Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1653822 - 01/20/12 07:33 PM AAN
dac Offline
100 Club
If we pulled credit and received a credit score yet it was not used in our decision to decline the loan do we need to fill in credit score and factors on the Adverse Action Notice?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1653839 - 01/20/12 07:53 PM Re: AAN dac
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
No.

Return to Top
#1653840 - 01/20/12 07:40 PM Re: AAN dac
Libby M. Offline
Platinum Poster
Mississippi, USA
If your reason for denial did not pertain to the information obatained in the credit report - such as insufficient collateral - then you do not include the credit bureau information on your AAN.

Return to Top
#1653870 - 01/20/12 07:58 PM Re: AAN raitchjay
dac Offline
100 Club
I thought so. We denied a loan because we could not verify income. However during a recent review, we were told that there would be no way for the bank to argue that the score was not also a factor if credit was pulled. They said best practice add it the the AAN.

Return to Top
#1653890 - 01/20/12 08:12 PM Re: AAN dac
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
There are two issues to consider with regard to your question.

The first is whether the FCRA section of the AAN would be required at all. If you denied a loan because you couldn't verify income and you did NOT use the credit report in making your credit decision, then you would not fill out any part of the FCRA section of the AAN (including the credit score section).

The second is whether you include the credit score IF you used the credit report in making your credit decision. The argument that I have heard, and agree with, is that if you DO use the credit report to make your credit decision, AND the credit score is provided with the credit report, then you would complete the FCRA section of the AAN and you would also include the credit score. The argument is that if you used the credit report and it had the score, how can you argue that the credit score was not used. It's better, in those cases where you actually used the credit report, to disclose the credit score.

Return to Top
#1653909 - 01/20/12 08:37 PM Re: AAN dac
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: dac
However during a recent review, we were told that there would be no way for the bank to argue that the score was not also a factor if credit was pulled. They said best practice add it the the AAN.

I disagree strongly. So if i pull a credit report and the applicant has an 820 score, yet i deny because of collateral value, i'm supposed to go ahead and disclose the score (and thereby indicate that information in the credit report helped lead to the denial)?

Return to Top
#1653917 - 01/20/12 08:29 PM Re: AAN raitchjay
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
Raitchjay, I agree with you if the suggestion is that no matter what, if a credit report was pulled the FCRA disclosure should be disclosed no matter what. It is crystal clear IMO that you do not automatically provide the FCRA disclosure just because credit was pulled - you must actually USE the report.

But if you do use the report AND the report contained the credit score, you should complete the FCRA section of the AAN and include the credit score disclosure.

Return to Top
#1653919 - 01/20/12 08:45 PM Re: AAN EmilyAnn
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: EmilyAnn
Raitchjay, I agree with you if the suggestion is that no matter what, if a credit report was pulled the FCRA disclosure should be disclosed no matter what. It is crystal clear IMO that you do not automatically provide the FCRA disclosure just because credit was pulled - you must actually USE the report.

But if you do use the report AND the report contained the credit score, you should complete the FCRA section of the AAN and include the credit score disclosure.

I agree 100%. That just doesn't sound like what dac's auditors are saying.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z