Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1636393 - 12/07/11 05:02 PM The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Okay....in my experience, we have always reported HELOC's that were converted to a closed-end HELOAN as a refinance. We gave TILA disclosures, etc. and reported it on our LAR. Examiners have agreed with our reporting of these on the LAR.

YET...I cannot find anywhere a solid opinion or commentary from the regulators that support this practice.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on this? Or, if you have something that supports the opinion that it should not be reported, that's fine too.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1636504 - 12/07/11 06:41 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs Many Hats
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Refinancing a HELOC into a close-end dwelling secured loan would cause it to lose its open-end LOC option and would be reportable as a refinancing.

Return to Top
#1636520 - 12/07/11 06:54 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs Dan Persfull
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
I am in total agreement and I am not sure why it's such a big debate....I have received several different answers on the subject...still with no solid authoritative answer.

So frustrating.

Return to Top
#1636521 - 12/07/11 07:08 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs Dan Persfull
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
Refinancing a HELOC into a close-end dwelling secured loan would cause it to lose its open-end LOC option and would be reportable as a refinancing.

^^^^There's your solid authoritative answer. smile

Return to Top
#1636526 - 12/07/11 07:00 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs raitchjay
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Really - when it comes from Dan I am in total agreement. smile

Return to Top
#1636531 - 12/07/11 07:04 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs raitchjay
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
still with no solid authoritative answer

You authoritative answer can be found in 203.2.

(k) Refinancing means a new obligation that satisfies and replaces an existing obligation by the same borrower, in which:
(1) For coverage purposes, the existing obligation is a home purchase loan (as determined by the lender, for example, by reference to available documents; or as stated by the applicant), and both the existing obligation and the new obligation are secured by first liens on dwellings; and
(2) For reporting purposes, both the existing obligation and the new obligation are secured by liens on dwellings.

The HELOC is a dwelling secured loan that has been refinanced into another dwelling secured loan. Since the new loan is no longer a HELOC it no longer is optional reporting and must be reported as a refinancing.

Return to Top
#1636545 - 12/07/11 07:25 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs Dan Persfull
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
The HELOC is a dwelling secured loan that has been refinanced into another dwelling secured loan. Since the new loan is no longer a HELOC it no longer is optional reporting and must be reported as a refinancing.

I agree with Dan. To say it another way, your answer comes in two parts: 1) The new loan "satisfies and replaces a loan secured by a dwelling to the same borrower." 2) The new loan is not a LOC so it does not qualify for the exception.

Therefore, the loan is reportable.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#1636560 - 12/07/11 07:23 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs Adam Witmer
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
So, really there doesn't seem to me to be a valid excuse to NOT report it, by calling it a "modification." Yet, it seems to happen alot. I guess it's just a matter of whether the examiners feel like making it an issue or not?

Return to Top
#1636566 - 12/07/11 07:41 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs Many Hats
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
You can't "modify" an open end loan into a closed end loan.

Return to Top
#1636605 - 12/07/11 08:00 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs raitchjay
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
That's what I am saying. We are on the same page.

Return to Top
#1636664 - 12/07/11 09:14 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs Many Hats
RaesPlace Offline
100 Club
While we are on the "authoritative answers" can anyone point me in the direction of where I would find that Pre-approvals that are closed for incompleteness are not reported? I know that it's correct, but can't find the source.

Return to Top
#1636666 - 12/07/11 09:16 PM Re: The Big dilemma - are HELOCs converted to HELOANs RaesPlace
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
It's in the Action Taken section of Appendex A of GIR. Page A-3 in my printed copy.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM