BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#164400 - 02/26/04 09:11 PM Anonymous posts
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Why is that the most recent posts have all come fron non-registered BOLers? For those that post anonymously, I think you will receiver a faster reply if we know who is asking the question? I for one, hestitate to answer a post if the person is not registered. In some cases, it may be wise to post anonymously, but lately it is the norm instead of the exception.

BOL is awesome and registration is free...so why not take register?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#164401 - 02/26/04 10:09 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Why is that the most recent posts have all come fron non-registered BOLers? For those that post anonymously, I think you will receiver a faster reply if we know who is asking the question? I for one, hestitate to answer a post if the person is not registered. In some cases, it may be wise to post anonymously, but lately it is the norm instead of the exception.

BOL is awesome and registration is free...so why not take register?

I'm thinking that you are mistaken, in that a lot of registered posters (regularly) sign off to post questions as they are either embarrassed to ask or they don't want the issue traced back to them or for some other reason. Registered posters also sign off to post responses, as well. So you never really know if a anon post is from a registered user or not.

My feeling is that no one should ID themselves on BOL as it's a public forum and there are all kinds of strange people out there and some strange people here, as well.

With that said, it's great to have a place where you can anonymously receive well thought out responses to some really lame questions that often turn out to be not lame at all. You are overrating the value of registration as registration can result in evaluation and cliquish-type behavior, at least occasionally - especially if you register and ID yourself in your bio.

Return to Top
#164402 - 02/26/04 10:56 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Anonymous
Unregistered

My good friend, Paragon, as usual, is once again able to articulate a reasonable and accurate response. While I and most others would agree that registering a user name and formalizing your identity is viewed as being more kind and gentler, I don't find that registered responders are in all cases necessarily more knowledgeable than unregistered responders. Absent the "guru"-level people and experienced threadsters, sometimes a well-recognized, registered respondent is the same ones that spend most of their time in the cooler or on the couch. As Paragon once aptly said: The mere number of one's posts is not an indicator of competence or knowledge and, very often, those who are most vociferous in arguing for an anon to "register" usually means they haven't a clue anyway. Anyone can spot a well-written, sincere request, versus a poorly written request. When a registered responder demands "registration", this is usually just a way of masking the absence of knowledge -- while at the same time promoting clubiness. If the intent was to exclude unregistered (i.e., anonymous) contributers, then there are means available for the webmaster to enact this restriction.

Those who have it go stealth.

Return to Top
#164403 - 02/26/04 10:57 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
People hide behind anonymous for a number of valid reasons as well as bad ones.

Taking the opposite position anonymous posts often ask sensetive security questions which should not be answered publicly. Its easier to respond if you know who the person is and that they are a legitimate banker. As stated there are some strange people out there.

Registered users can access features Unregistered cannot. You cannot send a PM to an anonymous poster. Knowing the source of a Post or response can give credence to the post.

Registered users are no more cliquish than non registered users and anonymous posters are as apt to display childish behavior as those that are.

Some vendors abuse the anonymouse title in order to ask a fake question about their product and obtain free advertising, or take shots at a competitor product.

IMO it pays to be very cautious about answering a post from anonymous on any policy or sensetive issue. Its a good thing to form sound business associations with people you can identify.

Return to Top
#164404 - 02/27/04 12:01 AM Re: Anonymous posts
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

My good friend, Paragon, as usual, is once again able to articulate a reasonable and accurate response.

Those who have it go stealth.

WOW - thanks for the compliment anon and the interesting stealth comment. Clubiness is also a good way to put the occasional circle the wagons activity around here, although I’m not sure that it’s an actual dictionary type word – but the meaning comes through loud and clear.

As Don noted above, there are a few benefits to registration, but he excluded the Club part, in that if you fully ID yourself, there is some sort of private question “club” that you can participate in – I’m not sure how it works, but I do know that membership is not one of my interests.

Return to Top
#164405 - 02/27/04 03:46 AM Re: Anonymous posts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ray:

Are you talking to yourself again ?

Return to Top
#164406 - 02/27/04 02:05 PM Re: Anonymous posts
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

Ray:

Are you talking to yourself again ?

I almost fell out of my chair laughing so hard! I think you nailed it.

Return to Top
#164407 - 02/27/04 03:45 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Thanks for confirming my point: First: I'm not the subject anon, but yes - even Guru's sign off and post to themselves (as you have done); Second: once you are nailed by a "clubiness" member, they are relentless in an effort to disrespect you as a poster, so it’s best not to register, but especially not to ID yourself.

Clubiness posts are easily recognized, as they are basically: babble, balderdash, blah blah, blather, bunkum, chatter, claptrap, double talk, drivel, gabble, gobbledygook, Greek, hocus-pocus, jabber, jabberwocky, jargon, magic, mumbo jumbo, palaver, prattle, scat, twaddle and yammer, but primarily gibberish and nonsense.

But, life is short, so who cares!

Return to Top
#164408 - 02/27/04 04:01 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Quote:

So why do you feel compelled to keep responding?

Return to Top
#164409 - 02/27/04 04:02 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info.one of the qeustions was from me and I am extremely new at Auditing and using the this site.

Return to Top
#164410 - 02/27/04 04:11 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
There are several sites out there, including BOL, that have some great audit programs. Although I wouldn't consider us "clubby" since we registered, it is a nice feature and you would be surprised at how many people interact together and it is the networking that is great.

Try Auditnet or your regulator's website as well. BOL also has a great search tool that you can enter in what you are looking for to see if it was discussed/shared previously. Good luck!

Return to Top
#164411 - 02/27/04 04:15 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Quote:

Quote:

So why do you feel compelled to keep responding?

Kiwi: Are you married to Daniel?

Return to Top
#164412 - 02/27/04 04:15 PM Re: Anonymous posts
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
One of the concerns about divulging information to an anonymous poster is that as auditors we are privy to the internal control processes within banking. I feel that many of these questions have been posted with legitimacy and a need to know the information to conduct their jobs. However, we also want to be prudent about the type of information we discuss and reveal in an open forum.

As Kiwi mentioned, if a registered user asks a question that may be more sensitive in nature then we have the ability to send information via Private Messaging as opposed to openly discussing it in the forums. Many times I have private messaged new posters and requested an email address to forward information. This provides me with a comfort level that I feel the information is actually going to another banker.

We are all here to help one another with day to day questions. This is not an easy job we have and we rely on as many resources we can to perform our jobs proficiently. This forum is valuable and I try to contribute as much as I gain from it.

So, for new posters, just realize that it will aide us in helping you if you do register - especially if the nature of your question could reveal internal controls of a bank. If the question is pretty generic then maybe you will find you receive more responses.

In my opinion, the more auditors we have on these boards the better!

Return to Top
#164413 - 02/27/04 04:30 PM Re: Anonymous posts
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Hey fellow club members! and Ray... (Wow, what a compliment....LOLOLOLOL)

Return to Top
#164414 - 02/27/04 04:32 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Quote:

My feeling is that no one should ID themselves on BOL as it's a public forum and there are all kinds of strange people out there and some strange people here, as well.

Quote:

Kiwi: Are you married to Daniel?

Thanks for proving your point!

Return to Top
#164415 - 02/27/04 04:42 PM Re: Anonymous posts
KYAuditor Offline
100 Club
KYAuditor
Kentucky
For the benefit of those posting who are looking for answers whether anonymously or not, lets keep this thread from digressing further. If anyone wants to discuss who the posters are, it might be better suited to the Water Cooler or the Couch.

Return to Top
#164416 - 02/27/04 04:44 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Paragon, these club responses are the very drivel that we speak of. They are the responses from those who are unable to decipher the distinction in our writing styles, yet, as always, the insecure members of the club immediately reference "Ray." Anyone in the know can see that we're coming from different traceroutes, different traffic paths, from different ISPs, and obviously from different geographic regions of the country.

Ray is an illusion. The name is used as a pejorative reference to anyone who writes well, raises substantive issues, attempts to share knowledge, or who is successful at raising and supporting a position. It's like when you walked by the bullies in high school: As a group they'd attack and appear unified; once alone they lacked courage and conviction.

The reference to Ray is a subtle badge of honor.

Return to Top
#164417 - 02/27/04 04:51 PM Re: Anonymous posts
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Paragon, these club responses are the very drivel that we speak of. They are the responses from those who are unable to decipher the distinction in our writing styles, yet, as always, the insecure members of the club immediately reference "Ray." Anyone in the know can see that we're coming from different traceroutes, different traffic paths, from different ISPs, and obviously from different geographic regions of the country.

Ray is an illusion. The name is used as a pejorative reference to anyone who writes well, raises substantive issues, attempts to share knowledge, or who is successful at raising and supporting a position. It's like when you walked by the bullies in high school: As a group they'd attack and appear unified; once alone they lacked courage and conviction.

The reference to Ray is a subtle badge of honor.

You're kidding, right? Gimme a break.....only Ray uses words like drivel and pejorative, and as far as the location issue....we aren't idiots Ray. Sorry to disappoint! Funny that you reference HS bullies. Three names come to mind from my past, and I wonder which one of the 3 jerks you are... Please just get lost, this is no honor for you.

Sorry guys, I'm Outta this one! I'll be at the bar getting plowed while I work on employee training.

Return to Top
#164418 - 02/27/04 05:20 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry guys, I'm Outta this one! I'll be at the bar getting plowed while I work on employee training.

This is precisely my point. This is perhaps the single-most contributor of hundreds of non-bank posts made solely to seek the club's unending adulation. The loud-picture, see-my-long-name, here-I-am-again, wizard-behind-the-curtain girl.

Return to Top
#164419 - 02/27/04 05:25 PM Re: Anonymous posts
downstown Offline
Gold Star
St. Louis, MO
Quote:

I'll be at the bar

Don't you mean Club instead of bar?

Return to Top
#164420 - 02/27/04 05:37 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

the single-most contributor of hundreds of non-bank posts

more like thousands

Return to Top
#164421 - 02/27/04 05:39 PM Re: Anonymous posts
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

Anyone in the know can see that we're coming from different traceroutes, different traffic paths, from different ISPs, and obviously from different geographic regions of the country.

Anon,
Are you in the know? You must be, because the rest of us cannot determine either of your locations, yet you seem to have enough of an idea about both your location and Paragon's that you can draw the above conclusion.

Return to Top
#164422 - 02/27/04 05:44 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Anon, would you please register so that I can put your User name on the "ignore user" list as well?
Thank you.

Return to Top
#164423 - 02/27/04 06:03 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
WOW, again anon - I'm humbled by your writing skills and the level of insight that you bring to the table. The Wench stuff is priceless and right on the money – although “clueless” would have been a good word to fit in.

I’ve proved my point to Kiwi, as noted by her. I could have posted more personal data, but that’s not the way to go. It’s always possible for someone to become fascinated with someone on the web and that person, in a worst-case scenario, can turn into a stalker. This is just food for thought.

Actually, even my current avatar could attract some people – I just don’t want any of those people showing up at my house!

One thing is for sure, it cannot be a bad thing to have the cooler crowd looking at Audit threads!

Return to Top
#164424 - 02/27/04 06:05 PM Re: Anonymous posts
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I can't hear you...

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2