Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1652991 - 01/19/12 05:47 PM Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit
Random Offline
Gold Star
Is it possible to qualify hospitals under community services to LMI individuals if they do not serve more than 50% LMI persons?

Return to Top
CRA
#1652998 - 01/19/12 05:53 PM Re: Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit Random
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
What kind of community service is a banker doing at the hospital? The banker must be using banking expertise to get CD service credit.

I have seen CD investment credit as a donation to the hospital's foundation to support a program to pay for indigent patients. That would be a program serving LMI, but this is investment credit, not service credit.

Return to Top
#1653009 - 01/19/12 05:59 PM Re: Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit Random
Random Offline
Gold Star
Agree, however, I mosting looking from a CD loan point of view. Can the loan to the hospital qualify for CD loan credit if the hospital serves less than 50% LMI?

Return to Top
#1653037 - 01/19/12 06:15 PM Re: Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit Random
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Not in my opinion. The hospital does not have as its mission to serve primarily LMI.

Now if the loan purpose was to support the hospital in a new focus of serving primarily LMI, maybe building a satellite office in an LMI census tract, or on an indian reservation, that might work for CD loan credit.

Return to Top
#1729192 - 08/09/12 03:30 PM Re: Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit Pale Rider
Sheldon Gack Offline
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
What kind of community service is a banker doing at the hospital? The banker must be using banking expertise to get CD service credit.

I have seen CD investment credit as a donation to the hospital's foundation to support a program to pay for indigent patients. That would be a program serving LMI, but this is investment credit, not service credit.

Pale Rider - Do I understand you that a donation to our local hospital's charitable care program which covers expenses for indigent patients would count as an investment credit?

Return to Top
#1729222 - 08/09/12 04:10 PM Re: Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit Random
Khaleesi Offline
Khaleesi
Old Valeria
Random- if your question is regarding community development loan credit. I think you need to dig more if you are looking for CDL credit.
I just got our examiners to accept a loan to build a new hospital in a non- low/mod area.
The current hospital had deteriorated. However it was deemed a "critical access hospital" by the state which worked in my favor. I presented it as if the bank had not funded the loan the healthcare in the area would be underserved. There was more I presented such as job retention/creation too.

Return to Top
#1729225 - 08/09/12 04:14 PM Re: Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit Random
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
Another angle to consider...is the loan creating an additional department or wing that would create jobs?

Return to Top
#1729344 - 08/09/12 06:03 PM Re: Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit Bullseye
Sheldon Gack Offline
This is not a loan. I am curious if it could apply as a community development investment as Pale Rider mentioned. Our local hospital said it had been approached by another bank about doing this.

Return to Top
#1729600 - 08/10/12 02:04 PM Re: Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit Random
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Yes, if you make the donation to the Hospital's foundation, a non-profit, to specifically support LMI patients, you should be able to get CRA investment credit.

Return to Top
#1729634 - 08/10/12 02:39 PM Re: Hospitals for Community Service to LMI Credit Random
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I agree with PR. Donations that are earmarked for LMI programs are eligible for CRA credit. I always found putting restrictions on the donations, and getting documentation of how the donation was used, goes a long way to get credit.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top