Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1639200 - 12/14/11 10:56 PM Finance Charge and APRWIN for Construction Loan
West Coast Comp Offline
Gold Star
West Coast Comp
Lost in the rain.
So we have a construction loan that clearly has an understated finance charge and are trying to determine what to do about it. I have run it through the APRWIN program and it identifies the finance charge is understated, but the APR is within .25%. When you ask it for a reimbursement at the .25% tolerance it gives no refund. I can't find any support to say the FC understatement is OK, but the APRWIN doesn’t give a reimbursement, I'm sure I'm missing something here. Any help in getting my thinking straight would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1639227 - 12/15/11 12:20 AM Re: Finance Charge and APRWIN for Construction Loan West Coast Comp
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
APRWIN implements the interagency enforcement policy as an overlay to its Reg. Z calculations. Under the policy, lenders are permitted to apply "cross tolerances" when determining the need for reimbursement. Although a loan with an understated FC violates Reg. Z and causes civil liability under the TILA, the policy allows a higher FC tolerance. In effect, the reimbursement tolerance is the larger of (a) the Reg. Z tolerance, or (b) the dollar equivalent of the Reg. Z APR tolerance. If you reimburse according to the policy, you could still be sued under the TILA and you would lose.

Return to Top
#1639544 - 12/15/11 05:24 PM Re: Finance Charge and APRWIN for Construction Loan Richard Insley
West Coast Comp Offline
Gold Star
West Coast Comp
Lost in the rain.
Thanks Richard, I knew I was missing something.

I really appreciate your help.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z