Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Reply Thread Options
#1655407 - 01/25/12 12:39 PM Job moving advice...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an interview next week for a job that pays almost double what I make right now. I'll need to take half a day off work to go and I am not sure how to tell my manager. Obviously, I don't want them to know, should I just call in that day or anyone have any advice? Never been through this before.

thanks

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1655409 - 01/25/12 12:46 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Does your manager need to be told why if you want to take a 1/2 day off work? If you have vacation time or PTO, then you just request the time off. No explanations needed.

#1655413 - 01/25/12 12:45 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
And if they say why, tell them you have some personal matters to take care of.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

#1655633 - 01/25/12 04:11 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I highly doubt that you can even get half of that anticipated double. It just doesn't work that way. You are lucky if you could pull off a 15% increase. Good luck!

#1655639 - 01/25/12 04:29 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Sometimes, it does work that way, if in the current position, Original Anon is vastly underpaid. wink

Good luck, Original Anon. I agree with Kathleen. Simply say you have some personal matters to attend to and need some time away from the office. If they pry further than that, I would simply smile and remain silent for a moment, then repeat that it's some private business matters.

#1655640 - 01/25/12 04:16 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

To elaborate if you're currently making $40K, you should expect an offer in the range of $45K to $48K from your prospect. No employer will EVER offer you $70K given your current salary if that's what you're thinking.

#1655648 - 01/25/12 04:20 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I once doubled my salary. The increase was exactly 50% and was increased again shortly thereafter. Salary compression at former employer kept the former salary down, hence the move. The 50% would have been more but had to be staged to fit new employer restrictions.

#1655737 - 01/25/12 05:19 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
To elaborate if you're currently making $40K, you should expect an offer in the range of $45K to $48K from your prospect. No employer will EVER offer you $70K given your current salary if that's what you're thinking.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but how is your prospective employer going to know what you currently make?

I got a 40% raise from my current employer a couple of years ago. I know 40% sounds like alot, and I am very thankful, however, it amounted to somewhere $8,000 a year.

So, I do believe it is possible to change jobs and receive a significant raise. Good luck to you!

#1655781 - 01/25/12 06:00 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

[/quote]how is your prospective employer going to know what you currently make?[/quote]

Well.. simply by asking. Most employers, particularly the HR, will ask you during the initial phase of the interview. Only in rare occasion, you'll be able to bypass that question.

#1655795 - 01/25/12 06:12 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I disagree with that. Usually they ask what you are thinking for as far as salary goes. Whether you're thinking of a 10% raise or a 100% raise, it's up to you what you tell them. I've never had someone say "So what do you make now?"

#1655801 - 01/25/12 06:19 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had an employer ask me what I was currently making at my present job before. It's nothing out of the ordinary for them to ask. On most applications, you mark what your current pay scale is right? So what's the difference? Unless you lie on your application??

#1655811 - 01/25/12 06:38 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Perhaps the OP is changing positions within the banking industry and not just contemplating a lateral move or going from a small, rural market to a large, urban one. Either of those could have a big impact on salary.

#1655823 - 01/25/12 06:36 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
What you experience in a job interview can differ greatly based upon the job level as well, so we would all have different experiences. Some jobs, well that is the pay. Management positions have more flexibility and are negotiable.

#1655826 - 01/25/12 06:50 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I've been asked several times what my current salary was. It's been asked in interviews and on the job application. They will also ask what your desired salary is.

#1655913 - 01/25/12 07:51 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
When I was learning how to interview in college, a great professor/mentor of mine said, "You will always be asked what your desired salary is, and you will be a fool if you ever answer that question with a number." He advised letting the interviewer name a number first and negotiating up from there. If you give a number and it's $10,000.00 lower than what the interviewer was thinking, you just lost out big time. If pressed, give a vague answer or a range, e.g. "I know that your company is reputable and will pay a fair wage for the skill set and years of experience I bring to the job." If they press you, I'd respond something along the lines of, "I think for an initial salary, I'd like to start with a number in the $XX - $XXM range, with an opportunity for a salary review and increase after 90 days, once you see what I can offer." Don't paint yourself into a corner. Good luck!

#1656155 - 01/26/12 01:22 AM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is original anon...

My interview will be for a job not really really related to my work now, but in the same field. The salary range from the job description is almost double mine currently.

My issue is that I don't want to tell my boss I need time off for personal reasons because I'm sure they'll know what I'm up to. I am thinking about just calling in that morning saying I will be in late.

#1656170 - 01/26/12 12:49 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"I am thinking about just calling in that morning saying I will be in late."

And if you don't get the job and they then find out what you were up to, then you might find yourself without either position. Tell them ahead of time you need a few hours for personal reasons.

#1656176 - 01/26/12 01:19 PM Re: Job moving advice... rlcarey
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
I agree with rlcarey. Just tell them you need 1/2 day personal time. No other explanation needed!

#1656292 - 01/26/12 03:16 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that telling your supervisor that you need time off for personal reasons should be enough of an explanation, but it doesn't always work that way. I worked at a place that if you were sick, they wanted to know what was wrong and that was sent out in an e-mail to everyone in the bank when they let people know you weren't going to be in. Also, if you requested vacation time, they wanted to know what you were doing in order to approve it. Depending on if the supervisor thought it was a good enough reason or not, it might get approved. Funerals were another issue. They would ask the relationship and name of who passed away. They would decide if you knew the person well enough and look up wake and funeral times online. Nobody had taken advantage of anything in the past, it was all about control. When time off is handled this way it encourages people to lie about why they want the time off. This got a little off topic, but it might be why the OP doesn't feel they can just say they need personal time. That reason never would have flown at the bank I was describing.

#1656300 - 01/26/12 03:33 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"they wanted to know what was wrong and that was sent out in an e-mail to everyone in the bank when they let people know you weren't going to be in."

Sounds like a serious HIPAA violation to me.

#1656305 - 01/26/12 03:23 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Personal time is personal time. It's personal. Which means it's no one's business but the employee taking it.

Innerpartysystem

#1656451 - 01/26/12 04:57 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I agree that telling your supervisor that you need time off for personal reasons should be enough of an explanation, but it doesn't always work that way. I worked at a place that if you were sick, they wanted to know what was wrong and that was sent out in an e-mail to everyone in the bank when they let people know you weren't going to be in. Also, if you requested vacation time, they wanted to know what you were doing in order to approve it. Depending on if the supervisor thought it was a good enough reason or not, it might get approved. Funerals were another issue. They would ask the relationship and name of who passed away. They would decide if you knew the person well enough and look up wake and funeral times online. Nobody had taken advantage of anything in the past, it was all about control. When time off is handled this way it encourages people to lie about why they want the time off. This got a little off topic, but it might be why the OP doesn't feel they can just say they need personal time. That reason never would have flown at the bank I was describing.

Sounds like reason enough to leave.

CAMS

#1656551 - 01/26/12 06:37 PM Re: Job moving advice... edAudit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: EdAudit

And I did. smile

#1656552 - 01/26/12 06:37 PM Re: Job moving advice... edAudit

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

I agree. I would do what I had to do to take the time off to find a new job. Perhaps the OP can arrange an interview before or after work. Many companies do that as they understand the issues.

#1656622 - 01/26/12 07:35 PM Re: Job moving advice... Anonymous
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
I set up my interview on a Saturday morning. My thoughts were, if I was seen there on a Saturday, it would appear I was applying for a loan or doing some personal business like that. If I was there during business hours on a weekday, it might look suspicious.

The bank I am at now has alot of the same customers as my old bank. My new bank was very considerate when they approached me to come to work here, and they did not want to do anything to hurt me or get me fired.

On a side note- The day I gave my notice, two people came from the main bank to "talk to me". They had me closed up in an office trying to "pressure me" into staying. I politely excused myself from them, left the room, and made a few phone calls to my loved ones. I walked back in there and said. " I want to thank you for the opportunity I have had to work here. I do really appreciate the respect you have shown me to come over here and try to convince me to stay. This may be one of the biggest mistakes of my life, however I feel it is in my best interest to accept the other bank's offer. Thank you."

They asked me to leave immediately. I was locked out of the computer system. They let me count my cash drawer, but it was under supervision of the Compliance Officer. They took my keys and asked me to gather my things and leave.
Last edited by PStateBank; 01/26/12 07:35 PM. Reason: I'm starting to type like Dip =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale