Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1645837 - 01/04/12 04:22 PM Richard Cordray appointment
MyScamper Offline
Gold Star
Between here and there
As reported by the Chicago Tribune:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama plans to use a recess appointment to install Richard Cordray as head of the country's new consumer financial protection watchdog, sidestepping Republican congressional opposition to his pick.

"Today in Ohio, President Obama will announce the recess appointment of consumer watchdog Richard Cordray," White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer announced in a tweet.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau was created by the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial oversight law to police the market for consumer products such as credit cards and mortgages.

Republicans have charged the agency is a regulatory overreach, and last month they blocked an attempt by the Senate to confirm Cordray, a former Ohio attorney general, to be the bureau's first director.

The decision to bypass the Senate and appoint Cordray to the job will further inflame partisan tensions between Republicans and Democrats in advance of the November elections.

Return to Top
#1645884 - 01/04/12 05:35 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster

Return to Top
#1645901 - 01/04/12 05:29 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
MyScamper - just read that on the Trib too. Unbelievable!

Carl Pry is probably freaking out right now! smile

Return to Top
#1645924 - 01/04/12 05:50 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=pda5abdab&...pNNZ2PDtT_t1t3x

Top GOP Senator defends the decision to block the nomination...

Return to Top
#1645927 - 01/04/12 05:52 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
http://pymnts.com/regulations/cfpb/-President-Should-Stand-Down-on-CFPB-Says-Commerce-Leader/

U.S. Chamber of Commerce leader says President should stand down on this appointment, saying the new agency is deeply flawed...

Return to Top
#1646074 - 01/04/12 08:35 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment Pale Rider
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
Here's Director Cordray's first post on the CFPB blog. http://www.consumerfinance.gov/standing-up-for-consumers/

Return to Top
#1646109 - 01/04/12 08:56 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
What is going to be great is watching Cordray being his run for Ohio governorship while heading this agency. Can't wait for the press conferences announcing actions against big banks, making sure he is seen as "defending the middle class".

What would stop him from hiring 50,000 employees at this agency?

Return to Top
#1646270 - 01/05/12 01:57 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment straw
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Here is Bloomberg News's take on the appointment: Obama Chooses Politics Over Principle.

Expect more of the same from BO. According to Bloomberg, he's got 181 appointments awaiting confirmation.

Return to Top
#1646287 - 01/05/12 02:09 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment Sinatra Fan
Sewanee, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
TN
I have to wonder why this isn't bigger news in the main stream media. Could be Iowa and the upcoming primaries overshadow?

Return to Top
#1646303 - 01/05/12 02:23 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment Sewanee, CRCM
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
I think it is because people don't realize what happened. Even here at my bank -no one is freaking out about it.

Return to Top
#1646308 - 01/05/12 02:25 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment Tesla
Tater Offline
Platinum Poster
Missouri
Originally Posted By: Slave
I think it is because people don't realize what happened. Even here at my bank -no one is freaking out about it.

Even if it's just for a year, I think we all should be. In theory, based on a strict reading of the Constitutional powers of the Executive Branch, the Supreme Court COULD step in and remove all of the "recess" appointments from yesterday, both Cordray and the three to NLRB.

Loan Review, HMDA, ALLL

Opinions are my own and do not reflect any others

Return to Top
#1646339 - 01/05/12 02:43 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
that is what will happen. The President does not have the power to decide when Congress, a co-equal branch of government is "really" in session. This is purely political, the administration expects the appointmentees to be removed and then they will campaign against the obstructionist congress. Post-partisanship at its finest.

Return to Top
#1646534 - 01/05/12 05:02 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Happy New Year,

As the new Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and as someone who has been helping to build the Bureau for about a year now, I can tell you it's an extraordinary privilege to work on behalf of American consumers.

Consumers like you. Tell your story.
https://help.consumerfinance.gov/app/tellyourstory

In our first six months, our team at the Bureau has been answering calls and reading stories from hundreds of American consumers every week. Their stories illustrate the kinds of issues people are dealing with around the country.

These things can happen to anyone. We are not talking about some impersonal abstraction, not about somebody "else." We are talking about each one of us. We're talking about our mothers and fathers, our sisters and brothers, our sons and daughters. Regular people who are trying to make the right choices for themselves and their families.

We've heard from people like Rebecca from North Carolina. She told us she missed a mortgage payment nine months after her husband lost his job. In the two years since then, her mortgage servicer has increased her payments even though she entered a trial modification in an effort to lower her monthly payments. The servicer has charged her monthly fees for inspections and appraisals that she never asked for and she believes have never occurred, all while repeatedly threatening her with foreclosure unless she shells out more money in unexplained fees. Rebecca has frantically complied with all of these demands because she is afraid of foreclosure and so is doing whatever she can to stay in her home.

Tell us your story at https://help.consumerfinance.gov/app/tellyourstory

With the stakes so high, consumers need to be able to fully understand the costs and risks of borrowing on credit, and they need to be able to comparison shop for the best deal. Consumers deserve to have someone who will stand on their side, who will protect them against fraud, and who will ensure they are treated fairly. The new Consumer Bureau was created to make sure that these things are achieved for all Americans. The good news is that we have already gotten started.

Over time, we will judge the success of our efforts by considering whether consumers are treated more fairly and with more clarity and candor in the financial marketplace. We deeply believe that we must hear from Americans about their experiences.

Can you share your experience?
https://help.consumerfinance.gov/app/tellyourstory

Think about your own family members. Like all of us, they want to be able to use consumer credit to make their lives better, not worse. That is our goal as well. The financial marketplace can be a potent arena that helps people find and seize opportunity, not condemn them to bewildering failure. By working every day to protect consumers, we will help to fashion a more resilient economy and a stronger country. Join us; work with us; help us make it so.

Thank you,
Richard Cordray
Director
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

I honestly don't think I shoulr reply to his email! LOL

Return to Top
#1646547 - 01/05/12 05:12 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
You were a minute quicker than I. smile
I dumped the other post.

Return to Top
#1646558 - 01/05/12 05:32 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Yep, got it too.

I don't think he wants to hear what I really think smirk

Return to Top
#1646559 - 01/05/12 05:32 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
Truffle Royale Online

10K Club
So...Cordray is in and rifles through all kinds of stuff in the say, six months, before the Supreme Court dumps him. Does what he does stand? Or does it get dumped with him? BO must really be feeling the one term pressure if he's down to pulling stunts like this.

and Slave, Carl's reaction was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard this too.

Return to Top
#1646575 - 01/05/12 05:48 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment Truffle Royale
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
I have an avalanche of emails from the CFPB in my inbox today. Clearly they are coming out of the gates quickly. I can only imagine what the next year will look like with CFPB issuances...

Return to Top
#1646615 - 01/05/12 06:10 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment EmilyAnn
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
Any ideas on what I can do to get on the e-mail list? I've entered my info into the website...nothing stuck in the filter....am I missing some place where bankers can sign up?

Return to Top
#1646637 - 01/05/12 06:20 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment MyScamper
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Press conference coming up in about 20 mins, I'm going to tune in, mostly out of curiosity. May be interesting, probably just going to make me sad.

Return to Top
#1646652 - 01/05/12 06:32 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment Cornfed Turtle
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: Cornfed Turtle
Any ideas on what I can do to get on the e-mail list? I've entered my info into the website...nothing stuck in the filter....am I missing some place where bankers can sign up?

Aha! That's it, the site knows you are a banker and not a consumer and won't let you in! laugh

Return to Top
#1646688 - 01/05/12 06:59 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment SMQ, CRCM
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: SoccerMomQueen
Yep, got it too.

I don't think he wants to hear what I really think smirk

I told him I look forward to watching his Ohio gubernatorial campaign begin from the CFPB.

Return to Top
#1646689 - 01/05/12 06:59 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment Cornfed Turtle
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
I signed up on the CFPB website. I'm not sure why it isn't sticking for you. Aside from checking your junk email filter, I guess you'll have to keep trying...

Return to Top
#1646695 - 01/05/12 07:02 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment Matt_B
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
Press conference coming up in about 20 mins, I'm going to tune in, mostly out of curiosity. May be interesting, probably just going to make me sad.

Well, it seemed like it was talking 11:00 PST, which would have been 20 mins ago as far as I'm aware...

Tuned in and all I got was footage from 2000 with Gore, and Fat Boy Slim music playing...I'm thinking somebody lied to me!

Return to Top
#1646730 - 01/05/12 07:33 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment straw
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
Re: the gubernatorial campaign

Reading his blog posts and other messages, he sure sounds like he is campaigning. He might as well be photographed kissing a baby right after he talks about Rebecca from North Carolina...

Return to Top
#1646738 - 01/05/12 07:44 PM Re: Richard Cordray appointment Truffle Royale
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
I don't think the Supreme Court can or will do anything about it. I don't mean to sound super negative, but the President's appointments to the Supreme Court will turn a blind eye, I believe, plus when would something like this get on their docket?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z