Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1654389 - 01/23/12 05:47 PM iPodmeister
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Has anyone used this service before? If you've had experience, good or bad, with using them, I'd love to hear about it.

Basically, you mail them hundreds of music CDs and they rip them (digitize them) and put them on DVDs for you and mail you back the DVDs and keep the CDs. They then re-sell your CDs and depending on how many CDs you sent them, you get gadgets (iPads, smartphones, Kindles, external hard drives) for "free". Shipping both ways is free, per their website.

It almost sounds too good to be true, so my practical/skeptical Capricorn nature is kicking in. Let me know if you've used the service. Thanks!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1654397 - 01/23/12 05:38 PM Re: iPodmeister BurntSienna
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
It is my understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that it is illegal to own digital copies of CDs unless you own the actual CD.

Return to Top
#1654398 - 01/23/12 05:52 PM Re: iPodmeister BurntSienna
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
How many cd's do you have?
How many do you have that have the original album art work and case?

Return to Top
#1654459 - 01/23/12 06:37 PM Re: iPodmeister GuitarDude
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
It is my understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that it is illegal to own digital copies of CDs unless you own the actual CD.
Not exactly true. You can also get a license for music you've never owned a physical copy of. (i.e. iTunes).

Return to Top
#1654476 - 01/23/12 06:49 PM Re: iPodmeister BurntSienna
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I liek having my own cds. I love having the paper booklet to browse and having them in my cd shelf.

If I was the kind of person who wasnt attached to actual CDs though, then why not do this to get rid of them? they do the work of ripping them and then you set stuff in return. Sounds liek a win-win.

Return to Top
#1654658 - 01/23/12 09:28 PM Re: iPodmeister BurntSienna
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I have roughly 3000 CDs. I own the original jewel case and original cover art/insert to all of them. I would like to pare down my collection by 10 or 20% to save the physical space. There are many CDs I would never part with the physical CD itself, but a whole bunch of CDs I own that I only really care about one or two songs and I don't mind not owning the physical CD any longer. So, this service seemed perfect for me, as I didn't want to spend the time ripping all that music myself to iTunes or something. If someone else will do the work and mail me DVDs with the songs on them, and I can get a free external hard drive and recoup some physical space in my home, I see it as a win-win. smile I was just hoping someone had used iPodmeister before and could confirm they were a reputable company that did what they say they will do, before I go shipping my CDs off to them.

I purchased each and every one of these CDs individually over the years. I paid full price for them (so the artist got paid) and I can rip them myself to (for example) iTunes and then sell my CDs at a garage sale and retain the digital songs, so what's the difference from a legal standpoint if I allow someone else to rip the songs to DVDs and mail them back to me? I don't see this as a legal issue since I paid for the music in full. I am not violating any copywrights by ripping music I own and paid for to iTunes, so how would this be a legal issue?

Return to Top
#1654678 - 01/23/12 09:46 PM Re: iPodmeister BurntSienna
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
3000 CDs to rip? Do you have any kids in the neighborhood who could use a few extra bucks? laugh

Return to Top