Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1647382 - 01/06/12 05:56 PM Reg E transactions for interim statement
Marqann1 Offline
New Poster
Do PC transfers done from the customer's home pc or telephone transfers initiated by the customer from one of their accounts to another at the same institution count as a REG E transaction, requiring it to have a monthly interim statement? The savings statement is currently set to generate quarterly, and our system does not count these "internal transfers" as a Reg E transaction.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1647488 - 01/06/12 07:17 PM Re: Reg E transactions for interim statement Marqann1
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
Your answer lies here I think...

(b) Electronic fund transfer —(1) Definition . The term electronic fund transfer means any transfer of funds that is initiated through an electronic terminal, telephone, computer, or magnetic tape for the purpose of ordering, instructing, or authorizing a financial institution to debit or credit a consumer's account. The term includes, but is not limited to—

(i) Point-of-sale transfers;

(ii) Automated teller machine transfers;

(iii) Direct deposits or withdrawals of funds;

(iv) Transfers initiated by telephone; and

(v) Transfers resulting from debit card transactions, whether or not initiated through an electronic terminal.

Preauthorized transactions may be exempted per the definition here:

2(k) Preauthorized Electronic Fund Transfer

1. Advance authorization. A “preauthorized electronic fund transfer” under Regulation E is one authorized by the consumer in advance of a transfer that will take place on a recurring basis, at substantially regular intervals, and will require no further action by the consumer to initiate the transfer. In a bill-payment system, for example, if the consumer authorizes a financial institution to make monthly payments to a payee by means of EFTs, and the payments take place without further action by the consumer, the payments are preauthorized EFTs. In contrast, if the consumer must take action each month to initiate a payment (such as by entering instructions on a touch-tone telephone or home computer), the payments are not preauthorized EFTs.

IMO though I would say they are Reg E transfers by virtue of the fact that they are funds electronically transferred from one account to another... without being preauthorized to occur on a regular basis.

Cheers!

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1652532 - 01/18/12 11:26 PM Re: Reg E transactions for interim statement Marqann1
Elana Offline
New Poster
Wyoming
I know I'm a newbie and all, but I would have to say no - they are excluded from Reg. E coverage. See §205.3(c)(5) & (6):

(5) Automatic transfers by account-holding institution. Any transfer of funds under an agreement between a consumer and a financial institution which provides that the institution will initiate individual transfers without a specific request from the consumer:

(i) Between a consumer's accounts within the financial institution;

(ii) From a consumer's account to an account of a member of the consumer's family held in the same financial institution; or

(iii) Between a consumer's account and an account of the financial institution, except that these transfers remain subject to Sec. 205.10(e) regarding compulsory use and sections 915 and 916 of the act regarding civil and criminal liability.

(6) Telephone-initiated transfers. Any transfer of funds that:

(i) Is initiated by a telephone communication between a consumer and a financial institution making the transfer; and

(ii) Does not take place under a telephone bill-payment or other written plan in which periodic or recurring transfers are contemplated.

Return to Top
#1652535 - 01/18/12 11:47 PM Re: Reg E transactions for interim statement Marqann1
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
They would be covered as, in your quotation of the regulation in 5, the computer initiated transfers are not those that the institution will initiate without a specific request from the consumer.

For the telephone transfers in 6, they are not between a consumer and a financial institution.

However, there is an exception:

9(c) Exceptions to the Periodic Statement Requirements for Certain Accounts

1. Transfers between accounts. The regulation provides an exception from the periodic statement requirement for certain intra-institutional transfers between a consumer's accounts. The financial institution must still comply with the applicable periodic statement requirements for any other EFTs to or from the account. For example, a Regulation E statement must be provided quarterly for an account that also receives payroll deposits electronically, or for any month in which an account is also accessed by a withdrawal at an ATM.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett