Thread Options
#1654851 - 01/24/12 02:32 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
ME TOO!

IMHO - it depends on the dog.

We had/have a Jack Russel- he was bought from a breeder, into a home that was not ready for the personality/energy of one. We got him from that home when he was 10 months old- still a puppy. He's now 6, and an [censored]hole. lol He loves us and loves our daughter, but his favorite pasttime is finding new ways to get out of the fenced in back yard. If he's in the house or in the yard he's fine with the girls (my daughter and her friends) but he has no patience with toddlers now that alyssa isn't one. And when he's not in the yard, and anyone but us tries to catch him, he tries to bite. He's a jerk.

I recently adopted a 4 year old doxy-beagle mix from the pound, and I'm pretty sure he was beaten. We've had him around 6 months, and for the first few if you raised your voice or even reached a hand out to him, he peed right where he was- several times on my bed. He's no longer allowed on my bed and as he's been with us longer he stopped doing that unless you really startle him, and he is the sweetest most loving thing you've ever seen. The only time I've even seen him growl was when my BFs 3 year old tripped and landed on him. I would have growled too. lol

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1654855 - 01/24/12 02:33 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? manimal
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
Originally Posted By: manimal82
cry

cry cry

Me too! I just can't stand to see animals abused. It just breaks my heart.

Return to Top
#1654865 - 01/24/12 02:42 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
What I hate about those commercials is that they make it look like every shelter animal arrives barely clinging to life. Not true. The vast majority are simply strays or are dropped off because their families either can't take care of them (too many to feed, etc.) or it wasn't a good match personality-wise. A LOT of them are dropped off by "breeders" whose prize whatever got knocked up by the neighborhood mongrel and they don't want to bother finding homes for the puppies (of course those are the lucky ones, a lot of breeders would just drown them at birth).

Sorry for the tirade.

My point is that not all shelter dogs are abuse cases. Took a 'round about way to get there, didn't I? crazy

Return to Top
#1655000 - 01/24/12 04:52 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
The commercials work though - we now donate monthly to North Shore Animal Rescue Leage and the ASPCA. Don't miss the money any more and it is going for a good cause.

Becca is right. My sister has an 11 year old mutt that she adopted at 5 or 6 years old. Inell was owned by an elderly woman who passed away. She has been a wonderful dog.

Return to Top
#1655012 - 01/24/12 05:07 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Do you really own a dog or do they own you?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1655025 - 01/24/12 05:20 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
You own dogs. Cats own you.

Return to Top
#1655029 - 01/24/12 05:24 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? B_F
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: B_F
Originally Posted By: Dip
I have to say this as a pound puppy owner AND a pet shop puppy owner.

When you adopt a pound dog, you adopt their problems. You don't knwo hwo they were raised, you don't know whats causing their issues and therefore do not knwo how to fix them. My pound dog pees on our bed and even her own bed. She doesnt do it often but at this point, we can't fix it--we're down to just having to wash the entire bed every few months. Not many people would put up with that. So just somethign to keep in mind...def a con to getting a rescue.

Dip, how is that different from a puppy shop puppy? When you buy a dog, not only do you still buy their problems, you also financially supporting inhumane treatment of animals, thus being RESPONSIBLE for the problems of many of the pound/rescue puppies.

PS: You can fix it. It's just not easy. Crate train her.

Crate traingin doesn't work on a dog that (a) will happily pee in her bed, and (b) will do everythign she can to NOT pee in front of you. She knows to go outside and pee in the dog run--she does thsi every monring when we let her out of her crate and she does it every time we come home (she had excitement peepee issues so we got her in the habit of goign pee as soon as we come home). She also goes in the dog run when we tell her to go peepee (but she often will just go out there and stand). She just has this weird issue of randomly peeing on our bed, her bed, or a rug (total waste of doing hard flooring, stupid dog!). We don't knwo why she does it, she's nto consistent about it to even give us a clue. All we can think is somethgin happened to her in her year of life before we got her and she will probably NEVER get over it. Most other people woudl make her an outside dog or take her back to the pound. I won't because she's sweet and I will just clean up when she pees....but I will def think twice next time I get a dog. I want a puppy so I am in control of how it's raised, and puppies aren't super easy to get at the shelters cuz everyone else wants puppies too.

Return to Top
#1655034 - 01/24/12 05:30 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
Dip- Have you tried DAP? It is the dog "pheromones" that is supposed to help with issues like you are having with your baby.
Sounds like maybe she was abused when she had an accident inside the house, so she thinks if you see her pee, you are going to spank her or punish her.

Return to Top
#1655037 - 01/24/12 05:31 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Have you checked the dog for medical conditions?

oh wait a valid response to a post

Hvae yup cehcked teh dgo ofr mdeical cnoditoins?

much better

CAMS

Return to Top
#1655054 - 01/24/12 05:41 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Yes...they checked for a bladder infection and kidney stones I think. Nothing wrong.

I spent A LOT of time workign with her. Keeping her attached to me to force her to pee in front of me, then praising her and giving her treats when she did. It helped some but didn't fix the problem. I actually stooped to sending this to Cesar Milan's website for an answer, btu they didn't reply (they get thousands of questiosn and onyl answer liek 2 a month or something?). Honestly, there is NOTHING in her environment now that anyoen would think is a factor for this continuing issue. She's more liekly to pee in teh house whaen it's rained, btu then she'll do it out of the blue no rain too.

Return to Top
#1655067 - 01/24/12 06:03 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
We have had purebreed mini doxies that were wonderful with children, but hated any other kind of animal. Their temperment depends on how they are brought up and with one being chewed by a big dog, I myself was tense around other animals with them.

We now have a terrier/chihauhau mix that was abused and was being taken care of by a friend that had removed her from a home. We got her when she was 1.5 years old and yesterday she turned 4. She in general does not like men, but is getting past that. She doesn't like brooms or certain perfumes either. If you touch her one side she will nip at you and will nip if she doesn't want to be touched...but has never actually bitten anyone. She is the best dog and I am so happy she found us. If you take the tuft of hair on her head and spike it she looks like Spike from the Gremlins and she has been referred to as catdog for a while too.

Good luck on looking for the right dog for your family.

Return to Top
#1655098 - 01/24/12 06:40 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Dip, there are doggie diapers you could try with her. I've seen both disposable and cloth (washable), and if you need more absorbancy you can add a feminine pad.

Return to Top
#1655100 - 01/24/12 06:27 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? hmdagal
A_G Offline
10K Club
It's kinda of funny because when those commericals come on I have to turn the channel because it's so sad. Yet when the ones come on about children, I ignore them as business as usual. eek

Unless it's teh Alyssa Milano one - that one I watch. grin

Return to Top
#1655124 - 01/24/12 06:55 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I don't want to make her wear diapers all the time when she has accidents every couple months.

Return to Top
#1655128 - 01/24/12 06:59 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? hmdagal
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
Originally Posted By: hmdagal
Dip, there are doggie diapers you could try with her. I've seen both disposable and cloth (washable), and if you need more absorbancy you can add a feminine pad.

Not diaper hmdagal, in my house we call it "Jasper's karate belt". Being the only male with a harem around him all day, he either wears that or crated. Diaper has a sour conotation and feminine pad is also a no-no. It's called a pee pee pad, thank you very much. smirk

Return to Top
#1655150 - 01/24/12 07:39 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
My kids reallllly want a dog. I'm more of a cat person. While we won't be getting a dog in the next few months, it is something I'm kind of thinking about for down the road.

Someone suggested a Yorkie, but I *really* don't like small yappy dogs. At. All. (So no Chihuahuas either, or Pomeranians, etc.)

And being that we live in Texas, the dog can't stay outside in the summer either - at least not during the day. So maybe something medium sized - ish that could handle being inside a lot?

I like Corgis, but we have stairs to the second level - would that be a problem for Corgis?

And obviously, the dog would need to be good with kids. smile

Not sure if this was already said but...

If your kids really want a dog, you should tell them you got them a dog, get them all excited, then give them each a hot dog.

Return to Top
#1655173 - 01/24/12 07:58 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? The Minion
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Originally Posted By: Devil Minion
Originally Posted By: hmdagal

Not diaper hmdagal, in my house we call it "Jasper's karate belt". Being the only male with a harem around him all day, he either wears that or crated. Diaper has a sour conotation and feminine pad is also a no-no. It's called a pee pee pad, thank you very much. smirk

got it! blush

Return to Top
#1655190 - 01/24/12 07:54 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
Silly hmdagal! crazy

I knew you would understand. grin

Return to Top
#1655193 - 01/24/12 07:56 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? Dip
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas

When you adopt a pound dog, you adopt their problems. You don't knwo hwo they were raised, you don't know whats causing their issues and therefore do not knwo how to fix them. My pound dog pees on our bed and even her own bed. She doesnt do it often but at this point, we can't fix it--we're down to just having to wash the entire bed every few months. Not many people would put up with that. So just somethign to keep in mind...def a con to getting a rescue.[/quote]

I have to agree on this...we adopted a Schnazuer and we don't know how long she had been ou the streets when she was rescued...she is such a sweet girl, but can get very visicous with our sons Schnazuer and our other dogs and cats when it comes to food or one of them trying to get around me (I was the one who brought her home and she attached herself to me).

I have a rescued Boxer he is very sweet and gentle, but he came straight from a home to the pound (he and his brother got in trouble for playing and chasing with the farmers cows).

My son bought his Schnazuer and she is an absolute sweetheart, we also raise and have 4 muggins (they are a cross between and Mini-Pinscher and a Pug) they are smaller and I would Def recommend them...they love to play and love their owners and they do have a lot of energy..but also love to cuddle.

Return to Top
#1655322 - 01/24/12 10:10 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
uncle_milty_too Offline
New Poster
uncle_milty_too
I've had pets all my life, and we currently have a dog and a cat, both that came from a rescue organization. They are the best pets I ever had. A few months back my family decided to become a foster family for the organization. Right now there are two more dogs and another cat with us. We've had eight dogs adopted over the time. They were all mutts, mostly puppies, and all were wonderful with my kids and the other animals. Obviously puppies need training and have accidents. The cat is older but is also quite sweet, and he actually loves to snuggle with and groom the dogs that have passed through our house. I highly recommend going the rescue route, you can get a terrific pet that has been carefully checked out and save its life in the process.

Return to Top
#1655393 - 01/25/12 05:11 AM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? kitten
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: kitten

I believe it goes - Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Return to Top
#1655406 - 01/25/12 12:25 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
It does, but that wasn't the question. smile

Return to Top
#1655450 - 01/25/12 01:55 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? Princess Romeo
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo
Originally Posted By: kitten

I believe it goes - Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Are you really trying to correct a kitten? Don't you know that just leads to vengence in the form of sharp nails while you're sleeping?

Return to Top
#1655451 - 01/25/12 01:56 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
whistle

Return to Top
#1655511 - 01/25/12 02:32 PM Re: What kind of dog would you suggest? E.E.G.B
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I guess the lesson learned here from all of our experiences is to just be sure you are truly ready for a pet. And by ready, I mean financially, physically, and emotionally.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9