BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1638824 - 12/14/11 03:47 PM Tell us about your Christmas tree
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Inspired by the "Christmas trees are a false god" thread in the contro cooler, I thought I'd like to hear about everyone's tree. I like Christmas trees.

Ours is a 9 foot fake pre-lit tree. We used to have a real one every year, bundling up the kids and walking around the tree lot until we found the perfect one. Then one year, I took the tree out back after Christmas and tossed a match on it. It exploded like it was soaked in gasoline. I will never have a dead tree in my house again.

Over the years, we've collected ornaments while on vacation. So we now have a bunch of ornaments that remind us of all the family vacations over the years. We still, after a couple decades, have the baby's first Christmas ornaments, some with pictures of the babies, and also still have some of those pre-school project ornaments. My wife has also been buying an angel ornament yearly for our daughter, with the intention of giving them to her when she has her own tree. So our tree just drips with nostalgia and sentiment.

For a few years when I was a kid, we had one of those white flocked trees, all sprayed with this white crud, with all red ornaments and no lights on the tree. It was lit by pink floodlights on the floor. Weird.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1638826 - 12/14/11 03:49 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree MyBrainHurts
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
3 ft tall, real tree... Little ornaments. My son likes me to do it, I could really care less about Xmas.

<<--- admitted heathen

Return to Top
#1638828 - 12/14/11 03:50 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree Retired DQ
A_G Online
10K Club
No tree.

Return to Top
#1638835 - 12/14/11 04:03 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree A_G
Peepers Offline
10K Club
trees are confusing and often don't have a point

Return to Top
#1638837 - 12/14/11 04:05 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree Peepers
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
laugh

Return to Top
#1638844 - 12/14/11 04:11 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree Retired DQ
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
We have a six foot pre-lit that is on it's last year. We were putting it up (last night, actually) and all of a sudden the hubs looked at me and said: "I think it's time for an upgrade." He's right, the thing cost like $20 at Menards five years ago!

It has colored lights, which we both prefer. The hubs likes garland, so he gets to put up two looong strands of it. I have a set of silver glass ball ornaments that I sometimes put up. We are just getting started on our own collection of "memorable" ornaments. smile

P.S. I also like Christmas Trees, MyBrainHurts smile
P.P.S. Also praying my dogs don't see the tree as a newly-installed indoor restroom. eek
Last edited by manimal82; 12/14/11 04:21 PM.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1638847 - 12/14/11 04:13 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree manimal
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
8 foot artificial with all kinds of ornaments. I have one that I made in kindergarten - 45 years ago and even have a few I cross-stitched about 15 years ago. Colored lights, etc. My husband loves blinking colored lights.

Return to Top
#1638850 - 12/14/11 04:13 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree Skittles
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
As the poorly practicing Catholic I am, my artificial prelit tree is fully adorned with loverly ornaments, but no presents under the tree due to the fact I do not wrap them until the last minute.

Return to Top
#1638856 - 12/14/11 04:20 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree #Just Jay
one deer Offline
Any where but work
Used to have a 7 foot fake tree with all kinds of ornaments on it, clear lights and no tinsel. Since kids are grown and gone now put up two skinny fake trees with blue lights and brown ornaments some glass pinecones and sparkly snowflakes second tree has antique ornaments on it. Still love Christmas just don't get all superhuman about it. Put lots of other red and green decor up throughout the house.

Return to Top
#1638858 - 12/14/11 04:21 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree Peepers
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: Peepers
trees are confusing and often don't have a point

Silly, if it doesnt have a point, its not a tree.... its a bush!

I have the Charlie Brown Christmas tree! I believe God has a since of humor and it felt festive to me! smile

Return to Top
#1638859 - 12/14/11 04:21 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree #Just Jay
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
1. 6'5" tree in living room, multi-colored lights, collection of homemade kids ornaments and family picture ornaments. Artificial. The lights no longer blink because I am married to scrooge. smile Presents from parents are under it. Rest are waiting for Santa to arrive.

2. "Disney" (pooh, tigger, mickey,etc) tree in kid's room. About 4 foot tall, with the Cinderella she got from the Make a Wish folks as a tree topper. Also artificial.

3. 3 foot tall "red and white" tree in the foyer, on my buffet. Only red and white ornaments allowed.

I cut back this year. Left 2 more trees in the attic. Actually that wasn't my choice. Hubster "forgot them" up there and then left for his hunting trip and the Little Giant Ladder scares me. smile

I also have more than 20 nativity sets. My favorite is the S'Mores one - with the baby Jesus marshmallow - I'm going to heck for it, I figure.

Return to Top
#1638871 - 12/14/11 04:41 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree #Just Jay
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I have a 7' tall artificial (had terrible allergies to real pine trees when I was little) tree with multi-colored lights, tinsel, and a lighted star at the top.

I lost all of my memorable ornaments and ornaments that the kids made me a few years ago, but my tree has a wide assortment of ornaments from some very generous BOLer's who helped me out in my time of need. It is awesome to see the kids take the ornaments out of the box and remember that "The lady from California gave me this fish ornament!". It's amazing what they remember.

My son did recover 2 or three of my favorite old ornaments for me. The funniest one is a beanie baby robin that I used to sneak in the tree every year and wait to see how long it would take for the kids to see it.

I just bought a rotating tree stand this year so that my tree slowly revolves and you can see all of the lights and ornaments. I had one before and really had missed for the past couple of years.

Return to Top
#1638876 - 12/14/11 04:32 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree thomasj
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
fake tree...still not even out of the box...we too have ornamanets from vacation locations, as well as buy a new one each year for both of our boys...the thought is when they move out and start decorating their own tree they will have many years of ornaments...also have every cheesy ornament they made in school, and there are many...and only white lights, never color

Return to Top
#1638880 - 12/14/11 04:34 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree HappyGilmore
A_G Online
10K Club
ma has bought me an orny every year since birth in hopes of someday I can decorate my own tree. this year I told her she better get me a bigger box where I can store my ornaments. grin

Return to Top
#1638883 - 12/14/11 04:48 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree thomasj
RR Sarah Online
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I have a 6-ft prelit artificial tree. Would love to do a real tree but I'm not responsible enough to keep it watered. smirk I have a variety of ornaments and usually try to pack the tree as full of ornaments as I can.

Return to Top
#1638884 - 12/14/11 04:37 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Mr. A_G-DDD™
ma has bought me an orny every year since birth in hopes of someday I can decorate my own tree. this year I told her she better get me a bigger box where I can store my ornaments. grin

yeah, a tree in the basement is a fire hazard...

Return to Top
#1638885 - 12/14/11 04:38 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree thomasj
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: thomasj
It is awesome to see the kids take the ornaments out of the box and remember that "The lady from California gave me this fish ornament!". It's amazing what they remember.

Haha! That's neat wink

I have a 7' artificial "skinny" tree...(wait for it)....that I got on craigslist! It's nto prelit which I actually like. I put up one strand of twinkly clear lights plus a couple strands of colored lights. Gold bead garland witha gold bead star on the top. Then all the ornies are from vacations, ornament exchanges (from BOL and the ol' ladies), and a few store bought (but not many).

I also have a 5' fake palm tree that i usually put up with pink lights and lighted flamingos. My beanie baby flamingo sits on top with a pink santa hat, and I usually put all my flamingo ornies on thsi tree. It even has a Christmas flamingo tree skirt. I didn't put it up this year though...not into clutter at the moment laugh

Return to Top
#1638890 - 12/14/11 04:47 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree Dip
CountryGal Offline
New Poster
CountryGal
God's Country
I've been in my current house with my two kids for the past 3 years. We get a real tree every year and so far every year it has fallen over! The first year, half of the ornaments broke so we don't have as many now to decorate with. This year when it fell over, I tied it to a nail in the wall with fishing wire. It is still leaning but so far has not fallen again. My son thinks it's a tradition now and loves yelling "Tree down" whenever he finds it on the floor!

Return to Top
#1638892 - 12/14/11 04:52 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree thomasj
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I just bought a rotating tree stand this year so that my tree slowly revolves and you can see all of the lights and ornaments. I had one before and really had missed for the past couple of years.

my parents had one when I was a kid, does yours play Jingle Bells?

Return to Top
#1638905 - 12/14/11 05:04 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree Peepers
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
7" fake, adorned with colored lights and some ribbony stuff that makes it prettier. I believe about 3 of the ornaments have any sort of significance to me, the rest are ones she inherited from a deceased relative that I never met. It's packed with presents underneath, though none are addressed to me or her, and it blocks the view of the TV from half of the couch (the side I usually occupy), but I'm a good sport about it.

Not big on the Christmas spirit, but I like giving gifts to people, so they accept my hum-buggedness. I do enjoy January when I get to reclaim the living room! Hopefully only one more holiday season in the little apartment, after this one.

Return to Top
#1638906 - 12/14/11 05:16 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree Peepers
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
My rotating tree stand is, thankfully, music free! It just gently turns the tree around. It is sitting in front of the picture window so from outside it looks really neat.

Return to Top
#1638908 - 12/14/11 05:06 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree CountryGal
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: CountryGal
I've been in my current house with my two kids for the past 3 years. We get a real tree every year and so far every year it has fallen over! The first year, half of the ornaments broke so we don't have as many now to decorate with. This year when it fell over, I tied it to a nail in the wall with fishing wire. It is still leaning but so far has not fallen again. My son thinks it's a tradition now and loves yelling "Tree down" whenever he finds it on the floor!

Have you tried using a tree stand? They're all the rage now! laugh
:runs and hides:

Return to Top
#1638909 - 12/14/11 05:07 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree Dip
WreckEmTech Offline
100 Club
Texas
Here goes...

1. Formal 8 foot pre-lit tree (white lights) in living room decorated in gold and burgandy. Grown-up gifts wrapped in coordinating paper. It is topped with a star each year to remind us of the birth of Jesus and I have told my son that we have lights on our trees and house to remind us that our light should shine bright for Jesus where everyone can see.

2. 3 foot tree in dining room decorated in Texas Tech ornaments, complete with homemade blingy Tech tree skirt.

3. 3 foot lighted tree in son's room. Blue, silver and white balls for the most part. I started it the year he was born and bought one baby's 1st Christmas ornament. Each year he gets to pick one new ornament for his tree. I write the year on the bottom of each ornament. It is neat to see what his interests are from year to year...when he is grown he will be able to take all those ornaments with him.

4. Charlie Brown tree smile

5. My favorite...6 foot tree in my bedroom. It has all my hodge-podge ornaments. I have several ornaments from when I was a kid and I always get the cutest ornaments from friends each year but I never had a place to put them because they didn't match the big tree. Now that my son has started making ornaments at school, I really wanted a place for them all, so up went another tree. The gifts for kiddos in cute wrapping paper go under that tree.

My hubby has now banned me from buying any more trees but I'm secretly looking for a brown tree made of feathers for my bathroom. whistle

Return to Top
#1638911 - 12/14/11 05:11 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree thomasj
Peepers Offline
10K Club
My rotating tree stand is, thankfully, music free! It just gently turns the tree around. It is sitting in front of the picture window so from outside it looks really neat.

the one we had when I was a kid you could have rotate with or without music

ah the memories of little Peepers in his footie pajamas opening presents.....

Return to Top
#1638912 - 12/14/11 05:13 PM Re: Tell us about your Christmas tree WreckEmTech
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: WreckEmTech
Here goes...

1. Formal 8 foot pre-lit tree (white lights) in living room decorated in gold and burgandy. Grown-up gifts wrapped in coordinating paper. It is topped with a star each year to remind us of the birth of Jesus and I have told my son that we have lights on our trees and house to remind us that our light should shine bright for Jesus where everyone can see.

2. 3 foot tree in dining room decorated in Texas Tech ornaments, complete with homemade blingy Tech tree skirt.

3. 3 foot lighted tree in son's room. Blue, silver and white balls for the most part. I started it the year he was born and bought one baby's 1st Christmas ornament. Each year he gets to pick one new ornament for his tree. I write the year on the bottom of each ornament. It is neat to see what his interests are from year to year...when he is grown he will be able to take all those ornaments with him.

4. Charlie Brown tree smile

5. My favorite...6 foot tree in my bedroom. It has all my hodge-podge ornaments. I have several ornaments from when I was a kid and I always get the cutest ornaments from friends each year but I never had a place to put them because they didn't match the big tree. Now that my son has started making ornaments at school, I really wanted a place for them all, so up went another tree. The gifts for kiddos in cute wrapping paper go under that tree.

My hubby has now banned me from buying any more trees but I'm secretly looking for a brown tree made of feathers for my bathroom. whistle

"....and a patridge in a pear tree!" laugh

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3