and ultimately Fortas left the court soon after.

Return to Top
#163616 - 07/21/04 04:17 PM Re: Senate Vote on Marriage Amendment
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

...The Constitution does not guarantee a nominee for any office a vote by the full Senate. It says only that the Senate will provide its advice and consent, and defines what vote is necessary for consent. The consent of the Senate is obtained when a vote occurs in accordance with its rules. This is includes the rule on cloture, or ending debate.

You still haven't told me if the Senate can adopt rules requiring a 3/4 majority on a veto override.

Quote:

Actually, the use of a fillibuster to prevent a judicial nominee from being voted on goes back at least to 1967, when Johnson's nomination of Abe Fortas was filibustered by Republicans.

We have discussed this and it is irrelevant to what is happening today. I didn't say Bork was the first ever, I said it is where the current situation began.

Quote:

I would contest the assertion that "whole groups of nominees" have actually been filibustered. Of all the President's judicial nominees, I can think of 5 or 6 (out of over 200) that have had consideration blocked.

Actually, it's seven, out of a much smaller than 200 group of APPEALS COURT nominees. God forbid a Supreme Court nomination be needed in this climate.

Quote:

I just don't see any difference in the end between the current actions of Senate Democrats and the actions of Senate Republicans during the Clinton administration. Whether blocked before they reached Committee or after, the Republicans blocked "whole groups" of Clinton's judicial nominees for ideological purposes. If you are th majority, you don't need the filibuster, because you control the agenda.

As I pointed out, under six years of a Senate ran by Republicans and two years of Democrats, Clinton appointed less than 2% fewer judges than Reagan did under six years of Republicans and two years of Democrats. You can hardly say that the Republicans treated Clinton unfairly.

Quote:

The Republicans have not reacted asa you suggest they should because they believe (quite rightly, IMO) that the Democrates would then filibuster all business in the Senate until the decision was reverersed. That would make them look stupid, and they are many things, but the Senate leadership is not stupid.

You apparently haven't read the article I posted. If the Democrats want to shut down the Senate for the ACLU, let them.

Return to Top
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12