Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1639147 - 12/14/11 09:52 PM Seller requested change = Changed Circumstance
mzachau, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
mzachau, CRCM
San Francisco
We have a borrower that is purchasing an REO property from another Bank. The Bank (as the seller) initially elected to use title company A, but now has requested that title company B be used.

HUD's April 2010 FAQ states that if the borrower elects a service provider not on the Bank's provider list, but later changes and requests to use a provider that is on the list; this is not a changed circumstance.

If the seller changes the title company, is it OK to redisclose?

Return to Top
RESPA
#1639160 - 12/14/11 10:02 PM Re: Seller requested change = Changed Circumstance mzachau, CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Putting aside for a moment seller selecting title company...

If the company selected in not included on your 'shopping list' of providers, then you will not be held to a tolerance... what do you gain by redisclosing?

Either way, IMO, no, not acceptable to redisclose.

Return to Top
#1639173 - 12/14/11 10:20 PM Re: Seller requested change = Changed Circumstance #Just Jay
mzachau, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
mzachau, CRCM
San Francisco
I apologize, what I meant to write was the changing of the escrow company, not title company.

The part of the FAQ's I do not fully understand is, if the borrower elects to change settlement companies after the GFE has been issued (say from a non-listed provider to a listed provider) this is not a changed circumstance and a revised GFE may not be issued. How does this make sense? The Bank is moving from a position of "no tolerance" to "10% tolerance", all because of the borrowers election to change providers.

Return to Top
#1639176 - 12/14/11 10:21 PM Re: Seller requested change = Changed Circumstance mzachau, CRCM
mzachau, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
mzachau, CRCM
San Francisco
I do not know specifics as to why the seller is making determinations as to which providers the borrower must use. All I was asked was - is this a valid changed cicumstances. However, it is something I will be looking into.

thank you Just Jay

Return to Top
#1639178 - 12/14/11 10:38 PM Re: Seller requested change = Changed Circumstance mzachau, CRCM
RulesFollower Offline
100 Club
When we compiled our list of providers we made sure that the charge that populates the GFE was a "worst case" fee. In other words, we disclose the highest fee of the vendors on our provider list.

Return to Top
#1639183 - 12/14/11 10:30 PM Re: Seller requested change = Changed Circumstance mzachau, CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: mzachau, CRCM
I apologize, what I meant to write was the changing of the escrow company, not title company.

The part of the FAQ's I do not fully understand is, if the borrower elects to change settlement companies after the GFE has been issued (say from a non-listed provider to a listed provider) this is not a changed circumstance and a revised GFE may not be issued. How does this make sense? The Bank is moving from a position of "no tolerance" to "10% tolerance", all because of the borrowers election to change providers.

But if they are electing to change to one of your recommended providers, this again really shouldn't make a difference... your intitial GFE quote should be based on what your providers will charge for that scenario, not what someone you do not recommend would charge. Hence, why you recommend them in the first place.

Return to Top
#1639187 - 12/14/11 10:32 PM Re: Seller requested change = Changed Circumstance #Just Jay
mzachau, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
mzachau, CRCM
San Francisco
Great point!

Return to Top
#1639194 - 12/14/11 10:39 PM Re: Seller requested change = Changed Circumstance mzachau, CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
wink

Return to Top
#1639247 - 12/15/11 03:24 AM Re: Seller requested change = Changed Circumstance #Just Jay
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"I apologize, what I meant to write was the changing of the escrow company, not title company."

What is the difference? What does an "escrow company" do and why would the seller have any say in the matter?

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL