Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1634620 - 12/02/11 03:14 PM I thought this was interesting...
A_G Online
10K Club
$34.3 billion in vacation days to go unused this year

snip -

There's still a month to go before the end of the year, but most Americans will let their last remaining vacation days go unused.

The average American worker earned 14 vacation days this year but will only take 12 of them, according to a survey by Expedia. That's about the same number of days they left on the table last year.

While two forfeited days of vacation may not seem like a lot, it can really add up. Altogether, Americans are giving up 226 million unused vacation days this year. Considering that, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average full-time worker earns $39,416 a year -- that's $34.3 billion worth of time.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1634629 - 12/02/11 03:23 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... A_G
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
<-- Has 120 vacation hours and 142 sick hours, with two pay periods left in the year to accrue more...

I get paid out on sick time in excess of a set maximum, vacation isn't lost, just stops accruing at some point. I have nothing better to do than work though, so I take my manditory week and a few days here and there throughout the year and that's about it!

Return to Top
#1634824 - 12/02/11 06:06 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... Matt_B
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Well, I know they aren't mine. smile

Return to Top
#1634838 - 12/02/11 06:17 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... Retired DQ
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I still have several paid days off, which I most likely will be unable to take this month. Too busy prepping for exams.

Return to Top
#1639122 - 12/14/11 09:42 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... BurntSienna
Cats Offline
100 Club
Cats
Florida
Our sick days accrue and I'm rarely ill so I have lots of those. Vacation is another matter. I'm at a "use 'em or lose 'em" bank so by golly I'll use 'em even if I have to cram them in at the tail end of the year. smile

Return to Top
#1639170 - 12/14/11 10:13 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... Cats
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
^^^^ same here. My supervisor gets SOOOO mad when we all wait till the end of the year to take our use it or lose it Vacation/personal time- Which is why i told her in August that i was waiting till the week between christmas and new years to take it.
Last edited by Loralie; 12/14/11 10:14 PM.

Return to Top
#1639342 - 12/15/11 02:59 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... Loralie
esks Offline
Willie still loves razor bacon...
We can carry over 3 or 5 days (depending on exempt/non-exempt status) each year, which must then be used during the first quarter. I believe unused hours go into your FMLA Bank...

I'm a hoarder, so I always carry days over! I think I still have four days left at this point! smile

Return to Top
#1639722 - 12/15/11 07:37 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... esks
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I have 10 days left and I'm taking them starting tomorrow. I'll be back January 3rd. PTL.

Return to Top
#1640226 - 12/16/11 08:16 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... A_G
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We are the same way. Either use them or lose them. We do the PTO system. I have around 5 days left and will probably only use 1 of the 5. I think it evens out though. There are days when I need to leave 30 minutes early or take an extra long lunch that I don't report so I just figure it all evens out in the end.

Return to Top
#1640592 - 12/19/11 05:24 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we can carry 5 days over, sell 5 days back to the company, or take all our vacation. I can't think of the last time I was sick (was at least 10 years ago) so I have no idea how our sick leave works or acrues...

Return to Top
#1640760 - 12/19/11 09:38 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... HappyGilmore
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
We must take all vacation days within the year, or lose them (on rare occasions, we can obtain approval to carry over a day or two into January).

As for sick days, use them or lose them. They do not accrue. And I'm fine with that. Sick days are an accomodation, not compensation. If you don't use them, thank God that you have been healthy and didn't need them.

Return to Top
#1641191 - 12/20/11 07:08 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... A_G
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
The last institution I worked at had PTO so could carry over a certain amount of hours. Also your year was from your first day of work. Ex: June - May. Lot of people still waited until end to use their days, but at least the whole bank wasn't fighting for a day off in December.
New institution, Jan - Dec and use vacation or lose them, sick days carry over.

Return to Top
#1642046 - 12/21/11 09:19 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... A_G
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Use them or lose them hear. Believe me, almost every employees uses them.

Return to Top
#1642698 - 12/22/11 11:36 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... A_G
AAB Offline
We have PTO, are required to take a consecutive week, but can carry over 20 days per year. It works great in my opinion. Only catch, a holiday week only counts as 4 days, so you must use another day. Also, as a salaried employee, as long as we have 80 hours in two weeks, we are not required to take PTO even if we miss a day or two in one of the weeks.

Return to Top
#1642752 - 12/23/11 02:26 PM Re: I thought this was interesting... A_G
summer girl Offline
North Carolina
We also have PTO. Works great if you are not sick alot. We can carry over 2 days a year. However, even being a salaried employee, you have to take PTO whenever you are out, even if it's for 30 minutes. I have 2 small children so I usually am not able to carry over my 2 days.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry